A stagnant scalp can cause dandruff, a type of mold or yeast of the skin.

mg1979

A few weeks back The Curly Girl Handbook posted on Facebook the following text:

-Traction alopecia, dandruff and mold of the scalp.

"My hair is so unruly, I just tie it back all day, everyday"

Wearing your hair reigned back so tightly, can cause a variety of scalp conditions including receding hairlines and migraines. The scalp is an extension of your facial skin and is often forgotten. The scalp is not the hair and It needs to breathe, get aeration and to be massaged for proper blood circulation. A stagnant scalp can cause dandruff, a type of mold or yeast of the skin. It can happen when hair is tied back wet and stays damp all day long.
We must teach our children early on to cleanse and massage the scalp properly. We cannot assume they know and very often adults need to be reminded too. Movement cleans all things.

I knew the alopecia part, but the stagnant scalp causing dandruff, mold, or yeast I had not heard of or thought of. I don't pull my hair back tight, but I pull it up in some way (bun or whatever) and it's usually wet to damp (low porosity hair). I was wondering what everyone thought...particularly those that wet bun.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 126

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I used to work at a hair replacement salon and the things I've seen...!
(One lady wore weaves constantly and used that as the excuse for why she hadn't washed her hair in a YEAR. 365 DAYS!!! When her scalp was analyzed, it was green. GREEN, I tell you. So mold on the scalp is a very real possibility when it's not regularly cleaned. Though I admit she was an extreme case...)
Back on topic, I don't regularly wet bun, but when I do, it's only in the summer and my scalp is completely dry/almost completely dry before afternoon. I think this would be more of an issue for people whose scalp stays damp all day, most days of the week.

via LHCF App

Channy31

(One lady wore weaves constantly and used that as the excuse for why she hadn't washed her hair in a YEAR. 365 DAYS!!! When her scalp was analyzed, it was green. GREEN, I tell you. So mold on the scalp is a very real possibility when it's not regularly cleaned. Though I admit she was an extreme case...)
Back on topic, I don't regularly wet bun, but when I do, it's only in the summer and my scalp is completely dry/almost completely dry before afternoon. I think this would be more of an issue for people whose scalp stays damp all day, most days of the week.

via LHCF App

Thats story is vile!

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
via LHCF App

Her scalp was green?

LivingDoll

I've mentioned about dandruff being an overgrowth of yeast before in other threads. People have always seemed disinterested in the subject although I know many of the ladies suffer from dandruff. Go figure. They wanted product suggestions...they didn't want to know how to get rid of it for good. I suffered from a "yeasty" scalp for years and I was overjoyed to finally find out how to cure it. Thanks for sharing OP.

Last edited:

pearcey

the scalp naturally sloughs off dead skin cells just like your body.

Your scalp may be gross, but it won't affect hair growth.

and aren't we all about growing hair here? ;-)

deborah11

I've mentioned about dandruff being an overgrowth of yeast before in other threads. People have always seemed disinterested in the subject although I know many of the ladies suffer from dandruff. Go figure. They wanted product suggestions...they didn't want to know how to get rid of it for good. I suffered from a "yeasty" scalp for years and I was overjoyed to finally find out how to cure it. Thanks for sharing OP.[/QUOTEe

How did you cure it living doll?

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Actually, just like any other part of skin, if the scalp is not cleaned regularly of the "dead skin," it can lead to follicle clogging and deactivation.
The scalp sheds but the presence of hair keeps the shed skin close to the surface. This combined with product/buildup/improper cleaning all lead to strand weakness and even baldness...

via LHCF App

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Not to hijack OP, as I feel this story is tangentially relevant...
It is my understanding that dandruff can be the result of yeast or a simple case of excess shed skin.
The lady I encountered had actual mold. She was a light-skinned pretty black lady and her scalp was no lie Kermit the frog green.
A stylist was giving her a scalp analysis with a videoscope and everyone present had to hold their breath when that image popped up on the monitor. I employed the silent gag this job taught me. The lady was shocked and horrified.
She left without retaining the salon's services and I kinda think it was because she didn't believe the image. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would probably not have believed it either.
She was active, so I have to imagine she sweated a lot. And we get all four seasons in Chicago. Sometimes even bonus seasons. I can't go a week without washing. How she went a YEAR? I haven't a clue. I mean, it had to itch like crazy.
She probably had a whole habitat living on her scalp, a microcosm filled with all sorts of critters...
Now who do y'all think had to clean that videoscooe after she left...?

