A shout out to all the lovely ladies getting braids: Holla back!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Dear all:

My colleague has been wearing braids on and off for about 3 years now and her hair is off the chain!

I got the name of her braider and made an appointment for next week. Yes, that's right. I'm getting braids. After explaining to her that my hair is fine and delicate and cannot be pulled tightly, she said that her braider is very gentle with her fine hair. She has recommended at least 10 ladies...all who rave about this braider's work.

So, I have several goals for these braids:

1. Low maintenance: I'm stepping up my running, training for a marathon and other races. I don't want to have to worry about hair.

2. Protective styles: I want to hide my hair for the rest of the year, protecting it. I will still essentially wear the braids in protective styles, buns and up-dos. I am using the highest quality human hair called Quatre(sp?) wet and wavy It's expensive, but for my hair, it's worth it. The hair will allow me to be flexible with styles.

3. Growth and retention: my fine hair is at its most critical stage. I want to be able to obtain the greatest growth while retaining what I already achieved. I'm on the APL challenge through December. By Christmas, I want to be able to go home to Atlanta and show off my new hair!!

4. Stop obsessing over hair and curb PJism: I will continue to be on the AVEDA challenge. I've also been reading a lot of background on the Crown and Glory method. I will use a good deep conditioner and braid spray and keep the braids moisturized. But by focusing on taking care of my hair rather than obsessing over length and styles, I can just allow my hair to do its thang.

So, ladies, I'd like to hear from those of you who are embarking on their braid journey:

1. When are you getting your braids done?
2. How will you maintain them (braid products, conditioning, etc.)?
3. What are you hoping to achieve by wearing braids?
4. What kind of hair are you using? What style? How long?
5. How long will you wear your braids?
6. Have you ever worn braids before? If so, how was your experience? Did you achieve your goals?

I'll begin:

1. When are you getting your braids done? August 4 (next week)

2. How will you maintain them (braid products, conditioning, etc.)? I will follow the C&G method by getting the African Royale braid spray, a good deep conditioner and doing CW every other day.

3. What are you hoping to achieve by wearing braids? See above

4. What kind of hair are you using? What style? How long? Human hair, all one length, about BSL (my goal length ;))

5. How long will you wear your braids? For 2 months at a time until 12/07

6. Have you ever worn braids before? If so, how was your experience? Did you achieve your goals? I wore braids years ago when I first started graduate school. I experienced a lot of growth with them but I learned that you must take care of them for the greatest benefit. My hair was not damaged and did not thin at all. I just got tired of wearing the braids and wanted a change.

Now, let's hear from you... ;)

seymone

1. When are you getting your braids done? I will be getting braids on the 16th of August

2. How will you maintain them (braid products, conditioning, etc.)? Wash every week. Also use my homemade MTG every other day, and a moisture spritz.

3. What are you hoping to achieve by wearing braids? I am hoping to reach BSL length by JAN 08. I just want to give my hair a break for a while.

4. What kind of hair are you using? What style? How long? I am going to do kinky twist. I will leave them in for 2 months at a time with a 2 week break in between.

5. How long will you wear your braids? I will wear braids until Jan 08

6. Have you ever worn braids before? If so, how was your experience? Did you achieve your goals?
I have worn braid on and off all my life. I had good growth. I get bored with them some time.

Healthb4Length

This is why I LOVE braids so much! It cuts down on my PJism majorly. I haven't brought any new products in months and my wallet thanks me!

missnurselady

1. When are you getting your braids done? August 16(somewhere around there)
2. How will you maintain them (braid products, conditioning, etc.)? I will be using my infusium and braid spray mix twice a day
3. What are you hoping to achieve by wearing braids? I hope to get to APL by Christmas!
4. What kind of hair are you using? What style? How long? Since im getting kinky twist synthetic hair, but I may have to treat it since the last time I got them they itched like crazy
5. How long will you wear your braids? 6-8 weeks until Dec

6. Have you ever worn braids before? If so, how was your experience? Did you achieve your goals? I wear braids on and off and I get great growth from them, keeping it is the problem:ohwell:

Indigo's Hair

I am currently in braids/cornrows. I started my venture about 3 months ago. I will remove my braids/cornrows in about a week to prepare for a touch-up. I will get my next set of braids in mid September.

I maintain my braids by spraying them everyday with a mixture of Infusium 23, glycerin, braid spray/CFCG, and water. I wash according to the C&G method.

I am hoping to achieve a full, thick head of hair. Also, I am hoping to retain more length with this protective style.

I am using Milky Way Premium Human Hair. I like to change styles. But, I have worn individual braids for about 6 weeks.

I will wear my hear in braids/cornrows in 3 months increments for at least one year. I plan on wearing braids/cornrows for 3 months and give my hair a rest for 3-4 weeks and then have my hair re-braided.

This is my first time. I will see the results of my first 3 month set in about 2-3 weeks when I get a touch-up.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

1. When are you getting your braids done? MONDAY Morning!! :grin:
2. How will you maintain them (braid products, conditioning, etc.)? I am just going to keep them conditioned. I like the Yaki Professional Leave in spray. I oil my scalp when I am in braids. Washing them with Diluted CON.
3. What are you hoping to achieve by wearing braids? Protective styling, heat/relaxer break, growth retention and ease of style. I also look forward to being able to work out more.
4. What kind of hair are you using? What style? How long? I am using Milky Way Ripple Deep human hair. Expensive but I like it. I am getting small braids (not micros though). I have master an easy way to remove them so it's okay.
5. How long will you wear your braids? I think I am going to keep them in 6-8 weeks at a time.
6. Have you ever worn braids before? If so, how was your experience? Did you achieve your goals? I have had them before and my hair did well. I stopped because I hate sitting for the long extended times. My braider said that if I come during the week I can get 2 braiders and that will speed it up.

I am excited about my braids. I really need a break.

Healthb4Length

So, ladies, I'd like to hear from those of you who are embarking on their braid journey:

1. When are you getting your braids done? Already done, been in for 4 weeks.
2. How will you maintain them (braid products, conditioning, etc.)? I use African Royale Braid Spray and hairveda coconut oil on my scalp every other day.
3. What are you hoping to achieve by wearing braids? Protective style, plus I don't have to do anything with my hair...carefree styling.
4. What kind of hair are you using? What style? How long? Curly/kinky hair, my style is an afro mohawk. It's a short curly mohawk.
5. How long will you wear your braids? I'm wearing it for 6 weeks
6. Have you ever worn braids before? If so, how was your experience? Did you achieve your goals? For years off and on I wear braids to take a break from my hair or to have an "exotic" look. I've achieve lots of thickness, and retained all my length when I wear braids.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
1. When are you getting your braids done? MONDAY Morning!! :grin:
2. How will you maintain them (braid products, conditioning, etc.)? I am just going to keep them conditioned. I like the Yaki Professional Leave in spray. I oil my scalp when I am in braids. Washing them with Diluted CON.
3. What are you hoping to achieve by wearing braids? Protective styling, heat/relaxer break, growth retention and ease of style. I also look forward to being able to work out more.
4. What kind of hair are you using? What style? How long? I am using Milky Way Ripple Deep human hair. Expensive but I like it. I am getting small braids (not micros though). I have master an easy way to remove them so it's okay.
5. How long will you wear your braids? I think I am going to keep them in 6-8 weeks at a time.
6. Have you ever worn braids before? If so, how was your experience? Did you achieve your goals? I have had them before and my hair did well. I stopped because I hate sitting for the long extended times. My braider said that if I come during the week I can get 2 braiders and that will speed it up.

I am excited about my braids. I really need a break.

I am so happy for you!!! I will have to try that braid spray, but I did do some reason on the C&G method. So, yes I am so excited. :clapping:

Afrolinda

1. When are you getting your braids done? I did it last week:grin:

2. How will you maintain them? (braid products, conditioning ): I wash every day, I use a homemade braid spray every day and I seal it with castor oil, at night I do a scalp massage with Boundless Tresses....

3. What are you hoping to achieve by wearing braids? Protective styling, growth retention and the most important: I'm hoping to reach BSL by the summer of 2008

4. What kind of hair are you using? How long? Style? I am using synthetic hair, remember beyoncé's style in the beginning? yeah this is the style that I have right now.

