a question about washing with baking soda...

twists

Okay so I'm thinking about putting braid extensions in my hair as a protective style for the next few months...

I think I'm going to put them in this weekend or sometime next week and before I do that I want to do some kind of clarifying wash to rid my scalp of any residue product or anything because I want my scalp to be extra clean before I put these braids in :grin:

Would the baking soda rinse be good for this? I seen some stuff about it but I'm not clear on if it's for clarifying and getting rid of product buildup or just to make hair soft which I've seen people claim. Or does it do both? :perplexed

And if the baking soda is meant to clarify do I put it in my shampoo or just make a paste with baking soda and water? can I deep condition afterward or would that just add more product to my hair? Or do I do the baking soda wash last?

Sorry about all the questions but I need to know lol. Thank you! :D

Platinum

Okay so I'm thinking about putting braid extensions in my hair as a protective style for the next few months...

I think I'm going to put them in this weekend or sometime next week and before I do that I want to do some kind of clarifying wash to rid my scalp of any residue product or anything because I want my scalp to be extra clean before I put these braids in :grin:

Would the baking soda rinse be good for this? I seen some stuff about it but I'm not clear on if it's for clarifying and getting rid of product buildup or just to make hair soft which I've seen people claim. Or does it do both? :perplexed

And if the baking soda is meant to clarify do I put it in my shampoo or just make a paste with baking soda and water? can I deep condition afterward or would that just add more product to my hair? Or do I do the baking soda wash last?

Sorry about all the questions but I need to know lol. Thank you! :D

I use a baking soda and water solution to clarify sometimes. I wouldn't recommend making a paste because if not completely rinsed out, it can leave residue on your scalp and cause irritation. Also, baking soda can be very drying to the hair and scalp when used in abundance. I only add about 1 Tbls of baking soda to about 16 oz of water. If I have alot of product buildup, I'll pour this solution on my hair and let sit for a few minutes, then rinse out. I normally follow up with a co-wash and DC. Hope this helps.

twists

Thank you Platinum! Would I be able to just follow up with a deep conditioner? what does co washing after the baking soda rinse do?

Aniyasmommy

I know you said baking soda but I just wanted to share what I used on my dd's hair to clarify. I used VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying and it really got the job done. Her hair was squeaky clean.I didnt think v05 would do such a good job. Natural products is better though so please tell us how the baking soda worked for you.

Platinum

Thank you Platinum! Would I be able to just follow up with a deep conditioner? what does co washing after the baking soda rinse do?

Yes, you can just follow up with a DC.:yep: I usually co wash with a moisturizing conditioner like Suave Humectant, then DC. I also forgot to mention that I'm in braids and I clarify with the baking soda solution every 2-4 weeks. I use curl moisturizer sprays instead of braid spray.

twists

I know you said baking soda but I just wanted to share what I used on my dd's hair to clarify. I used VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying and it really got the job done. Her hair was squeaky clean.I didnt think v05 would do such a good job. Natural products is better though so please tell us how the baking soda worked for you.
Yes I will...I think I am going to try this soon now that I am in twists and plan on keeping these in for a couple of months :D

Yes, you can just follow up with a DC.:yep: I usually co wash with a moisturizing conditioner like Suave Humectant, then DC. I also forgot to mention that I'm in braids and I clarify with the baking soda solution every 2-4 weeks. I use curl moisturizer sprays instead of braid spray.

Thanks Platinum!. The cowashing sounds like a cool idea..I don't mind some extra moisture :yep: