A Timeline of Black Hair In History

MsLizziA

Whether it’s activist Angela Davis’s Afro or hip-hop diva Lil’ Kim’s “weave of the week,” black hair has long had the power to set trends and reflect societal attitudes.

Since February is Black History Month — a time to remember important people and events that shaped the lives of African Americans—we thought it was an ideal time to explore how hairstyles have been interwoven into that history. It is a story that continues to evolve. Here is a look back at some of the key events and people who shaped the black hairstory.

1444: Europeans trade on the west coast of Africa with people wearing elaborate hairstyles, including locks, plaits and twists.

1619: First slaves brought to Jamestown; African language, culture and grooming tradition begin to disappear.

1700s: Calling black hair “wool,” many whites dehumanize slaves. The more elaborate African hairstyles cannot be retained.

1800s: Without the combs and herbal treatments used in Africa, slaves rely on bacon grease, butter and kerosene as hair conditioners and cleaners. Lighter-skinned, straight-haired slaves command higher prices at auction than darker, more kinky-haired ones. Internalizing color consciousness, blacks promote the idea that blacks with dark skin and kinky hair are less attractive and worth less.

1865: Slavery ends, but whites look upon black women who style their hair like white women as well-adjusted. “Good” hair becomes a prerequisite for entering certain schools, churches, social groups and business networks.

Read the rest here.....

CurlsBazillion

That timeline was the best idea ever. Great thread OP. I can see 2011 being added stating natural hair becomes more popular among black women.

AryaStarr258

"2003: New Bedford, Mass. Dance teacher Amy Fernandes’ refuses to allow 4-year-old Amari Diaw to participate in her ballet dance recital along with the other children in her class who have been practicing for the exciting event because she requires the girls to pull back their hair into a bun. Amari’s mom put Amari’s very curly hair into cornrows and pulled it back into a bun. Fernandes, however, insisted that the braids be removed and that Amari’s hair be pulled back straight into a bun."

I was just....wow. Wow.

luckiestdestiny

Good timeline. Let's hope for better times in the future because it seems that things are cyclical in re to accepting and rejecting our hair (and in re to treatment of naturals with kinkier textures by others)....oh and I just want to erase Chris Rock :giggle::giggle: from the timeline...is that so wrong?

Last edited:

Godyssey

Isn't it amazing how "controversial" and "deep" the issue of our hair is...and has been for centuries??? Even just as recently as Viola Davis at the Oscars, and it's 2012.

Wow, great article! It really makes you think.

Thanks for posting!

candy626

Great post! I was just thinking to myself how I did not focus on black history stuff for February like I usually do.

So many things happened in slavery that we are still working through to do this day. People beating their hair into submission was one of them. Good to see this gradually changing though..

localhost

Thanks for sharing, I plan to share this with others.

It makes me very proud to be a part of a "movement" that is reclaiming what is ours naturally.

MsLizziA

1800s: Without the combs and herbal treatments used in Africa, slaves rely on bacon grease, butter and kerosene as hair conditioners and cleaners. Lighter-skinned, straight-haired slaves command higher prices at auction than darker, more kinky-haired ones. Internalizing color consciousness, blacks promote the idea that blacks with dark skin and kinky hair are less attractive and worth less.

At least we know where the use of mineral oils and other hair clogging "moisturizers" started. Kerosene? gotdamn

Great blog. I've got some family members who can look at this. Still trapped in the 'straight hair is good hair' theory.:nono:

Even if it's two inches of straight hair vs thick, healthy bsl hair. :lol:

sheanu

Loved it!!!

I definitely agree with the poster who said most likely 2011 would be the year that natural black hair becomes more accepted.

I go to a majority white university (I'm the only black person in 5/6 of my classes lol.) Just about every other black girl I see is going natural. I was in a conversation with a group of 7 my girlfriends the other day and each of us except for 1 is natural. It was the strangest thing on so many levels! It was strange to see so many women going natural (or at least stretching those relaxers longer like the one girl who had a perm was doing)...It was strange to really see everyone's true texture and how diverse we were...it was strange that it was even strange! After so long of it being drilled into our heads that our natural hair needed to be straightened to look presentable, we were all just staring at each other like "WOW I can't believe only one of us has a perm...WTH? Why is this so weird??? This is so surreal!!!" Idk if what I'm saying makes sense or if anyone else has had this experience but...yeah...that's my piece lol

Lita

Thanks for sharing & 2012 is the natural hair scene or the long stretch for permies..

Happy Hair Growing!