A question from a hairstylist!

stylistlaurie

Hello Ladies,

Im a hairstylist looking to better serve my clients. My question is, what are the main issues, as a black woman, you have a problem communicating with a hair stylist?

and what can I do as the professional to help my clients communicate those issues in order to get the best needs assesment possible?

For example if your problem is communicating the exact hair color option. A way for me to assist my clients with thier communication is by offering pictures from magazines and color brand swatches.

I am not having a problem communicating with my clients per se, but I do recognize where customer service can be improved. I appreciate your comments!

Laurie

faithVA

One of the issues I usually had with hair stylists is that they don't like to educate you. They will answer a question just enough to give you an answer but not to increase your understanding. But I think at a minimum explaining to a person how to care for their hair and how to maintain their styles.

Only when I went to a natural salon did I find someone that would talk to me about my hair and why she did certain things.

That's just been my experience.

Uniqzoe

I think and initial consultation with a new client is key. I have only had that happen once when going to a new stylist. If you do this up front and talk to your client about their hair before you begin to work and style this could create and environment in which the client feels more comfortable communicating to you.

p.s I think its great that you are seeking out ways to be a better stylist!

likewtr4chklit

I co-sign with the idea that an initial consultation is key, because it's important to know your clients hair history and their goals. You should also explain all chemical procedures in detail, and know that when they say they need a trim they really do mean a trim (not a cut LOL). I think it's also important to be honest about what you can handle as a stylist.

prettybyrd

I used to have a lot of trouble communicating with my stylist about trims and cutting. It would have been helpful back then if my stylist would have told me, using my hair as a guide, where she would cut when dusting, trimming or cutting.

StarScream35

My issue is trying to get black stylists to understand I'm on a healthy hair care journey not a cut-n-style journey. I have only had ONE black stylist who understood this and unfortunately he moved away. Under his care my hair thrived and he didn't cut hair unnecessarily. I reached waist length SEVERAL times under his care but with these other stylists it's all about just cutting and laying some hair. HELLO! I don't want the latest new look, I don't want layers, how many times did I have to say that and why they couldn’t understand that is beyond my comprehension!! Unfortunately I no longer go to African American stylists. I had enough. If I want my hair professionally done I seek out white stylists who can do black hair or Dominicans. I feel AA stylists are highly abusive to black women....ie..........not listening to us about our hair, leaving us unattended while they talk on the phone, not being on time, having too many appts come in near and around the same time. I just couldn't take it anymore and I feel so free now that I no longer go to AA stylists. No more wasted Saturdays or wasted afternoons, no more crying over too much cut hair etc. It was such a releasing experience and LHCF made it possible. Wish I would have discovered this site years ago.

Maybe you will be different and break the cycle. Just remember we all don’t wanna look like Rihanna or Beyonce. Many of us just want healthy hair that we can grow long. Good luck to you!

kaytorry

I used to have a lot of trouble communicating with my stylist about trims and cutting. It would have been helpful back then if my stylist would have told me, using my hair as a guide, where she would cut when dusting, trimming or cutting.

^^^ THIS! It would also be nice to see how much is being cut WHILE it's being cut, I really hate when the hair that is cut is swiftly sweeped away, as it's being cut. As if they are trying to conceal the amount that has been cut. It would be great if the cut one piece and show you how much they cut first, before going in to cut the rest. I also think that deep conditioning should be required for ANY service whether a relaxer or wash and style. You shouldn't have to ask for it.

feelfree

It is hard to communicate with a stylist when I know more about growing and maintaining healthy hair than they know.

For example, I have been warned about going too long without getting a touch-up for years, but I stretch for months upon months, and am 7 months deep into a year stretch at the moment. I never experience the breakage that stylists warn me about, yet they want me in their chair every 6-8 weeks anyway.

No stylist has ever led me to the healthy hair practices that have allowed me to retain as much length and keep my hair healthy, as it is now. LHCF has given me more knowledge than all the stylists that I've ever been to, combined.

Stylists are great with styles, but horrible as far as being informed on healthy hair practices...in my experience.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
The best possible customer service for me is not to fall prone to overbooking. I have yet to find a black stylist (outside of the ones that work in white salons) that book clients properly. Nothing worse than having a 1:00 PM appointment when we both know you won't start services until nearly 5:00 PM...or later.

