A newbie needs help!

msjones

Hello! A newbie here again!!!

First of all, I just want to say that I've been a member of LHCF for about a week now. You ladies are an AMAZING inspiration!!!!! My whole life I've been surrounded by black women who use grease to 'moisturize' their hair, and swear that EVERYTIME they get a relaxer touch up that they have to trim, or their hair will break off.

My hair journey started out when I first read Cynthia Howse's book on how to grow black hair.

Yesterday, I tried my first straight rollerset...I usually only rollerset when I want curly hair. I LOVE it. The only thing is...I'm trying to stretch my relaxer to 8 weeks (i used to go 3.5 weeks, so that's a lot for me...i get new growth fast, but end up just cutting it), so the new growth has forced my hair to be puffy looking!

How do I get rid of this puffy look? Otherwise, my hair is shiny, and feels super strong since I used Nexxus Emergencee w/ a deep conditioner before my roller-set. It LOOKS nice, but there is also NO slip! I have no idea how to get my hair to be silky without flat-ironing, or getting my hair washed at the salon.

ALSO, I tried co-washing mid-week, and it just made my hair weighed down and greasy looking.

I'm just super confused and looking for some advice from all you ladies w/ beautiful, bouncy hair!!!! Thanks!!!!!

Last edited:
Hi there!

Welcome!

I've only been here six weeks so I don't have all the answers to your questions. But, I'll tell you about some products that are working for me.

1. Puffy new growth. Sunsilk Straighten-Up 24/7 creme. You can get it at Wal-Mart, Target etc. You apply it to your hair as a leave-in before you rollerset. It is creamy and does straighten your hair out.

2. Protein and Deep-Conditioning. I have VERY dry hair. Every other week, I use Aphogee 2-min reconstructor half and half with Proclaim Shea Butter and Aloe Condish. It is moisturizing. I leave that in for 5 minutes, rinse, then DC with ORS replenishing mixed with Sallys Generic Nexxus Humectress or cholesterol. Lots of slip, strength, moisture and no breakage. Every six weeks I use the hard Aphogee protein, I finish that up with two moisturizing conditioners and use one as a DC.

3. Another member here: Macheriamour has a blog with video tutorials about blowing out your roots and doing a wrap with saran wrap, to cut the flat iron out of your hair care. It is wonderful! Her blog is a healthytextures.com.

I haven't done co-washes yet.

Welcome!

I have been in the hair game for a few years now. Congrats on taking steps to improve your hair's health. If condition washing didnt work for you, dont worry. It doesnt work for me either. As a newbie, you have to remember that what works for X wont always work for Y. Concerning hair puffy-ness, have you tried tying your hair down at night or for an hour or so before you leave the house? Good luck on your first stretch! I'm sure you'll do great.

MizzEsq said:
Welcome!

I have been in the hair game for a few years now. Congrats on taking steps to improve your hair's health. If condition washing didnt work for you, dont worry. It doesnt work for me either. As a newbie, you have to remember that what works for X wont always work for Y. Concerning hair puffy-ness, have you tried tying your hair down at night or for an hour or so before you leave the house? Good luck on your first stretch! I'm sure you'll do great.

Thanks!! My mom, who is now in a hair journey hopefully herself, always had my touch my hair up at first signs of "puffiness", which I now know is wrong! Thanks for your encouragement!!

I think I'm going to try blowing out my roots like Macherieamour's tutorial shows. I also just received my order of Mizani Thermamooth. I'm going to try it w/ heat the first time. I figure since its meant to work with heat that it won't be damaging (???)

Don't give up the fight! I know that it's hard at first and a little overwhelming to get your own style together (I'm still working on mine) but just stay positive. You'll be retaining length before you know it!

How about Caruso rollersets. I know many of the ladies use them since it not direct heat like a flat iron or hot comb or blow dryer.

And if you are using a heat protectant, then I think your hair will thrive with the Caruso rollersets or even dryer hoods rollersets.

God bless you in your hair journey and in the words of Tavis Smiley, "Keep the faith." *smiles*

Welcome, welcome Welcome!! It is awesome to "meet" you! :lol:

Here's what I do for the non-frizzy rollerset (been doing it this way for 3 years w/ no problem).

1. I make sure that my hair is soaking wet and in pre-made sections. I do not towel blot my hair. Make sure to also use a good leave-in. I also have a small bowl of water to dip rollers in. Yes, I use soaking wet rollers on my hair. Trust me, it makes a difference.

2. I use a rattail comb *shudder* to comb through small sections of hair while rollersetting. I use the two-prong clips as opposed to the snap on "thingies."

3. I roll my hair tautly. If you have your hair parted in about 5 sections, your roll time will significantly decrease. Sometimes I have to spray my hair with water because it dries fast.

4. After spraying oil sheen on my rolled hair, I tie it up with a crocheted hair net (sold at Sally Beauty Supply) so my rollers don't fall out while I am under the dryer. I make sure I sit under the dryer so that my hair is completely dry. Completely. Sometimes I even put it on the cool/lowest setting 10 minutes before getting out of the dryer to "lock" the curl.

I hope that helps. Everyone here is very friendly and willing to help, as I am.

Love,

Ankers

anky said:
Welcome, welcome Welcome!! It is awesome to "meet" you! :lol:

Here's what I do for the non-frizzy rollerset (been doing it this way for 3 years w/ no problem).

1. I make sure that my hair is soaking wet and in pre-made sections. I do not towel blot my hair. Make sure to also use a good leave-in. I also have a small bowl of water to dip rollers in. Yes, I use soaking wet rollers on my hair. Trust me, it makes a difference.

2. I use a rattail comb *shudder* to comb through small sections of hair while rollersetting. I use the two-prong clips as opposed to the snap on "thingies."

3. I roll my hair tautly. If you have your hair parted in about 5 sections, your roll time will significantly decrease. Sometimes I have to spray my hair with water because it dries fast.

4. After spraying oil sheen on my rolled hair, I tie it up with a crocheted hair net (sold at Sally Beauty Supply) so my rollers don't fall out while I am under the dryer. I make sure I sit under the dryer so that my hair is completely dry. Completely. Sometimes I even put it on the cool/lowest setting 10 minutes before getting out of the dryer to "lock" the curl.

I hope that helps. Everyone here is very friendly and willing to help, as I am.

Love,

Ankers

I do the exact same thing rattail comb and all! The key is rollersetting your hair while soaking wet, because when wet it lays flat. As it dries it will curl a little which causes the poofy frizzy stuff.

You can try to blow out the roots, but with shorter hair I would use a flat iron instead. Just use a low temperature.

If your not concerned with the curls from the rollerset, then wrap your hair and do a saran wrap like Mach's does in her tutuorial. www. healthytextures.com

To make your NG more manageable, just mist with water and moisturized with water based moisturizer (just a little amount ) and seal with an essential oil like EVOO, Jojoba, Vatika, Sweet Almond, etc. Then gently comb (wide tooth) or brush through. Then wrap with a raw silk or satin scarf. Do this nightly and you should be able to stretch for longer than 8 weeks. Also, keep your hair washed weekly.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks, Guys!!! I did everything except dip the rollers in water....good idea.

Also good call on misting/moisturizing/oiling the roots.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

I followed Macherieamour method: after I rollerset my hair: instead of wrapping my hair w/ saran wrap: i'll blow out my roots: then wrap it so my roots are smooth and straight

Back