A Private School In Louisiana Sends A Black Girl Home For Having Extensions

luckiestdestiny

I'm confused...braid extensions aren't like lacefronts or buttlength weaves. Braid extensions are less about vanity and more about extending the life of a style (with length/added thickness being a bonus).

I hate weave and always have but wouldn't hesitate to add hair for a braided style because dd has fine hair that slips out of every single braid or twist within 24 hours.
Even wigs aren't about vanity when you have health issues. It's about a sense of normalcy and for the patient, to not look "sick" for mental health reasons so that they can fight things easier. When you look sick, you feel sick, and your morale goes down (see articles such as restoring hair raises spirits ,etc https://rapidcityjournal.com/news/s...cle_990b44be-2619-50f4-a510-0c958f8256eb.html ) . This is the reason that insurance companies now approve things like breast implants when you have breasts removed for cancer, or wigs, when your hair falls out from too much prednisone (for whatever illness), or you need some type of extension added as your hair thinned out from xyz. As long as it can be documented and approved by the doctor for a reasonable chronic illness, it can be approved. Who knows what some poor kid may go through just to get these things approved in the first place and now they have to be subjected to even more scrutiny by teachers judging their level of vanity. So I'd say they don't have a right to judge any type of hair additions if they look like regular hair. If they look like space ships, or green goblins, or whatever else people do to add accessories to their hair...then that's another story and should not be allowed. But just basic wigs,weaves? How dare they try to scrutinize these children and judge who is worthy and who isn't while I'm sure some WG skips off with added clip in extensions to her next class and no one is the wiser.

Teenagers with clipins that I'm sure won't be inspected:

Little girls with wigs that will go uninspected while we're meanwhile sent home saying that we are about vanity and what not

This is from wigs for kids to put things into perspective for various health reasons when their hair comes out. They also do extensions and partial wigs too because sometimes only one section comes out, or a section is now stronger and growing back, but hasn't caught up with the rest and for whatever reason they didn't want to buzz it all off again for the millionth time (sometimes their hair falls out and grows back in and so on depending on the condition so it's not just about buzzing it every time. Sometimes they want a different look other than a bald head).

Last edited:

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
^^^^ @luckiestdestiny lol. I had to dance once in a show. Due to health stuff my own hair was not doing well so I decided to wear a wig for the first time. I only convinced myself because I had just worn one for Halloween and everyone just thought it was my hair.

Anyhoo, when we were getting ready for the show, I was feeling subconscious about the wig while I was watching this Asian girl get ready. Suddenly she whips out some clip ins which I had never seen before in life and clips them in her hair like a pro, explaining she wanted her hair to be fuller! I was so surprised lol.

All this to say that it is racist as &&@# in the 21st century to assume only Blacks have added hair.

Last edited:

Kanky

It is tricky because I agree with @Kanky and @dicapr at the same time. I completely agree that girls should NOT be made to feel as though their hair NEEDS fake hair to be acceptable. I too find it sad when I see in certain spaces all the girls wearing fake shiny overly straight hair especially when more realistic hair is available. I absolutely hate the term 'good hair' when referring to hair other than type 4.

I’ve been natural for over 20 years. I’m not sure what spaces you are talking about, but the idea that black girls “need” fake hair or that there is something wrong with type 4 natural hair isn’t very prevalent any more. I see more natural kinky hair than weave and relaxers in almost every space. I went from having strangers either come over to compliment me on my hair or ask me why I don’t have a relaxer to being the norm for black women. From having to make my own products and order from niche shops online to being able to meet all of my natural care needs in any major store.

In 2018 a “no extensions” policy isn’t needed to build self esteem, or to teach girls to embrace their natural hair. We’ve fought and won that battle. At this point the no extensions policy is just inconveniencing busy mothers (who would slap a relaxer on if they hadn’t already embraced natural hair) and keeping little girls from being able to swim without having to scheduling hours of haircare afterwards. The policy is unnecessary hair policing by control freaks and weirdos who are projecting their issues with black hair on to other people.

Last edited:

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
@Kanky You are right that natural hair is definitely more prevalent and that there are more examples of gorgeous type 4 hair than ever before everywhere in real life and in media. Also, less talk of good vs bad hair. Forums like this one have done societal wonders over the years.

But, being on this board has made me forget that there really are still sects that cling to the fake shiny glued on my nappy hair is bad mentality. I sadly have seen it in real life in beauty stores for example. I do have hope though that eventually knowledge will reach everyone.

Everything Zen

^^^^ I think it’s an issue/mentality that you have to continuously protect and fight for lest all the gains that have been won will eventually be lost. Due diligence is needed- but this school’s policy is not the answer. Let’s continue to target these Asian beauty supply shops and focus on other ways to move forward.

luckiestdestiny

Thank goodness to common sense. Good job judge! It is obvious that this is a way to police black children, specifically girls. I'm pretty certain that wgs are walking around flipping their extensions and none the wiser:

The school says 11-year-old Faith Kennedyand another girl were removed from class and accused of violating a rule that prohibits “extensions, wigs and hairpieces of any kind.” The lawsuit against the school accuses the institution of discrimination, claiming the policy has a “disparate impact” on black female students.

The lawsuit also says that only black girls have been inspected and punished for wearing extensions. The families believe the school’s policy could result in-read more at TheShadeRoom.com.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
New Orleans Archdiocese says school's hair extension policy that sent girl home crying has been rescinded
by Associated Press / Aug.27.2018 / 9:24 PM ET
NEW ORLEANS — A Catholic school official said Monday that a suburban New Orleans school has rescinded its policy forbidding hair extensions.
But it remains unclear whether a sixth-grader who left school in tears last week after running afoul of the rule will return to Christ the King school.
Video of Faith Fennidy dejectedly walking out of school last week drew accusations that the rule targeted black students. A state judge blocked enforcement of the rule after the families of Faith and another girl, Tyrielle Davis, filed suit.

A lawyer for the Fennidy family, James Williams, and officials with the archdiocese said last week they would meet on Monday. But a statement from RaeNell Houston, the superintendent Archdiocese of New Orleans schools, says the family postponed, then canceled the meeting. Emails to the Williams' law firm were not immediately returned Monday night.
Houston's statement said Fennidy's family, and the family of Tyrielle Davis, another student who joined in a lawsuit over the policy, were told last week that Christ the King's hair extension policy had been rescinded.

"When this issue arose, the school immediately reviewed its policy and recognized that there may have been sensitivities that needed to be addressed," Houston's statement said. "They then reached out for input from the Office of Catholic Schools, the Office of Black Catholic Ministries, other principals, and parents."
Houston said she will work with school officials to "create a uniform policy that is sensitive to all races, religions, and cultures."
The video that sparked the controversy went virile after Faith's brother posted it on Facebook. He included an explanation that there were practical reasons for Faith's use of extensions.

HappilyLiberal

"When this issue arose, the school immediately reviewed its policy and recognized that there may have been sensitivities that needed to be addressed," Houston's statement said. "They then reached out for input from the Office of Catholic Schools, the Office of Black Catholic Ministries, other principals, and parents."
Houston said she will work with school officials to "create a uniform policy that is sensitive to all races, religions, and cultures."

Why didn't they stop to think maybe we messed up as they were sending that child home in tears???

ETA: And they clearly didn't "immediately" review the policy; otherwise the child would not have been sent home in tears!

Last edited: