A Newcomer's Guide To Starting Out

mohair

Thank you so much for posting this information. I am a newby and I was feeling extremely overwhelmed with all the information that is available. I now know how to get started with my own regimen. Thanks giving me some direction.

gogo

I'm still pretty new as well & was wondering if this site has a "product review" section...so many members have posted great reviews on everything from protein treatments to styling gels to hairbrushes. It would be great to be able to read & compare opinions of those who have personal experience with the specific product I'm considering buying. (maybe a "sticky" could be started listing alphabetized product reviews ?) I realize I can do a search for each new prospective purchase but often there are so many posts regarding a single product (say LUST or Salerm or Surge) that the information one needs may be weighed down by the sheer volume of pages...just a suggestion!

Erika Kane

Thank you SOOO much for this link! I had a list about six pages long of products and reviews I wanted to go through with a highlighter... felt like finals time! :look:

LoriLOCX

This posting is right on time :woot:
I think I've seen a few postings lately for newcomers (like me... :D ) who have all these questions as soon as they arrived at LHCF. Thank you for putting it here.

LoriLOCX

DSD....all I can say is WOW!!!! I read your stuff....you are truely a veteran with an awesome track record :yay: :clapping: ...and btw, your hair is da bomb!!!

I just wanted you to know that I viewed your album and saw your instructions to create the Bantu knots. I've just tried them and I'm soooooo pleased!!!!! This is REALLY,,REALLY...an awesome protective style for ANY LENGTH hair.

Thinking about posting a "Newbie Starter Challenge", and would love it if a few good veterans like yourself would be there for moral support....if there are some questions along the way.

It can be a bit overwhelming when you have so many questions, and just don't know that it was probably already addressed in a posting. Speaking for myself, when I first found the board (just a few weeks now), I just went crazy...trying to read everything, ask everything, try everything...yeah, i became a junkie quick!!! But there is consistency to what is tried and true.

So, a newbie challenge to follow this posting would be great!!!

dontspeakdefeat said:
Pebbles you are too sweet for words!! :kiss:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Welcome LoriLOCX! :wave:

Thank you for you kind words!! :kiss:

I am so elated that you find my guide helpful! I created this guide just for newbies like you. This board is huge and has massive information. It can be hard to navigate and do searches on what you are looking for. Hence this guide. I wanted to put the basics together for those who just want to get started on the way to healthy hair.

I am glad that the bantu set worked out for you!! :yep:

As far as a newbie challenge, I don't see any reason why you cannot start one. I would love to help you out where you need it. There are many challenges on the board. I started the baggie challenge back in December and the Super Grow Out challenge in January. I wish you all the luck in getting your hair were you want it be and in reaching your hair goals. Remember patience is the main ingredient in growing our hair to great lengths. Take care. -DSD

LoriLOCX

dontspeakdefeat said:

I am so elated that you find my guide helpful! I created this guide just for newbies like you. This board is huge and has massive information. It can be hard to navigate and do searches on what you are looking for. Hence this guide. I wanted to put the basics together for those who just want to get started on the way to healthy hair.

As far as a newbie challenge, I don't see any reason why you cannot start one. I would love to help you out where you need it. There are many challenges on the board. I started the baggie challenge back in December and the Super Grow Out challenge in January. I wish you all the luck in getting your hair were you want it be and in reaching your hair goals. Remember patience is the main ingredient in growing our hair to great lengths. Take care. -DSD

YOU ARE THE BOMB DIGGITY GIRL!!!!!!
:bdance: :woot: :yay: :clap:
I'm going to send you a private message with a quick outline. I would love it if you would just review it to see if this would be a good way to go. Tweak it if you feel it's needed. I don't mind the help!!!

If there's anyone in here that wants to come to the 'NEWBIE GROWING OUT PARTY'....I'll post back here when it's ready and give you the link.

I CAN'T WAIT......DSD.....YOU'VE MADE MY NIGHT!!!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
LoriLOCX said:
YOU ARE THE BOMB DIGGITY GIRL!!!!!!
:bdance: :woot: :yay: :clap:
I'm going to send you a private message with a quick outline. I would love it if you would just review it to see if this would be a good way to go. Tweak it if you feel it's needed. I don't mind the help!!!

If there's anyone in here that wants to come to the 'NEWBIE GROWING OUT PARTY'....I'll post back here when it's ready and give you the link.

I CAN'T WAIT......DSD.....YOU'VE MADE MY NIGHT!!!!

Thanks!! I am glad to see you are excited about growing some hair and helping others.

Lilpretty1125

I'd love to be a part of the newcomer's challenge! I too am so glad that this site was created and DSD, you are awesome! your tips and instructions are just what I need to help me during my Super Growth challenge.

dontspeakdefeat said:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Thanks! :kiss:
It sounds like you are crunk about growing some hair!

Lilpretty1125 said:
I'd love to be a part of the newcomer's challenge! I too am so glad that this site was created and DSD, you are awesome! your tips and instructions are just what I need to help me during my Super Growth challenge.