5. How long will you wear your braids? I will wear them for two months straight with a 1 week break in between until june 2008

6. Have you ever worn braids before? If so, how was your experience? Did you achieve your goals? Yes, I worn braids before, it's been two years now and I'm satisfyed with the way my hair is growing. I believe I will achieve my goal which is BSL by the summer of 2008.

gorgeoushair

1. When are you getting your braids done? I did it last week:grin:

2. How will you maintain them? (braid products, conditioning ): I wash every day, I use a homemade braid spray every day and I seal it with castor oil, at night I do a scalp massage with Boundless Tresses....

3. What are you hoping to achieve by wearing braids? Protective styling, growth retention and the most important: I'm hoping to reach BSL by the summer of 2008

4. What kind of hair are you using? How long? Style? I am using synthetic hair, remember beyoncé's style in the beginning? yeah this is the style that I have right now.

5. How long will you wear your braids? I will wear them for two months straight with a 1 week break in between until june 2008

6. Have you ever worn braids before? If so, how was your experience? Did you achieve your goals? Yes, I worn braids before, it's been two years now and I'm satisfyed with the way my hair is growing. I believe I will achieve my goal which is BSL by the summer of 2008.

I know you got pics, right? I used to love that style and wanted some very badly.

br0wney3z

This Friday (Aug 3)

I will be spraying them everyday with braid spray, washing using the C&G method and using BT every night or everyother night

I am hoping to retain length, while cutting down on the manipulation. And especially ease of styling

Either the synthetic milkway hair, or Aunty Lizzie's synthetic hair ( I love both of them) feel of human hair, for synthetic prices

Trying to stretch my relaxer to 16 weeks and I will be 7 weeks when I get them done. I plan on getting them redone once before my stretch is over.

I have worn braids since I was in grade school and have had very little success with retaining length, my hair would always break off, and detangling caused me a lot of unnecessary breakage so hopefully this time with more knowledge I will see better results.

Samory07

1. When are you getting your braids done? I plan on getting them done right before the Fall Semester starts...so probably Aug 18th

2. How will you maintain them (braid products, conditioning, etc.)? I'm not even really sure...probably a poo and condish every week with CON, a clarifying poo once a month, and Doo Gro Stimulating Growth Oil...I'm not really sure what to use with braids..If anyone has any suggestions feel free to chime in :yep:.

3. What are you hoping to achieve by wearing braids? 1. A break from the relaxers, hopefully my hair will have a chance to catch itself. 2.Growth! 3.The luxury of not having to comb my hair while stretching my relaxer and not having to think of different styles that will protect my hair and not make my new growth so obvious.

4. What kind of hair are you using? What style? How long? Bulk Afro Kinky hair...not too sure yet. I'm getting kinky twists that will be a little bit past shoulder length.

5. How long will you wear your braids? I would like to keep them in for about 2 months

6. Have you ever worn braids before? If so, how was your experience? Did you achieve your goals? The last time I wore braids was when my mom would braid my natural hair (no extensions) when I was young. I always had a lot of strong healthy hair and I never had any problems.

This is my first time getting braids so if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them...also if anyone knows of a really good place in Philly or Wilmington to get kinky twists done please let me know. I would like someone with a reasonable price and who doesnt braid to tight as to not put too stress on my hair. Thanks!:grin:

Bint Yusef

I am with you. I am on a braids and twist challenge for a year. I need to make my appointment for my second set. One month down 11 to go. I am already APL trying to make it to that hump of BSL and possibly midback.

1. When are you getting your braids done? Hopefully I can get them down Thursday.
2. How will you maintain them (braid products, conditioning, etc.)? Like I would my normal hair.
3. What are you hoping to achieve by wearing braids? Less brekage, growth retention, not watching and obsessing over every inch, to reach my goal of BSL
4. What kind of hair are you using? What style? How long? I think I may get micros this time. I am now in kinky twists.
5. How long will you wear your braids? I plan to braid for a year, hopefully I can get 3 or 4 months of mileage out of this micros.
6. Have you ever worn braids before? If so, how was your experience? Did you achieve your goals? Yes, but then I didnt have any goals.

Last edited: