A Newcomer's Guide To Starting Out

CreoleInDC

If you're just starting out as I am...you're welcome to check out my site as I'm taking all of the info I'm learning here, at BBBS and Diaspora and trying it all out. I'm pretty honest about what worked for my hair and what didn't.

KiniKakes

This guide is sooo excellent, and absolutely THOROUGH. Its just great to have all the information compiled in such an organized manner, because all of the various products, ideas, regiments, etc. on the board can be so overwhelming. Thanks so mch for putting this together, DSD. :)

adassa

Thank you sooooo much for this post. I am new to the site and this is exactly what I needed.

Last edited:

culbreth732

hi guys i am new and want to know what products to use? i only get a perm every 3 months and my hair length is mid back. the perm my hairdresser use is affriam is this good and what shampoos do i need to use please help me. because i am so lost. thanks

PeopleTalkDaily

Good Morning Guys:
I am excited...I have joined and it has taken me two days to get in touch with paypal. Needless to say, I have joined and here now and sooooooo
excited..

I am a newbie...I have started my lil notebook of notes and have tons of questions. I hope I don't work everyone nerves with my questions.

anyhow, I found out about your sight through someone off of myspace. I currently have braids in my hair that I am taking out next week. My hair is in bad shape I will be taking pictures next week to and start my journal.

I was wearing the weave and my hair had got healthy and started letting people fool in my hair and it feel out so about six months ago I cut it all off wore the weaves and got braids about a two months ago. I haven't had a perm in the front of my hair for about two months. My goal is to wear my hair natural to about the end of July. Just want it to breathe. My first question is should I put the braids back in or just put the weave back in? My issue with the braids is my edges are real thin...What can I do about that?

I have also purchased MSM powder and Biotin..I have started taking yesterday. I am taking one teaspon of MSM powder in Milk..Can i do that? Is that to much or to little?

With me taking a multi-vitamin, MSM powder and biotin-is that ok? I am not overdosing am I?

A sista in need of help..
I think that is all I am going to ask for now..
But I will be back..

Thanks guys..:)

PeopleTalkDaily

Oh yeah-How do I figure out what my hair type is?

I haven't had a perm in my sides and back area in about six-seven months. It's been about two months or more for my bang area. I don't have color in my hair..

So If someone could help me with finding out my hair type..:eek:

thanks

Rashida

Hello, my name is Rashida I'm new to this site. I have read numorous postings that have helped me tremendously, however I'm having a hard time learning to do twist outs please help!
Thanks,

lashay06

Wonderful Information..Greatly Appreciated..Thanks soooo much for getting us newbies on the right track.:p

Cayenne0622

pebbles said:
Courtesy of DSD a/k/a Dontspeakdefeat. :clap:
If you are new here, and would like a starting point, this is the best you can find!! It's absolutely complete. http://journals.fotki.com/dontspeakdefeat/newcomer/ Also, I normally wouldn't post a link to someone's album, but DSD is my girl, and her album is excellent! If you have a question, the odds are great that you'll find the answer here. :up: http://public.fotki.com/dontspeakdefeat/

:wave:
I'm new to the site but not new to researching hair care. I tried to click on the link to read the information in this journal but my company has it firewalled so I can't view it. I was wondering if someone could post it in this thread for restricted folks like me? If this has already been done, please forgive me for asking. I just didn't want to read through all of the pages in this post to look for it.

BrooklynSouth

Hello. My lurking has ended and I'm so glad to be amongst you all. The STARTING PAGE:kisses: is so very helpful, ie..condition wash, baggies, protective styles et. al. I have learned so much! I'm about 18 inches from the top of my head root to my ends.The joke is the left side is 14 inches. I did not even realize that until a new hairdresser brought it to my attention. {I don't know how I never noticed the discrepancy.} Changed hair salon 'cause previous hair salon refused to trim my ends over 9 months plus never informed me how my edges were thinning and breaking. Wow, the foul things I/they used to do to damage my hair {combing from root, color with relaxing, hot blowdrys}:whip: . My goal is to add six inches a year, maintaining the 'normal' growth rate for hair and to take responsibility for my hair health. My products are so many since I've started reading the LHCF archives. I've checked my rotating products and am surprised at the list! {Thank goodness for my new Sally's card}STIMULATORS & GROWTH
HAWAIIAN SILKY -MIRACLE WORKER 14 IN 1{not tried yet}
ORGANIC ROOT STIMULATOR-OLIVE OIL MOISTURIZING HAIR LOTION {wonderful stuff}
PARVENU T-TREE GROWTH CREME {good stuff} KUZ REGENERATING CREAM {hair dresser recommended this}

DR. MIRACLES ANTI BREAKAGE STRENGTHINING CREME {good stuff} AVON DRY END SERUM {the best, quick hair smoother}}
CONDITIONERS
SILICON MIX {good when wanting full, natural look}
MISS KEY 10 EN 1 SUPER CONDITIONER {good stuff}
FRUCTIS FORTIFYING CONDITIONER {love this}

PARVENU- LEAVE IN CONDITIONER THERMASILK MOISTURE INFUSING CONDITIONER {untried}
HOLLYWOOD BEAUTY CARROT CHOLESTEROL CONDITIONER

PAUL MITCHELL THE CONDITIONER- LEAVE IN MOISTURE CONDITIONER {expensive but where's the shine?}
SHAMPOO
THERMASILK MOISTURE INFUSING SHAMPOO {untried} FRUCTIS FORTIFYING SHAMPOO { love the silky results}

IMPLEMENTS
COMARE HARD RUBBER COMB {couldn't do without}
DENMAN WIDE FLAT PADDLE BRUSH {couldn't do without}
SILK SCARVES {essential}
LARGE HOLE COTTON HAIR NET {yes, I know but the silk slips sometimes}
DAILY SUPPLEMENTS
ONE A DAY MULTIVITAMIN
2 TBLS APPLE CIDER VINEGAR & BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES
Kinda long but, confession is good for the roots.
Glad to meet you. Pix ASAP
BrooklynSouth

mppaul2

This is great:grin: glad to know being the last to discover a good thng isn't a bad thing!! Thank you sooooo much!!

F

from36to38

mightycute912 said:
Can someone explain what the hair type mean? I see 1, 2a, 4a, etc. What is that?:confused:

CLICK ON "HOME" AT THE TOP LEFT OF THE PAGE AND GO TO "HAIR TYPE"...I'M A NEWBIE AND A 4B :grin:

ALWAYZL8

I'm new to the board and I enjoyed the post as well. I am having trouble finding a good moisturizer. I don't want to turn into a PJ. I'm on a tight budget, but I will spend what is necessary on good products that I will use until I have to squeeze the bottle. I'm also trying to figure out my hair type. I need a hair twin!

kls4c03

Thanks so much!! This is very helpful and I feel a little less frustrated about my hair. I'm setting up my blog and album so I can track my progress.

prettypuff1

hey, I am here with you. i am going to get some pics up this weekend to start tracking. i am going to start my vitamins tomorrow and my treatments this weekend. i may splurge and buy a lace front wig for one of my protective styles

CrystalRain

Thanks sooo much!! This information is incredibly helpful. This and the acronyms should be automatically emailed to everyone who joins. I still have a ton to learn but I feel a little less lost now!!:D

Naphy

This post is very useful ! It was the first thing which helped me to learn on hair care ever ^^ It's a must see !

DKO

Thanks ladies for all the informative information. As a newbie I'm in the process of developing my regimine. Can anyone suggest a good daily moisturizer that does not leave your hair greasy?

Kali*Ma

:yay: ...Thank You so much for this info. I am definitely a newbie...and dont know where to begin...:perplexed ...but im so happy that someone has this for us to learn from.