Her scalp was green?

Thats story is vile!

via LHCF App

southerncitygirl

A white stylist on youtube that does black hair talked about how the lack of frequency that black women wash their hair creates a conditions on the scalp similar to cradle cap. I also had a very candid convo with my hair stylist a couple of months back about the discussions black men have had with us in some capacity about black women not washing their hair regularly and then being able to smell it:nono: I don't understand washing your body, putting on nice clothing but having stank hair & musty scalp:perplexed

Ann0804

^ I wouldn't let a white woman touch me at all much less my hair, and I wish the word some folks don't wash their hair rather than implying all black women. I know I wash my hair at least twice a week along with all the black women in my family so I don't know why this is phrased like "all" and not phrased with "a few".

Misseyl

via LHCF App

All I have to say is yuck! It's times like this that makes me lose my appetite.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
At the salon I worked at, clients received free consultations before receiving service. It was pretty high end. The lady of my horror story was a potential client, and no, generally hair wasn't washed before a consultation. The lady already had a year old weave in her hair (it was probably originally done very well all things considered), but if you saw you would've guessed maybe 3 or 4 months old. So it was outwardly well maintained.

kxlot79 ekk who was putting these weaves in? Don't they make you wash before they do your hair?

via LHCF App

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
^ I wouldn't let a white woman touch me at all much less my hair, and I wish the word some folks don't wash their hair rather than implying all black women. I know I wash my hair at least twice a week along with all the black women in my family so I don't know why this is phrased like "all" and not phrased with "a few".

Unfortunately, I think it's significantly more than a "few". We all know someone who doesn't wash their hair regularly. It's so prevelant that those of us who do wash our hair more than once a week are look upon as strange by our friends and family members. I've always been a hair washer, since I was a little girl and my family used to make fun of me and tell me that my hair was going to fall out. Only now, 30 yrs later are they beginingt to see the light - the younger one. The older ladies still don't wash their hair more that once every 2-weeks.

It's a sad, but true fact in our community.

AgeinATL

via LHCF App

I agree. I am LP as well and I damp bun often, but my hair is not wet all day. I live in Atlanta, so in the summer/spring, my hair is dry by mid-day. You just have to allow your hair/scalp to breath and not make it a breeding ground for yeast. If you damp bun, do it loosely and make sure you allow your hair to dry.

Ann0804

Unfortunately, I think it's significantly more than a "few". We all know someone who doesn't wash their hair regularly. It's so prevelant that those of us who do wash our hair more than once a week are look upon as strange by our friends and family members. I've always been a hair washer, since I was a little girl and my family used to make fun of me and tell me that my hair was going to fall out. Only now, 30 yrs later are they beginingt to see the light - the younger one. The older ladies still don't wash their hair more that once every 2-weeks.

It's a sad, but true fact in our community.

Again that is people you know and people you have contact with. Don't make a generalization about all black people.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Again that is people you know and people you have contact with. Don't make a generalization about all black people.

Well.......the only black women that I know who washes more than once every two weeks are the ladies here on LHCF. This is the reality in my world - and most other black women. So..........I will generalize. If you and your family are different, good for you. But in my world, and most other black women's, you're the exceptions. Although, I will say that things are slowly changing.

I'm sure that if we took a poll of all the women here on LHCF, of their practices prior to joining, it would show that the every two weeks (or more) wash was the norm.

At the very least, it's enough black women that do this for us to have the reputation. So much so that its a common experience for those of us that do to get the "your hair smells good" compliment with a shocked expression, more than once.

Anyway, we don't have to agree. If your experiences are different, good for you.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Many conditioners, especially the "cleansing conditioners," have enough surfactants to sufficiently clean the scalp when used regularly.
The things to keep in mind are:
1) Frequency of cleansing
2) Cleansing product of choice
3) Other styling products, oils, etc.

