A New Henna Thread

Aggie

This morning, so far I have on CP growth oil on my scalp and hair as a prepoo.

I have some leftover henna in a double boil warming up to apply after prepooing for about 30 minutes.

I will stretch the henna with some kalpi tone and amla powders and mix in some Nexxus Polymedic Emergency Reconstructor because my hair feels like it needs some strength.

Moisturizing today with APB Moisturizing Hair Lotion.

Plaiting my hair up and wigging for the day.

faithVA

I got much better indigo coverage this time. I still need to try a few things before I settle on a new regimen. I may try doing henna 1 week and letting it sit on for 2 to 3 hours. Then the following week do indigo for 2 to 3 hours. That way I can get more coverage for my grays with the longer henna sessions and then get better coverage for the indigo. I hate having to do that two weeks in a row but I will try it once.

I will also try a 2 hour of henna with a 2 hour indigo. It is hard for me to do any more than that since on top of that 4 hours I still need to add time for the shampoo and detangle prior to henna, henna application, henna rinse, indigo application, indigo rinse, LOC and then style. That's at least an extra 2 hours. Finding a 6 hour window every month is tough.

faithVA

^ that is why I mix the henna and indigo. I just don't have time to do one after the other

I tried that a few weeks ago and it didn't work for me. It didn't give me good gray coverage nor did it give me much indigo coverage. So I ended up having to do the whole process over in 2 weeks instead of my usual 4. If I could get it to work I would but I think my hair needs that henna to really bind to my hair before the indigo will do anything. I hated walking around for 2 weeks with copper hair :nono:

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
Another successful henna/indigo session. Those grays are covered and my hair feels strong! This was also the first time I did henna/indigo treatment on natural hair. It went so smoothly and seemed so much easier to apply and wash out compared to my relaxed or transitioning hair.

faithVA

Doing another henna/indigo before the holiday. Hopefully it will last me a month. I love this Jamilla henna so far. I think I have used 1 box for at least 4 applications and I have enough to get 1 more. It may be more but I know it has been at least 4.

I shampooed with Camille Rose Ginger Rinse, towel dried and applied the henna mainly to my roots. I am letting it sit for 3 hours. I said 4 but I'm ready to go to bed. I will do the indigo as a second step tomorrow morning and let it sit for 4. Hopefully, this will give me good coverage.

I remembered to oil my ends again to keep them from sticking together. Will do the same after I apply the indigo.

faithVA

I made it 3 hours. I rinsed but I probably should have rinsed my scalp some more. It feels a bit itchy. I put oil on my ends to keep my ends from tangling but no other product on my hair. I will rinse my hair in the morning and apply the indigo. I am shooting for 4 hours. I have a good covering on henna on my grays and my edges so this will be a good test.

I'm not going to lie, I am going to keep trying different timing ratios to get my time down as much as possible. This will show me what the results of a 3 to 4 hr ratio looks like. Next time I may try 2.5 to 2.5 hours and see how they compare. :yep:

faithVA

I wet my hair this morning so I could apply the indigo. This was a good and bad move. The bad, I could see the henna rinsing down the drain. When I looked in the mirror I could see that some of the henna had washed off my grays and hard to cover areas. The good, is that I now know these facts and can try making some adjustments to counter it.

I may need to do henna 3 days before my indigo to let the color set. It may be that I don't need to increase the time the henna and indigo are on my hair. I may just need to let the henna set in much longer before doing the indigo.

I tried doing indigo on dry hair before but it didn't work so well. I may have to try it again.

I have the indigo in now. I said I was going to do 4 hours but I think it is going to be 3 hours. I just can't mentally do more than 3 hours. :ohwell:

faithVA

Finally finished my indigo. I did about 3.5 hours. I rinsed in the sink because I didn't feel like trying to rinse in cool water and getting cold. I rinsed the indigo out with lukewarm water and then followed with cooler water. It rinsed out easily. I spritzed my hair heavily with my diluted leave-in and did some loose twist. I let my hair air dry for an hour.

So far my indigo application looks like it worked well. I will know more tomorrow. Letting my hair air dry for 1 hour seemed to definitely give my hair the time it needed to stabilize the indigo. When I touched it after the hour, the indigo wasn't coming off in my hands. I was able to blow dry my hair without a big mess.

Hope this last through mid December. Then I will try 2.5 hours of henna with 2.5 hours of indigo.

I have henna marinating in my hair right now. I applied it at 3 pm, I am trying to stay up till midnight. I'll wash it off and deep condition with Neutrogena Triple Moisture overnight.

lavaflow99

Another successful henna/indigo session. Those grays are covered and my hair feels strong! This was also the first time I did henna/indigo treatment on natural hair. It went so smoothly and seemed so much easier to apply and wash out compared to my relaxed or transitioning hair.

It's been a couple of weeks and I am seeing a lot of dark red strands. So the indigo didn't cover my grays as well as I would have liked. Though I guess it's better than the stark white strands I had. This is the second time I have used this brand of indigo (Zenia Indigo Powder) and I feel the one I used to get from hennasooq did a better job covering my greys.