PatTodd

Count me in! I have 3cFi hair which I have pretty much been ignoring. I work out a lot and have had great trouble finding a style which works with my fitness routine. For the last year or so I have just been pulling it back into a bun and chopping it into a short bob every summer. I recently decided I would like to have some length again. Currently my hair is a little longer than mid-neck length, but with some breakage at my hairline and where I secure the elastic for my bun.

I have been on the site only about a week and have learned so much. As I type this I have my hair ends oiled and wrapped up in a baggie under my first phony bun! :D I took my alfalfa pills this morning!! :grin: I'm looking forward to collarbone length by the end of the year!!

Pat

Return2Naptural

Okay, so I have been a member for like almost 24 hours and I am hooked. This is my second time naptural. I backslid in April of 2004 because I said so much hair and I couldn't style it. I wanted locs, but was afraid of the commitment. Hind sight is 20/20, I wish I new about the twist/braid outs, the dominican blowout etc.

So, how do I find out about the texture of my hair. Do you recommend consulting a professional first, to find out if my hair is damaged and what it needs. Are there any stylist in Atlanta that specialize in determining the texture of our hair.

I am anxious to know.

Thanks

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Return2Naptural said:
Okay, so I have been a member for like almost 24 hours and I am hooked. This is my second time naptural. I backslid in April of 2004 because I said so much hair and I couldn't style it. I wanted locs, but was afraid of the commitment. Hind sight is 20/20, I wish I new about the twist/braid outs, the dominican blowout etc.

So, how do I find out about the texture of my hair. Do you recommend consulting a professional first, to find out if my hair is damaged and what it needs. Are there any stylist in Atlanta that specialize in determining the texture of our hair.

I am anxious to know.

Thanks
Welcome!! :wave: Have you looked at the hair typing chart. We have one right here on the forum it's at the entrance. This should help you determine what your hair type is.

sky_blu

PatTodd said:
Count me in! I have 3cFi hair which I have pretty much been ignoring. I work out a lot and have had great trouble finding a style which works with my fitness routine. For the last year or so I have just been pulling it back into a bun and chopping it into a short bob every summer. I recently decided I would like to have some length again. Currently my hair is a little longer than mid-neck length, but with some breakage at my hairline and where I secure the elastic for my bun.

I have been on the site only about a week and have learned so much. As I type this I have my hair ends oiled and wrapped up in a baggie under my first phony bun! :D I took my alfalfa pills this morning!! :grin: I'm looking forward to collarbone length by the end of the year!!

Pat

So does anyone have an answer to her question because Im also a :newbie: and have the same problem. Every year I get forced into the haircut and I want some length as well

Lucia

sky_blu said:
So does anyone have an answer to her question because Im also a :newbie: and have the same problem. Every year I get forced into the haircut and I want some length as well

Welcome newbies,
There are alot of people doing the baggie challenge I did it and it's just moisterizing your hair and using a plastic cap to keep the moisture in. Or you can moisterize, put up hair in a ponytail then cover your ponytail with a sandwich baggie, then secure a phonytail over it-the ones at the beauty supply.
add: You can also wear the baggie at night/evenings at home or to bed just get a plastic haircap like the ones for deep conditoning treatments, put in your moisterizer, oils whatever you use and cover all your hair, I do this mostly instead of the phonypony.
This has helped many pelple retain length and defeat dryness.
you can do a search on baggie method too.
hth
Oh hair milestone/length chart. BTW APL=Arm pit length is in between shoulder length and Bra strap length=BSL
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f7/kbragg1/PG13hairchart.jpg

thanks Kbragg for the PG chart. :lol:

Last edited:

BMoreFlyy

Lucia said:
Welcome newbies,
There are alot of people doing the baggie challenge I did it and it's just moisterizing your hair and using a plastic cap to keep the moisture in. Or you can moisterize, put up hair in a ponytail then cover your ponytail with a sandwich baggie, then secure a phonytail over it-the ones at the beauty supply.
This has helped many pelple retain length and defeat dryness.
you can do a search on baggie method too.
hth

My problem with the baggie method is that I don't like the phony ponies. I feel funny wearing any type of weave. But I think I will try this for the month of july. With my phony bun. Just to see.

sapphire74

Hello Everyone, I just became a subscribing member and I am so excited to be apart of this group. I have braids in now that I will be taking out this weekend. I would like to start my my healthy hair process. Can someone give me some advice as to where to start? My hair length before my braids was to the top of my shoulders. It's been about a month and three weeks since I have had a perm. Should I get start out with a perm before I start my healthy hair process or try to continure stretching it out longer. I also have problem with dandruff and dry scalp can some or anyone e-mail or PM me advice as to what I should do and/or what products I should use? Thanks!

Lucia

MsCrystal said:
My problem with the baggie method is that I don't like the phony ponies. I feel funny wearing any type of weave. But I think I will try this for the month of july. With my phony bun. Just to see.
You could just wear a plastic cap at home at night, like the ones that cover your entire hair. I use this baggie myself still works and the front gets moisture too. hth

Bees

I, too am a new member of this forum. I am having a ball trying to absorb all this information. Question about the baggie method...I usually wrap my hair at nite and roll the ends up with Mango Butter in the morning before taking a shower. I have been doing this for the last few months in an effort to keep the flat irons out of my hair. Could I also wrap my hair at nite and sleep with a plastic cap on?