Regarding services, be honest about what it takes to reach the style in a picture. If it requires extra shaping because I have a square face and the model is oval faced - the end results will not be the same. Point that out.

Please learn the difference between DUSTINGS, trims and cuts. A dusting is a light (less than 1/4") clipping of very ends. A trim is just that and a cut is anything that requires shaping and or more technical work to achieve a certain style. Very important point.

After an initial consultation, occasionally schedule time to review your client's progress and update their goals as these do change over time. Please again be honest - if I am thinning in areas of my head, I want to know that. If my edges are thinning - lets talk about that. Consider REAL services versus just adding costly services that won't produce results.

I realize that communicating goes both ways BUT I come to you as the professional, so I hope I am getting my money's worth.

Best of luck with your clients.

TeeMBL

Lurker
Like the other ladies have said, the initial consult is key. That's probably where you'll build trust with your clients by giving them an open opportunity to discuss their needs, before actually performing a service. I think most women do not feel like their stylist actually listens to them, as if they know better bc they went to school. I'm sorry but a stylist is not with me everyday to monitor my hair, so I know when it's dry, mushy, needs protein, breaking, etc.

Even with ladies who do not know about hair, they can tell you about symptoms. It's like going to a mechanic, I can tell you the symptoms of my car, and as a professional let me know what the possible causes may be. Don't just start ripping out the electrical and telling me I need new brakes when I told you my car overheated. In essence, let me the customer guide you a little.

I stopped going to my stylist because I felt like my hair was being abused (ie. combing with a small tooth comb while wet from root to tip, ripping her fingers through my hair while washing, too much heat, etc.).

I think if you incorporate some of the methods used by LHCF ladies, you'll have more business than you can imagine.

kupenda

I'm glad you are willing to improve.

I don't like going to black stylists because they don't listen to me. When I say I don't want my scalp scratched during shampooing, they try to negotiate or tell me my scalp won't be clean without their nails raking my brain.

I want to have my entire head neutralized, including the nape and sides that lay against the bowl. My sisters stylist never made her or my mother aware of the fact that my sisters nape had broken off from nine inches down to two inches in a matter of months. Crazy.

I HATE that my previous stylist would overbook her clients and then complain that she didn't have time to take a break. So she would do our hair and eat at the same time. Fried chicken and relaxers? Ehh.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Lucky's Mom

Welcome!:yep:

I guess I have become embittered to stylists. I think that most do not listen and are not concerned with the needs of the client.

My experience has been that many stylists feel that every head of hair is the same - and has the same needs. Nothing could be further from the truth.

In addition to this fatal error in judgement.....

Secondly, Many stylists do not respect time of their clients.....especially when there is an important or pressing occasion. An hour late for any other appointment would result in lost wages. I have been in this situation... and honestly - since I can do my own.... I have not waited for anyone who is not timely. It is not only disrespectful - it is unprofessional.

Thirdly.... Health and gentleness with our hair is paramount. Not - hairstyles. I have as dear friend who has been wearing weaves for - well far too long. Now she is thinning and balding. a RESPONSIBLE stylist would say "NO MORE"..... and risk losing clients to help that persons hair over all.

Split ends that are constantly clipped and chopped off.... says - something is wrong with the hair CARE - period.

Moisture is our most important asset to our hair.... Ask you clients to drink TONS of Water!

Fourth..... continue to educate yourself - to help knock down all the wives tales and myths about out hair out there....

We As African American women come from a long line of proud women who have helped each other to be beautiful. I think if you can consult - help - educate - and gain the trust of women - without being worried about making a Buck.. Then you will be successful!

By the way - I have one braider... she only does cornrows on my hair. Otherwise... no one touches my hair but me.:yep:
:yep: Good luck!

MissDarcei

I HATE that my previous stylist would overbook her clients and then complain that she didn't have time to take a break. So she would do our hair and eat at the same time. Fried chicken and relaxers? Ehh.

What? :nono: That is just nasty.

I once had a stylist cut my MBL hair to APL when I asked for layers. This was not my usual stylist and I learned my lesson only to get a haircut from the one I trusted. My usual stylist holds up the hair and shows me how much she is cutting. My mother also has the same complaint. That when you ask for layers 9 out of 10 stylists see that as a go to chop half your hair off. Why would you cut the bottom layer that much? Only the top layers should be sliced off. Smh.

Lucky's Mom

What? :nono: That is just nasty.

I once had a stylist cut my MBL hair to APL when I asked for layers. This was not my usual stylist and I learned my lesson only to get a haircut from the one I trusted. My usual stylist holds up the hair and shows me how much she is cutting. My mother also has the same complaint. That when you ask for layers 9 out of 10 stylists see that as a go to chop half your hair off. Why would you cut the bottom layer that much? Only the top layers should be sliced off. Smh.

:look: This is why I do my own.. and My mom's hair....

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
I wish a stylist would tell you what the process is going to be as well what the products are that are going to be used in your hair. I hate goine, "what's that?, what's this", what's next?, what does that do?" Just tell me as we go, this way I trust you and don't feel as if you're trying to sneak things past me.

Also, when I ask what something is, "its my personal recipe" is not a sufficient asnwer. I need to know what it is that you're putting in my hair. If its a family recipe then only put it in your family members hair

Giselle685

1. Show up on time
2. Stop taking things personally
3. Be kind to your client
4. Be clean: Dont eat, drop scissors, etc. and immediately go into playing in a client's hair
5. Breaks while doing a client's hair should be used for the bathroom and emergencies...
Not to stop and have lunch, or chat with a friend for a long period of time
6. Don't have extended conversations on the phone while doing a client's hair
7. Shave your armpits and deodorize them each and every day.... :nono:
8. Prioritze a schedule that can work for you and your clients... if you know you are hungry at 11am... don't book clients around that time.
9. Make sure your breath is fresh, you are in close proximity and are expected to communicate with your clients throughout the day
10. Make sure YOUR hair looks decent :blush:
11. Listen to what your client wants, give suggestions, but let the client win -- damn. :look:

* was that hostility?*

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

1. Show up on time
4. Be clean: Dont eat, drop scissors, etc. and immediately go into playing in a client's hair
5. Breaks while doing a client's hair should be used for the bathroom and emergencies...
7. Shave and deodorize your armpits each and every day....
4. Listen to what your client wants, give suggestions, but let the client win -- damn.

* was that hostility?*

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

StarScream35

1. Show up on time
8. Prioritze a schedule that can work for you and your clients... if you know you are hungry at 11am... don't book clients around that time.
9. Make sure your breath is fresh, you are in close proximity and are expected to communicate with your clients throughout the day
11. Listen to what your client wants, give suggestions, but let the client win -- damn. :look:

* was that hostility?*

And this is another reason I do my own. Sick of the " I am the stylist I KNOW what's right for your hair, YOU don't and I'm gonna win at all costs" and if they lose they wanna catch attitudes. No way!! Personally with Domincans running the show and LHCF around, I'm surprised black salons haven't been put out of business period! :blush:

Lucky's Mom

And this is another reason I do my own. Sick of the " I am the stylist I KNOW what's right for your hair, YOU don't and I'm gonna win at all costs" and if they lose they wanna catch attitudes. No way!! Personally with Domincans running the show and LHCF around, I'm surprised black salons haven't been put out of business period! :blush:

YIKES!:perplexed

ylinspired

The issue I have with black stylist is they want to do what they want to do. Most don't listen, and they cut too much. Some can't even get natural hair straight. Then when you try to tell them your wants and needs it always turn into this uncomfortable argument. I only go to the Dominican shops:Yep. I"m new to the forum, yet I've learned more on here in just a month than years of going to black stylist SMH.

ImanAdero

Actually... I've never had such poor experiences at black salons... I'm just cheap which is why I no longer go. I also couldn't stand the Dominican salons because of all the heat and they always said, "Perm mami?" NO BIXCH! And white salons (although I've gotten my hair done there) they usually don't know how to handle my hair...

My advice would be this:
Get to know your clientele. Maybe women on this board don't like it, but many women do go to the hair salon for the "experience". Meaning the conversation, the gossip, the person who will listen to their problems. So remember to do that.

