A Newcomer's Guide To Starting Out

Lucia

Bees said:
I, too am a new member of this forum. I am having a ball trying to absorb all this information. Question about the baggie method...I usually wrap my hair at nite and roll the ends up with Mango Butter in the morning before taking a shower. I have been doing this for the last few months in an effort to keep the flat irons out of my hair. Could I also wrap my hair at nite and sleep with a plastic cap on?
Yes you can, using a plastic cap is just a bigger baggie, I use this myself because I have a braided weave in now and can't wear the phonytail.

Lucia

Tips for newbies and links for baggie

Welcome
If you want growth and health with visible results some tips that worked for many here:
1. Keep your hair moisterized--CW condtioner washes really help with this some do them daily, some 2-3x/week. Scurl or sta soft fro, Infusium 23, mango and shea butters, coconut or monoi (tiare) oils. The oils and butters are to seal in the moisture once you've put your leave in scurl etc... in. No lauryl/laureth sulfate shampoos, shampoo less CW more.

2. once you have your hair moisterized to keep the moisture in you may want to try the baggie method, there full baggie-plastic cap, or bun baggie you can wear a phony pony or just a bun cover.
Baggie challenge post
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/fo...ead.php?t=64951

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/fo...ead.php?t=64951

How to do the baggie with and withour a phonypony.
http://www.picturetrail.com/adrienne0914

http://www.picturetrail.com/adrienne0914

3. Trimm (dustings) only when needed, try to do them yourself or get someone you really trust or who does exactly what you tell them to do to help. Don't just get scissor crazy and cut off length. Stay away from scissor crazy stylists a trimm for them starts @ 2 inches they want ends sharp and even, if your not 3 inches passed your goal length or wearing your hair pin-straight daily this will mess you up because most peoples hair grows in sections some sections grow faster then the rest catch up. This means they will be cutting off your progress. this was long but I hope it helps.
Drink plenty of watertoo, and think about vitamins.

Last edited:

cocowhite

Hi I'm newbie and this is my first post. I have been lurking around here for awhile and finally to decided to pay to play...I know I will definitely enjoy
I will update my profile soon with my album and hair information.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
cocowhite said:
Hi I'm newbie and this is my first post. I have been lurking around here for awhile and finally to decided to pay to play...I know I will definitely enjoy
I will update my profile soon with my album and hair information.
Welcome and good luck on your hair journey!! :wave:

offthechainliz

wow, this is great information! I haven't been on the boards for a while and this is like a good recap for me.

thanks DSD you are godsent :kiss:

Candy_C

hey i'm a newbie but i've been lurking for nearly a YEAR! i have gained alot of brilliant advice (thanks to all) and my hair was so damaged b4, it was barely shoulderlength (novemebr 04) and NOWWWW its past armpit!!! thankyou so much i could kiss all of y'all....but i wont bother lol xXx :D

curlyj

Thanx so much for posting this...very helpful as I am a newbie as well....I do hope that I experience as much success as the veterans of LHCF

I'm natural and colored, so I know I need all the help I can get to get my desired length and overall HEALTH!
Great Thread!!!

brownsugar9999

Candy...like you I'm a newbie.....lurked for a while...gave in...glad I did.

Lucia....YOUR HAIR IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! How do you do it?

DSD......(*guru*) :notworthy I applaud you for your dedication and willingness to help all of us follicularly challenged people here
My husband is shaking his head at me b/c I have PJ ism at it's WORST and now I'm on a whole new level after reading some of the posts!!!!

Thank you ladies!!!

Cooyah

thanks so much for all this information, i have been trying to figure out for so long but i had some great tips from Robin Woods who has the www.growafrohairlong.com.. thanks again

kimcelestain

Just wanted to say Hello!! To Everyone! I'm a Young Black Man Struggling, but considering all things, not doing to terrible at keeping my hair healthy! I'm Currently Working in the middle East so the quality and/or conditions of the water I'm using to wash my hair is definitely the pits and I will read dsd's guide and return when I've thoroughly read it and have questions which more than likely I will! Right now my hair is about a 1\4 of an inch below my shoulders! When I get a chance I will upload some photos to see what you think because honestly that breakdown of hair types was crazy and I've probably got characteristics of all 4 types! Oh yeah haven't really seen any men on this forum but hey hair is hair whether man or woman ...... I guess! Anyway God bless and I'll talk to you all in a minute!