ETA: I kept the indigo on my head for 2.5 hours. I am wondering if I should have kept it in longer.

Last edited:

lavaflow99

A conditioner wash is okay - just not a shampoo or oils added to your hair for 3 days following a henna/indigo treatment. The shampoo and oils strip the indigo from your hair in those 3 days following. It needs time to set in the hair before washing and/or oiling.

Hmm I wonder if oils could be the reason my indigo didn't take so well. After I washed it out, I moisturized by LCO and oiled my scalp with JBCO the next morning. :cry3: I won't discount this Zenia indigo just yet. :look: I'll see my results when I henna/indigo next time (aiming for January or February).

Damaris.Elle

I'm going to be using indigo on my hair to darken it. Does anyone use only the indigo (without using henna first) or do you have to use the henna first? I want my hair to be as dark as possible.

Aggie

I'm going to be using indigo on my hair to darken it. Does anyone use only the indigo (without using henna first) or do you have to use the henna first? I want my hair to be as dark as possible.
So sorry @Damaris.Elle, the indigo will only work with henna deposited on the hair. It will not adhere to your hair without it. The 2 step henna and indigo treatment yields the best dark hair results.

faithVA

I tried the surya Brazil henna cream color. So far I like it. I may replace my indigo step with this and do a henna on e a month and then use the surya brasil to get the dark color.

Aggie

I tried the surya Brazil henna cream color. So far I like it. I may replace my indigo step with this and do a henna on e a month and then use the surya brasil to get the dark color.
Hmmm, :scratchchin:. Looks like I may have to look into this one - you know, for research purposes :look:.

Aggie

So I just went on Amazon to check on this product and a lot of reviews are negative in regards to gray hair holding the color. @faithVA, did you use the black cream after a henna application or did you just add the Surya right onto your hair without a henna treatment?

faithVA

Hmmm, :scratchchin:. Looks like I may have to look into this one - you know, for research purposes :look:.
I will keep you posted. It's pricey around $15 but so far it looks like the only thing that may work. I want to see how long it lasts. My temporary color only lasted 2 weeks.

faithVA

So I just went on Amazon to check on this product and a lot of reviews are negative in regards to gray hair holding the color. @faithVA, did you use the black cream after a henna application or did you just add the Surya right onto your hair without a henna treatment?
I posted when I did my last henna which was probably right before Thanksgiving. I used the surya because the indigo had already started to disappear.

I did t do them back to back. And if it works for me I would do the henna once a month and do the surya as needed.

I read the reviews but my hair is different so I just tried it anyway.

Aggie

I posted when I did my last henna which was probably right before Thanksgiving. I used the surya because the indigo had already started to disappear.

I did t do them back to back. And if it works for me I would do the henna once a month and do the surya as needed.

I read the reviews but my hair is different so I just tried it anyway.
Thank you so much

Last edited:

faithVA

Thank yo so much

Hey Aggie,

So here is my hair right after the color treatment. So far I like it. I think it colors my grays well. I used the dark brown but my hair has really strong red undertones. I think I will combine the dark brown and black next time to see if I can get a deeper color.

AfterColor.jpg

My hair before color. I didn't get a really good picture but trust me it was gray
BeforeColorWithGray.jpg

This color lasted better than any semi-permanent color I have ever used. I found it at Vitamin Shoppe for $15 which was a bit cheaper than online.

LavenderMint

I meant to post earlier but somehow I completely forgot. I did my first henna treatment on the 26. My hair seemed to like it. Followed it up with DevaCurl Heaven in Hair, and the LCO method. I’ll be doing another one as soon as I can, preferably after a cut.

Aggie

Hey Aggie,

So here is my hair right after the color treatment. So far I like it. I think it colors my grays well. I used the dark brown but my hair has really strong red undertones. I think I will combine the dark brown and black next time to see if I can get a deeper color.

View attachment 420764

My hair before color. I didn't get a really good picture but trust me it was gray
View attachment 420766

This color lasted better than any semi-permanent color I have ever used. I found it at Vitamin Shoppe for $15 which was a bit cheaper than online.
Wow! I gatta say your results rock. It looks so pretty too. Thanks for sharing this hon.

lavaflow99

:bump:

Another henna-indigo treatment in progress. I mixed Jamila henna with coconut milk and letting it sit on my head for 2.5-3 hours right now.

Rozlewis

I had to skip my Henna gloss treatment las month and the grays are starting to show. I will Henna at the end of this month.

Aggie

I think I am going to add a little henna to my next ayur-shea butter blend. I didn't with the last one but I think it will be very helpful in adding strength to the blend.

faithVA

I ended up mixing my henna and indigo together by mistake. I wanted to use just the henna. Since I had already messed it up, I didn't let the tea cool, I just poured it in the mix and stirred it up. I covered it with plastic and let it sit overnight. I shampooed and put on the henna/indigo mix and let it sit for 1.5 hours.

I was surprised I got any coverage at all. But it worked OK. I'm just using this as a base for the Surya Brasil which I will use next week. I think it gives me deeper coverage when I have a henna base. I will see next week.