A New Henna Thread

Platinum

I noticed that the other Henna thread was getting really long. I hope you all don't mind if I start another.:look:

What brand of Henna are you using? Where do you purchase it? I'm using Jamila Brand. I purchased my first two boxes from a vendor that's no longer in business.:sad: I purchased my last two boxes from another member of LHCF. I'm still working on perfecting my henna mix.

Please feel free to share your tips and don't be afraid to ask questions. We're all here to help each other.

Here are a few links to some highly recommended vendors:

Henna For Hair
Henna Sooq
From Nature With Love

A few helpful links:

Frequently Asked Questions

Warnings

I hope this helps!

*Special thanks to Victorious!*:kiss:

ETA: Here's a link to the last thread. (Lots of wonderful info)

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=87256&highlight=henna

Last edited:

Platinum

I saw that in the Indian grocery store a few weeks ago but I didn't buy it. I may try that one next time.

BeautifulFlower

I use Karishma Herbal Henna. I purchase at the indian grocery stores. It is body art quality and 100% safe for relaxed hair. I use after every relaxer (about a week apart). You do not need to let this one sit overnight to release the dye. Just apply and sit under a hooded dryer. I love that it does that. However, I am a black hair freak so I indigo.

mj11051

I use jamila henna summer 2008 crop and I purchase it from here
www.mehndiskinart.com/hair_henna_dye.htm, He sells the same henna as hennaforhair and his prices are cheaper. I got 500 grans of henna today for 38.11 and that included shipping.

This is my mix. First i make a tea of chamomile and lavender flowers and let it sit overnight to get very strong. Then the next day I clarify my hair with a herbal tea infusion and baking soda, while my hair is still damp I mix my henna and apply to my damp hair, then wrap with saran wrap and cover that with plastic caps. I don't wait for dye release, because I leave my henna in overnight, so when the dye releases it release all in my hair. If I decide to use lemon juice it's only a capful as lemon juice can be drying. I don't add oils and honey because them can interfer with the dye uptake. HTH someone.

Last edited:

Jetblackhair

I use the Body Art Quality (BAQ) Henna for African Hair from HennaForHair. I buy the bundle that includes Indigo. I have a box of Jamila henna that I bought locally to give it a try.

My mix is simple, henna, water & some conditioner. I use it immediately and then I follow up with indigo.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I noticed that the other Henna thread was getting really long. I hope you all don't mind if I start another.:look:

What brand of Henna are you using? Where do you purchase it? I'm using Jamila Brand. I purchased my first two boxes from a vendor that's no longer in business.:sad: I purchased my last two boxes from another member of LHCF. I'm still working on perfecting my henna mix.

Please feel free to share your tips and don't be afraid to ask questions. We're all here to help each other.

I'm back on my henna kick now that I've figured out what I did wrong in relation to my texture today and the old technique I used in the past. Anyhoo, I found a product named Karishma at the Indian market yesterday. Since I bought half her stock, she gave me a 50cent discount per pack!!! I love this one because it's 5.5 ounces and has amla, bhringraj,shikakai, aritha and other herbs unnamed(???) in the ayurvedic treatment mix. I couldn't find bhringraj locally...not yet, so I'm delighted that I've got something cheap with all the ingredients I wanted in it.

Amerie123

my first time using henna was this past saturday with the reshma brand. and i liked it a lot. and i only saw the color for a few seconds because then i did the indigo, and boy, talk about some rich looking black hair. I liked, I liked a lot. However, after doing some more research, for my next batch (which will be 6 weeks from that sat), I will add a little amla powder to it just for the "moisture". but i still want to try the jamila brand that everyone speaks about, not to say that the reshma didn't do its job, because i guess it did (being my first time and all). but it's always good to have that comparison.

ETA: I have a question, do you guys dry your hair before putting the henna on? or do you apply to damp hair. I saw that the directions said apply to clean dry hair, so for the first time in ages, i pulled out the blow dryer, and set it on low to dry my hair prior to applying the henna. but i wanted to know what were u guys doing?
**also, great idea platinum for this thread!!!

Last edited:

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I usually buy Jamila brand henna from an Indian grocery store in Manhattan. I've also purchased from Henna Sooq & Henna too. I do hennas every 1-2 months. I plan on doing another one tomorrow night.