Peace!

Kim Celestain
N.M.T.B.N.
(Not Meant To Be Neat)
LIFE

A Glimpse of Eternity / we wallow in the wishful thinkings too frightened to peek out the doors of society's plantation/ and push the envelope

wilmaty

Pepples,

I appreciate the information and since I am a newby I was wondering if you have any suggestions for a teenager that is transitioning from a relaxer back to natural, and for myself. I am 2 mos. loc'd.:perplexed

CinnaMocha

I am finally a member with full benefits and looking forward to a lot progress with my hair on this board. It was hard hanging out in the background and not being able to jump in or ask pertinent questions. Glad to be a part of this fine community!

:)

wilmaty

Help! I am a newcomer to the group and I am trying to find out as much as I can to help myself and my daughters into the long hair world. I have gone through the attachment and created my own list. I have one problem though, I have no idea what some of the acronyms mean! Can someone help me out with a list? I would appreciate it. I have been looking through the threads to find out what they mean.

SweetCaramel1

wilmaty said:
Help! I am a newcomer to the group and I am trying to find out as much as I can to help myself and my daughters into the long hair world. I have gone through the attachment and created my own list. I have one problem though, I have no idea what some of the acronyms mean! Can someone help me out with a list? I would appreciate it. I have been looking through the threads to find out what they mean.

Hi. I'm new too! There is a list of acronyms on this website. If you look on the same page where you accessed this link/heading. It's the fourth one down!

Happy growing to you and your daughters!

wilmaty

Hey offthechainliz, and SweetCaramel1! I found it! Thank you both for the help. My oldest did the Baggie method today under her ponytail. My baby is a basketball player and wears cornrows most of the time. I have to figure out a way to keep her moisturized. Again, thank you both. I am on my way!

churchie

This forum is a god send. I am so glad I found you. Looking for help with my daughters hair, the first thing I learned here was to let go of the baby shampoo by you know who and moisturize! A wonderful difference can be seen in just two weeks. Thank you ladies.

I continued to peek in just about every day viewing your different albums and became inspired to say the least. I've joined and am now on my mission to grow healthy hair (for myself and my daughter), and if we gain great lengths that is just icing on the cake.

Motivator01

Newbie myself and was looking for a Newbie challege. I did the big chop back in August 05 but just found the forum in December and I must say 'IT CHANGED MY LIFE" hope I am not being over zealost but I am on here alll the time and I mean all the time (lol) when I can steal a free moment for myself I am on the furum. DSD'S webpage is the best for info and it got me on my way ... SO COUNT ME IN for the NEWBIE CHALLEGE

juicy555

I would love a newbie challenge. Right now I'm just shooting for healthy hair, but my eventual goal is mid back. Hair's very short (earlobe) colored and relaxed. Yes I know now this is bad. Add postpartum. Can you say BREAKAGE!! :eek:SHEDDING?!:eek:

Nice & Wavy

pebbles said:
Courtesy of DSD a/k/a Dontspeakdefeat. :clap:
If you are new here, and would like a starting point, this is the best you can find!! It's absolutely complete. http://journals.fotki.com/dontspeakdefeat/newcomer/ Also, I normally wouldn't post a link to someone's album, but DSD is my girl, and her album is excellent! If you have a question, the odds are great that you'll find the answer here. :up: http://public.fotki.com/dontspeakdefeat/

:wave:

Hi, I'm a newbie and have been a lurker for sometime now! :lol: I am so happy to be a member of LHCF. You ladies have been a blessing to me. My hair has changed so much since coming to this forum. I'm not ready to do the Big Chop yet. I will wait until my newgrowth is shoulder length and then "Chop, Chop!!! I'm in on the challenge to have healthy, long hair!

God Bless you to all of you who have shared your hair problems and successes for people like me. Looking for to sharing my info with you all too!