But also remember those who come to your salon and DO need to be in and out. Be courteous of all of their time.

No matter if they come for the conversation and style, or just the style.

My only issue when growing up was NOT being talked to because I wad a child. Be courteous to ALL your clientele, which I think goes along with letting your client "win" and actually listening to them when they ask you for a specific purpose.

Also BE the expert you're paid to be. Most women who get their hair done in salons are not like the women on this board, so do give them tips on how to maintain not just the style, but also the health of their hair until the next visit.

Missigirl

OP I commend you for asking your quesion here. Make sure you listen to your customers wishes and do what they ask you to do. If the customer ask you to do something you cannot tell them why before you start.

1. Show up on time

* was that hostility?*

Giselle685 Number 7 and 9 made me laugh out loud. :lachen: Musty stinky breath person in my personal space making a mess of my hair and charging me too.

imaccami

Do your best to get the client out of your shop in a decent amount of time. If someone comes in for a wash, blow-dry, and flat iron they should leave the shop before the morning is over. The number one reason I stopped going to the salon and learned to do my hair myself was because I was tired of going in at 8 in the morning and not leaving until 3 in the afternoon.

Clients can tell when you're being careless, they may not say anything, but when you're not being careful applying the relaxer so a lot gets on their scalp, or when you don't rinse it out well, or you give them a shampoo and get water down their back they can tell when it's due to laziness and when it's an innocent mistake. They may not say anything and may even come in for another appointment, but most will eventually stop coming. My stylist used to get water down my back every single time she washed it; because i was a teenager I didn't say anything, but I would still be going to her every week if she hadn't done things like that.

Do what the client wants. You may think they'll be really happy once they see the end result, but if they tell you no, don't do it.

Don't promise to trim and end up cutting several inches.

Learn how to cut long hair into cute styles. I've never been to a black stylist who could cut my hair into anything but a blunt cut. Learn how to cut long hair into the cute styles that are popular.

One thing that really irritated me was when people who were getting the exact service as I was came in after me and left before I did because they were good friends with the stylist. If they're truly your good friends, do their hair at your house, otherwise treat everyone who comes in the shop the exact same way.

Some people don't want to talk in the chair, so don't force them to. Just leave them alone and don't make them make small talk.

Don't complain about how much your feet or back hurt from standing all day.

Make sure your hair looks good everyday.

StarScream35

Do your best to get the client out of your shop in a decent amount of time. If someone comes in for a wash, blow-dry, and flat iron they should leave the shop before the morning is over. The number one reason I stopped going to the salon and learned to do my hair myself was because I was tired of going in at 8 in the morning and not leaving until 3 in the afternoon.

Clients can tell when you're being careless, they may not say anything, but when you're not being careful applying the relaxer so a lot gets on their scalp, or when you don't rinse it out well, or you give them a shampoo and get water down their back they can tell when it's due to laziness and when it's an innocent mistake. They may not say anything and may even come in for another appointment, but most will eventually stop coming. My stylist used to get water down my back every single time she washed it; because i was a teenager I didn't say anything, but I would still be going to her every week if she hadn't done things like that.

Do what the client wants. You may think they'll be really happy once they see the end result, but if they tell you no, don't do it.

Don't promise to trim and end up cutting several inches.

Learn how to cut long hair into cute styles. I've never been to a black stylist who could cut my hair into anything but a blunt cut. Learn how to cut long hair into the cute styles that are popular.

One thing that really irritated me was when people who were getting the exact service as I was came in after me and left before I did because they were good friends with the stylist. If they're truly your good friends, do their hair at your house, otherwise treat everyone who comes in the shop the exact same way.

Some people don't want to talk in the chair, so don't force them to. Just leave them alone and don't make them make small talk.

Don't complain about how much your feet or back hurt from standing all day.

Make sure your hair looks good everyday.

Amen to the bolded!!! The sad part is, many black stylists think that ish is okay!!! All the ones I had ever been to did this and made no apologies or nothing.

Another thing black stylists would do is flat iron someone who came in AFTER me because their hair was shorter. I mean really!!! Do we need a years worth of lesssons in customer service for black stylists??? My gut tells me YES cause there are some serious issues in this area!

Ms. Syl

I appreciate a hair stylist asking this question, although I suspect that you are not the one who needs to hear these answers.
I stopped going to a stylist because she insisted on combing my thick, coarse hair with a rattail comb to detangle. There were many things that she did that I knew were bad for my hair but I kept going to her because I had a very hard time finding someone who could do silver hair and make it look healthy. She finally committed the deed that 'broke the camel's back' and I left.
With all of that said, I could feel her bad, nasty moods and that was frequent. This bothered me more than anything else. She was generally a mean , opinionated woman and her clients paid for it. i feel that when you are in the service industry, your client is extremely important and your 'personality' has to take low in order to serve your client.

MissRissa

I would like to reitterate what my peers have already stated:

Overbooking- this is my number one pet peeve. due to desperation, i've waiting an hour past my appointment time to be seen. Foreal, that's disrespectful. the eating and constant break taking in the midst of my appointment pisses me off. Yes, everybody needs a break. I believe it's against the law to go more than 4 hours without taking a break, but that break time, lunch time, snack time, etc needs to be scheduled into the day. and taking a 5-10 minute break is fine with me but 20-30 min, no ma'am.

Hair care knowledge- Actually, i lied. This is my biggest pet peeve. I do not have a cosmetology license so I can't attest to why so many stylists have no idea as to how to maintain healthy hair or treat damaged hair. maybe that is why they are called stylists because that's what they know- styling. years ago, this happened with more than 1 beautician, i have asked about a deep conditioning treatment (yup, i was willing to pay) and I was told that I didn't need one. If you are applying dry heat to my hair using any medium, my hair needs to be deep conditioned prior. Hell, I deep condition my hair just to keep it from being hellified dry even when i'm just gonna air dry.

Gotdang over trimming- Just recently I went to a stylists who touts all of these continuing education classes, which i loved. Everything was going great, she deep conditioned me, used heat preotectant, gentle on the hair. I asked for a trim. I knew I needed a trim, roughly about an inch. I self trim when I straighten, I dc every week, cowash 2-4 times a week, get very little breakage. my only hair issues are single strand knots and itchy scalp. My hair is in pretty freaking decent condition. She asks me how much i wanted trimmed off the bottom, I said about an inch. She tells me that an inch and a half would be better. I said go for it. This chick proceeds to cut more than 4 inches off my bottom layer of hair. Then to try and drum up business, she tells me to come back in 6 weeks so she can "finish cutting off the leftover dead hair". what? when i walked in the door, i was scraping waist length, when I left out I was about an inch from midback (she cut off almost 5 inches). this goes back to an old thread. i don't think many stylists actually know what an inch is.

Oh and getting too comfortable/lazy with someone whose hair you've been doing for year and not putting in the same amount of work. twice i was going to a stylist for 2+ years and it seemed as though the longer I was a client the worse my hair looked when I left. I felt new people left with the most bangin hair and mine would be "meh".

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
The best possible customer service for me is not to fall prone to overbooking. I have yet to find a black stylist (outside of the ones that work in white salons) that book clients properly. Nothing worse than having a 1:00 PM appointment when we both know you won't start services until nearly 5:00 PM...or later.

Regarding services, be honest about what it takes to reach the style in a picture. If it requires extra shaping because I have a square face and the model is oval faced - the end results will not be the same. Point that out.

Please learn the difference between DUSTINGS, trims and cuts. A dusting is a light (less than 1/4") clipping of very ends. A trim is just that and a cut is anything that requires shaping and or more technical work to achieve a certain style. Very important point.

After an initial consultation, occasionally schedule time to review your client's progress and update their goals as these do change over time. Please again be honest - if I am thinning in areas of my head, I want to know that. If my edges are thinning - lets talk about that. Consider REAL services versus just adding costly services that won't produce results.

I realize that communicating goes both ways BUT I come to you as the professional, so I hope I am getting my money's worth.

Best of luck with your clients.

^^^^^^this! Cosign....;)

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

ericajoy

Hair care knowledge- Actually, i lied. This is my biggest pet peeve. I do not have a cosmetology license so I can't attest to why so many stylists have no idea as to how to maintain healthy hair or treat damaged hair. maybe that is why they are called stylists because that's what they know- styling. years ago, this happened with more than 1 beautician, i have asked about a deep conditioning treatment (yup, i was willing to pay) and I was told that I didn't need one. If you are applying dry heat to my hair using any medium, my hair needs to be deep conditioned prior. Hell, I deep condition my hair just to keep it from being hellified dry even when i'm just gonna air dry.

^^THIS! stylistlaurie, thank you for asking your original question. I was having a hard time answering it b/c most of my communication problems with stylists have been about such BASIC hair care things that I feel like I'm insulting my stylist when I bring them up. Some of my salon visits can literally be summed up like this: "can we use a bigger comb (than a rattail comb) to untangle my hair?" "oh, you're going to blowdry my DRY HAIR in order to straighten it? Can we wet it and condition it first?" "that blowdryer is literally burning my scalp it's so hot" "can you show me how much you're going to cut off?" "can we use a base with that relaxer?"

...and on and on, until I feel like this incredibly fussy customer and both the stylist and I are completely, if politely, frustrated with each other -- even though I'm just asking for BASIC good haircare practices! I hate being put in that position, so I've pretty much stopped going to the salon. Hairstylists definitely need to be up on healthy hair maintenance practices AND need to be attuned to the sound of breaking hair -- if you can hear it breaking, STOP!

I think, like some other ladies mentioned, an initial consultation can go a long way toward mutually establishing how someone would like their hair handled and styled. Also, if a client has feedback about what you're doing to their hair, please listen and correct course, and don't take it personally!

And finally, as someone else said, since you're asking you're probably not the one who really needs to hear the answer! :lol: But I hope this helps and maybe you can also share these responses with any less-enlightened stylists you know.

silenttullip

I agree with each post I thanked and some others, I'd also like to add offering a tour with consultation would help. Some people are shy, nervous about a new stylist, or don't have great vision so telling them to "go over there" without pointing is kinda rude. Be kind and say please go to the shampoo station or just say right this way please and escort them.
Also answer the phone with hello this is "your name" thanks for calling "salon name" how may i help you? Not just a stank hello. Don't be fake some stylist have a "professional" voice with clients and I hear them on the phone all cursing and hood with family or friends. I'm not saying curse me out too but be real and consistent.
Don't leave me to do your work for example handing me the blow dryer or shampoo attachment while you step away what am I paying for?
good luck glad you care enough to ask

nakialovesshoes

The best stylist I've ever had did not overbook. I never had to wait on him to talk on the phone to anyone and we were good friends so he could've easily threw professionalism out of the door when doing my hair.

I was relaxed. He always explained everything to me down to restoring ph to my hair. He always told me what he was using & why - no bottles without labels or bottles turned around in his salon. When relaxing, he was very careful to relax only my new growth & if relaxer happened to fall on my already relaxed hair, he would stop & take a towel & make sure it was removed - even if it was just a small drop.

The only thing we would disagree about was a trim. And it wasn't a bad thing now that I know more about hair. I always thought that a trim would prevent split ends & also help my hair grow. Well I was PSing 100% of the time for the most part so I didn't have any splits and most of the time didn't need a trim. He knew that trimming my hair wouldn't help it grow so he would give me grief about getting unnecessary trims. How many stylists don't want to trim/cut?

And when he did trim, I was facing a mirror & like someone mentioned, he would trim the 1st piece & show it to me so I would know exactly how much he was trimming - usually I couldn't get him to trim more than 1/4 inch. And because we were friends, I usually ended up sweeping my own hair just to help him out so I didn't have anything like that going on.

I think COMMUNICATION is essential. Also, PROFESSIONALISM! The double booking is a no-no & a sign to me that you really don't care how long your customers have to wait. IMO, that screams an attitude of "they need me." Another good stylist I had wouldn't even answer the phone when she was doing hair. She would simply look at it to make sure it wasn't concerning her child & then she would go back to what she was doing. These are the small things.

I wish you the best as a stylist. Just the fact that you're on here makes you a better stylist IMO. My last stylist used to lurk on here, too.