My routine:

• Mix 4 oz henna w/enough black tea in large container for a thick yogurt consistency
  • Let henna sit 12+ hours for color release
  • Add about 2 tbsp coconut oil and 2 tbsp light conditioner
  • Apply to clean dry/wet hair and cover with a plastic cap/bag.
  • Leave for an 1 hour with heating cap or a few hours without heat
  • Co-wash twice leaving second conditioner in longer before rinsing. (I rarely dc)
  • Apply a little oil sheen and roller set

Great thread Platinum! :yep:

AtlantaJJ

Good thread!

I use Henna for Hair and I used the Nupr brand the last time. The best thing I did for my henna mixes is to use chamomile tea as my liquid. I add a tablespoon of grapefruit juice as my color twerp, a little coconut oil and a couple tablespoons of conditioner. That's all. I clarify my hair then I pre-oil my hair with coconut oil, that helps with the rinse out. I also put it on, in sections and then I twist the section because I have bushy cottony 4 a natural hair this helps keep it under control. I am getting great results with henna... (which reminds me, I need to order some indigo :scratchch )

Iluvsmuhgrass

This is a great thread! For the first time, I let my henna (Jamilla) sit overnight after adding boiling hot water. Then I mix evoo, honey, conditioner (whatever I have on hand), and yogurt. I put a little bit of oil on my hair before applying. When I left the yogurt out of my mix, my hair was dryer/crunchy than with it in. I got soooo much color release that it looks like I dyed my hair! My hair hasn't been this color since I was a little girl (my hair would turn red when I was in the sun). You have to experiment until you get it right for YOUR hair.

:look: Now if I could just find my rosewater and perfect my rollersets I'd be on point...:yep:

AllieCat0817

An Indian friend of mine recommended Reshma brand to me. So I have some on my head right now. I mixed it this morning with tea (chamomile & nettle mixed) and paprika. I'ma quit using acids in my mix (I used to use lemon juice or ACV) since so many here say that you DON'T need the acid. I also ordered some Karishma that I can't wait to try- maybe next week or week after.

I had been using henna from Yemen from mehandi.com since Dec 2007. But so many RAVE about the Indian boxed henna that I had to try it, esp since it is mixed with the other hair herbs (amla etc). And the Indian boxed henna is WAY WAY WAY cheaper. The Reshma was like $3 for 200g. WAY cheaper.

LoveLiLi

You know, I got so caught up with Dominican products, SMB and growth aids that I forgot about my henna & indigo.

I was getting very interested in BKT because of the benefits: shine, strength, stretches curl etc. I was even contemplating spending $400+ to get it at a salon that I like when I remembered, I can get a-lot of the same benefits from henna - duh :rolleyes:.

So I just started back up with the henna. I was especially inspired to start again after seeing curly Nikki's page.

I'm using Reshma henna now, but I get whatever henna is available at the local Indian market, as long as it says herbal. The last 3-4 times I used henna first and then did indigo as a seperate step, but it's so dark that I may start mixing the henna and indigo together for a more natural look.

I don't make a paste; I make a very smooth gel by using pectin. The guy at the checkout counter at the Indian market told me to add sesame oil to my henna mix to get a darker color that lasts longer. He also said it makes hair silkier. I told him I only had vatika, coconut and amla and he said amla will work as well. I do have to say that adding amla oil to my henna mix made the red color noticeably darker.

Oh yeah, making a gel instead of a paste stretches the henna so I freeze the rest and just thaw it out when I'm ready to use it.

Last edited:

Orissa081

I love henna, especially the fact that it loosens my curl pattern and makes it easier to stretch between relaxers, I use BAQ henna which I get super cheap at the indian store-I get 500 grams for $9, and it lasts for about 4 uses and I have thick touching apl length hair. My mix constist of- well I'll tell you what I used in my last mix-and it turned out great! I used Henna with a dash of paprika( for color) warm red tea, and a little bit of lemon juice, I let it sit overnight and before I applied it I added some amla oil and a little herbal oil.

Buttercreme

Good thread!

I use Henna for Hair and I used the Nupr brand the last time. The best thing I did for my henna mixes is to use chamomile tea as my liquid. I add a tablespoon of grapefruit juice as my color twerp, a little coconut oil and a couple tablespoons of conditioner. That's all. I clarify my hair then I pre-oil my hair with coconut oil, that helps with the rinse out. I also put it on, in sections and then I twist the section because I have bushy cottony 4 a natural hair this helps keep it under control. I am getting great results with henna... (which reminds me, I need to order some indigo :scratchch )

What kind of results are you getting?

I have never used henna before, but this thread has me excited to finally try

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I just did henna for the first time. I ordered from Texas Natural supply, it was a good price but they didn't provide a brand name. I'm not doing it for the color but for the conditioning effects. My hair still looks black but in the sun you can see some color. I applied it on dry hair but next time i'm gonna try damp hair. I loved the effects, it made my hair stronger and it slowed down some of the horrendous shedding i've been having. My hair was and has been easy to detangle too. I don't think it loosened my texture noticeably but it did something. i'm gonna do weekly treatments a couple more times because i've heard you should do at least 3 to see what the lasting effects are gonna be.

As far as my mix, i just used water and let it sit for a few hours...before applying it I mixed in some yogurt and honey. Next time i'm gonna try conditioner and honey and see if it makes it easier to rinse. That was the only thing I didn't like was the rinsing. I rinsed at least 5 times and went through a whole bottle of VO5. I'm hoping that applying it on wet hair and using conditioner will make it easier to rinse out.

LaBella

Hi!
Question! My natural hair color is brown. I don't think red or black will suit my skincolor. Any advice? Or can I then better stay away from henna?
Is the color actually permanent or does it fade away?
(sorry if these are question were aswered before already, but I have been lurking for a long time, and it will take just a little more time, to get trough all the posts on the board :spinning: )

HealthyHair2007

Hey Ladies,
I use the Jamila brand. I mix mines with hot water. Once that is mixed, I add a whole egg. Mix that up and then add Suave Conditioner(which ever one I grab first), and coconut oil. May add a squig of lemon juice. I section my hair and slap it on. Put on my baggie, either get under the dryer for about 45 min or do things around the house to kill time.
I never have a problem washing it out. I use a clarifying shampoo for two washes and then a moisturizing shampoo( maybe because I do long washes). It always rinses out well. I then DC for 45 min and roller set the top. It turns out great every time.
I have been using henna almost 2 years now and the strength of my strands is my greatest accomplishment so far. I know once the hair is strong, it will then start gaining length......

oooop2

Henna is very drying and you should only do a treatment every 3-4 weeks and intensively moisturize after each and in between. Be careful with it.

I do a henna treatment every 12 days and a henna gloss every 7. Thus far, I haven't had an issue w/ dryness. However, I think the key is I cowash 4x/wk, herbal spritz hair 2x/day, and apply a very rich moisture to my strands daily.

Platinum

I think I'm going to take out my braids this weekend. Do you think it's too soon for me to henna or should I wait a while? I think I still have 4 more weeks before I end my 6 month stretch.

LoveLiLi

Hi!
Question! My natural hair color is brown. I don't think red or black will suit my skincolor. Any advice? Or can I then better stay away from henna?
Is the color actually permanent or does it fade away?
(sorry if these are question were answered before already, but I have been lurking for a long time, and it will take just a little more time, to get trough all the posts on the board :spinning: )

There are ladies who use henna, but don't wait for the color to release since they don't want to alter the color of their hair and some use cassia for its conditioning and shine enhancing properties instead of henna. You may want to do a search for their tips or you can go to the hennaforhair site.

The color of henna does change, it takes a couple of days to oxidize/ settle into the way it will look long term. The initial color does fade over the next few months, but not completely. I believe that if you want to completely get rid of the henna color you have to grow it out. I'm not sure if you can successfully color over henna'd hair; I'm sure some of the other ladies know.

It is possible to get a red, deep burgundy red, chocolate-y brown or black by combining henna with amla, indigo , red wine or a variety of other ingredients. You can go to the color chart on Hennaforhair and look at the recipe of those who have a color you'd like.

LoveLiLi

I think I'm going to take out my braids this weekend. Do you think it's too soon for me to henna or should I wait a while? I think I still have 4 more weeks before I end my 6 month stretch.

I don't think it's too soon. It may actually be a good time since henna adds strength to the hair.

hurricane

I made a Henna Herbal rinse awhile ago:

6 oz water
Henna
Honey
Evoo
Coconut oil

Yes it dripped everywhere:ohwell: but after I rinsed my hair it felt like silk.

This was for conditioning purposes.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I do a henna treatment every 12 days and a henna gloss every 7. Thus far, I haven't had an issue w/ dryness. However, I think the key is I cowash 4x/wk, herbal spritz hair 2x/day, and apply a very rich moisture to my strands daily.

It's like anything else, what works for you should be a keeper. For relaxed hair, fully developed henna in application can be very drying. It's diff. for natural hair.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I use henna from fromnaturewithlove.com. It works great for me and in the light makes my hair appear a deep burgundy.

I henna every 10 weeks now. When I got started I did it once a month for 6 months, just until I got the color I liked.