Hopefully, I'll be able to start a new album and share my photos with you all. God bless you.:newbie:

Last edited:

Teacake

Long time lurker, new at posting.
I have learned so much from everyone at this site. It's filled with so much useful information, and positive people. Thanks LHCF!

Teacake
LHCF Newbie

mashbaba1

I have been a longtime lurker, but decided to jump right in. I would also love a newbie challenge. I have learned sooooo much from this site, and hopefully my hair will become as long and healthy as alot of others that i have seen here.:)

growingbrown

I have finally decided to join this forum. I plan to be apart of your challanges and grow my hair long. I am currently shoulder lenght and seems to be staying there. My hair type I think is 4a/b. I have relaxed hair and plain to streach my relaxer until June. My last relaxer was December 31, 2005. I plan to take the crown and glory challange, I am in braids now. I hope that all of you can help me and I hope that I can be of help also. When I can buy a camara or figure out how to use my cell phone camara, I will post pictures.

Thank you for your time in reading this post....

Cien

Pink is my signature color
pebbles said:
Courtesy of DSD a/k/a Dontspeakdefeat. :clap:
If you are new here, and would like a starting point, this is the best you can find!! It's absolutely complete. http://journals.fotki.com/dontspeakdefeat/newcomer/ Also, I normally wouldn't post a link to someone's album, but DSD is my girl, and her album is excellent! If you have a question, the odds are great that you'll find the answer here. :up: http://public.fotki.com/dontspeakdefeat/

:wave:

Wow.. pardon my manners!! I should have stopped by this post FIRST, before I started posting out there!

Hello Ladies!! I'm a newbie, however I've been lurking heavily since July 2005,and I just decided to join. And I just want to THANK YOU ALL for all of this WONDERFUL information!!!:)

Dontspeakdefeat, I have printed all of the information from your album, and it is full of highlights, checkmarks, underlines...and notes from the methods that I've tried!!! I've also printed out SouthernGirl's relaxer tips--and it was a great help when I self relaxed last year!!

I've been wearing a bun/baggie since last summer, and my hair is sooooooo much healthier because of it!

And check this out, while at my pt job at Walmart, I sparked a convo with a customer who had some Nexxus products from the salon in her buggy. We started talking about hair, and come to find out, that SHE is a member on this board!!!!! Can you believe that?!! And she about DIED when I pulled my bun off and showed her my baggie!! LOLOL! :grin:

And check this-----when I visited my sister in MS last August, she kept questioning me about my bun/baggie. I just told her that I was trying to get my hair healthy again. But she sorta turned her nose up at me for wearing it everyday.
When I saw her again at Christmas, my hair hadn't grown very much, maybe a couple of inches, but it was SOOOO MUCH healthier with this nice sheen. She said--"what are you doing to your hair? It looks so good!!" I was like--- uh--huh... you were dissing my bun a few months ago, and NOW you wanna know what I'm doing!!.. lol

Anyway, this board has been truly been a miracle discovery for me!!! A God-send for real! I think I became a pj after my first month of finding this board!! The lil Korean man at my BSS knows my first name now! lol

I've bought and tried everything from the MTG, to the Elasta QP Mango Butter (which I LOVE, LOVE LOVE!!) to the S-Curl for the new growth, to just a plethora of other products!!

I apologize for the long post, but I just want to say hello--and thank you to all of you ladies for your information!! :)

SweetAKA

Hey Ladies,

Just wanted to say hello and that I am a newbie, but I have been lurking on this board for awhile. I really want to thank everyone on here, from the newbie’s (asking questions that I know I wanted to ask), to the veterans for giving awesome advice and encouragement. I've been through a lot just in the past few months, dealing with a small bout of skin cancer and just knowing that I can grow my hair back healthy and full has really given me something to look forward too.
So I just want to say thanks a lot to everyone. Even though I don’t know you, you've helped me out a lot. So I cant wait to get into some challenges and convo's. :D So peak out my fotki album and I will be updating it on a regular basis, leave comments and suggestions to help me along on my journey.

dcstarr

This site is great. This weekend I stumbled upon this site and I swear I've been on this thing for hours since then :lol: I have a LOOOONG hair journey ahead but this place has given me some inspriation and guidance already. Thanks!