If the majority of products used consist of heavy oils, silicones, or thick parabens, you'll need a cleanser with stronger surfactants (ACV, sulfate/sulfate-free shampoo, cleansing conditioner). OR you'll need to cleanse your scalp more often to ensure the buildup doesn't get too thick for your cleanser. OR you'll need to be mindful of the other products you use on your hair. (Or some combination of these options.)
Hair and scalp care are becoming more "common sense" information, where most people understand that the scalp should be the focus of cleansing efforts. Gentle rubbing, surfactants, and rinsing will eliminate most scalp debris. The less frequent cleansing or heavier product usage will complicate buildup.
HTH! :)

What if you are a lo-poo practicer, how would one prevent this?

via LHCF App

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I think the problem is that in our "community" the phrase "dirt makes your hair grow" is still running strong. WE on LHCF know it doesn't, but LHCF is not as big of a community.

I just had a conversation with my friend on Friday about how she wishes she could wash her hair more often. I told her I wash mine weekly and she was surprised; didn't really understand. She questioned if she could do it and I told her she should have started a long time ago. I know the products she uses (because I recommended them) and there is not reason she is not washing more. She gets dandruff too and I told her the cause of that.

If poo is the enemy, perhaps I should wonder what people think about soap. Forget it, I don't want to know…

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
I've mentioned about dandruff being an overgrowth of yeast before in other threads. People have always seemed disinterested in the subject although I know many of the ladies suffer from dandruff. Go figure. They wanted product suggestions...they didn't want to know how to get rid of it for good. I suffered from a "yeasty" scalp for years and I was overjoyed to finally find out how to cure it. Thanks for sharing OP.

I'm not disinterested:look: I've suffered with dandruff for years and have even revived a few old threads to get help but to no avail, could you please point us to these threads you've started?

No it won't affect hair growth (as is my case). But like kxlot79 pointed out, in the end, it may cause baldness.

Ogoma

People think their hair doesn't smell, but it does. They just cannot smell it anymore.

With all the products and techniques out there, there is really no excuse for one not washing their hair at least once a week whether the hair is loose, in braids, in extensions, whatever. I make it a habit of telling people when their hair smells. They might as well know what they are walking around with.

SouthernScienceNerd

I don't think dandruff is ALWAYS caused by a dirty scalp. When I was relaxed, I would shampoo my hair every 3 or 4 days and I had terrible dandruff. I'm natural now and I wash every 2 weeks with bentonite clay. I have thick past MBL 3c/4a hair. I have not had any dandruff since my transition. I think some dandruff is caused by dry scalp and/or chemical damage.

LivingDoll

@LivingDoll so how did you cure it?

I'm currently suffering from a flaky scalp & it's driving me crazy!!

I've mentioned about dandruff being an overgrowth of yeast before in other threads. People have always seemed disinterested in the subject although I know many of the ladies suffer from dandruff. Go figure. They wanted product suggestions...they didn't want to know how to get rid of it for good. I suffered from a "yeasty" scalp for years and I was overjoyed to finally find out how to cure it. Thanks for sharing OP.[/QUOTEe

How did you cure it living doll?

I'm not disinterested:look: I've suffered with dandruff for years and have even revived a few old threads to get help but to no avail, could you please point us to these threads you've started?

No it won't affect hair growth (as is my case). But like @kxlot79 pointed out, in the end, it may cause baldness.

@curlycrocheter
@Maracujá
deborah11

Hi ladies, I'm sorry...I wasn't trying to be elusive. I did a candida cleanse diet in which I stopped eating all sugars and starches for about a week. I also took a probiotic supplement called Threelac which helps to kill the candida. You basically have to kill the yeast in your system. I also stopped using shampoos with sulfates, conditioners with cones, and I stopped relaxing. My scalp is 99.5% better than it used to be. I used to be able to scratch my scalp and see white stuff underneath my nails. I would also have flakes on my clothes and on my neck sometimes. I went to a derm a few times and they gave me medicated shampoo that did not work. They also told me that my "dandruff" was not fungal, it was just dry scalp (which is prob why the medicated poo didn't work...I have no idea why they prescribed it).

Now when I scratch my scalp there is nothing underneath. I don't use any medication/dandruff shampoos anymore either.

Last edited:

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
I don't think dandruff is ALWAYS caused by a dirty scalp. When I was relaxed, I would shampoo my hair every 3 or 4 days and I had terrible dandruff. I'm natural now and I wash every 2 weeks with bentonite clay. I have thick past MBL 3c/4a hair. I have not had any dandruff since my transition. I think some dandruff is caused by dry scalp and/or chemical damage.

I agree with this. I had the worse dandruff when I was relaxed and shampooed once a week. I'm now natural and will have the occasional flaking but nothing like the dandruff I had when I was relaxed.