A Transitioners Album Update: Shake 'n Go

vangrey

hey everyone!!!!
i am sooo excited that i am four mos into transitioning... i am well on my way to being totally natural!!!! anyways, i updated my album to include some transitioning hairstyles, but they can be for permies and naturals. i think i finally mastered how to deal with the two textures. i braid my hair every night and in the morning, i just shake and go!!! also, this is a way i dont have to comb except of wash days.
http://public.fotki.com/VanGrey/transitioning_hairstyles/
pw: chaz
enjoy!!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I braided my hair like that before to do a braidout and how come mine didn't turn out beautiful like yours!!! I wish I had longer hair. You're hair is SO PRETTY! Anyway, I usually braided my hair on airdried hair. Did you braid your hair on wet, airdried or heat-dried hair??? I might have to try this again but the thing is, I have bangs and my sides are shorter than the back. Wait a minute? Don't you have bangs too? How did you keep them from sticking out after un-braiding the two braids on the side of your head??? (Sorry for all the questions! I'm Ms. Inquisitive!!! :grin: )

vangrey

Poohbear said:
Anyway, I usually braided my hair on airdried hair. Did you braid your hair on wet, airdried or heat-dried hair??? (Sorry for all the questions!

normally, when i have time:
i rollerset my wet hair, a la sylver2, then i sit under the dryer for about 30 mins and let it airdry overnight. the next day i take the rollers out and just section off into plaits.
for those pictures:
i didnt really have time. so i rollerset on damp hair then sat under dryer for 10 mins. then airdried for three hours. my hair was in between dry and damp. then i sectioned off into plaits

i noticed when i did it on wet hair, my hair came out tightly curled.... didn't like that. the straighter your hair is when you do the plaits= the looser your curl or wave pattern.

Poohbear said:
I might have to try this again but the thing is, I have bangs and my sides are shorter than the back. Wait a minute? Don't you have bangs too? How did you keep them from sticking out after un-braiding the two braids on the side of your head???

well.. that pic im avatar was taken in january. my bangs hang a little below my nose now. sometimes i leave a few of the bangs out when im braiding or ill include them in the braid. when i leave them out of the braid, the bangs lay down on the side of my head when i apply the scarf at night.. in the morning they are wavy-straight... so it blends in with the rest of my hair. but recently, i just started including them in the braid

HATH... if you need clarification just ask!!

Poohbear

vangrey said:
normally, when i have time:
i rollerset my wet hair, a la sylver2, then i sit under the dryer for about 30 mins and let it airdry overnight. the next day i take the rollers out and just section off into plaits.
for those pictures:
i didnt really have time. so i rollerset on damp hair then sat under dryer for 10 mins. then airdried for three hours. my hair was in between dry and damp. then i sectioned off into plaits

i noticed when i did it on wet hair, my hair came out tightly curled.... didn't like that. the straighter your hair is when you do the plaits= the looser your curl or wave pattern.

well.. that pic im avatar was taken in january. my bangs hang a little below my nose now. sometimes i leave a few of the bangs out when im braiding or ill include them in the braid. when i leave them out of the braid, the bangs lay down on the side of my head when i apply the scarf at night.. in the morning they are wavy-straight... so it blends in with the rest of my hair. but recently, i just started including them in the braid

HATH... if you need clarification just ask!!
Yes that helps! My bangs are a lil below my nose too, but when I include my bangs in the braid and then unbraid, my bangs stickout and don't look right because it doesn't blend in. They're considerably shorter than the rest of my hair. I may have to try what you do and leave the bangs out of the braid. How do you keep your bangs looking nice from sleeping in the scarf? Do you use a roller for your bangs or do you pin them to the side of your head?

vangrey

@poohbear: ok im going to try to explain the scarf.. i apply the scarf to my head without paying attn to my bangs... then after it is tied on, i smooth my fingers on both sides of the scarf to tuck bang ends under. or i guess you could use those small crease-free bobbypins to tie them back. in the morning when i shake my hair everything just falls into place without combing... if i dont include my bangs in the plait then i just comb them, to adjust them a little.

ouch!!! i tried to make it as understandable as possible... HTH :)

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Oh me goodness!! What beautiful head of hair! Good luck on transitioning- who knows- you may be getting the big chop bug that's been going around here on LHCF lately!

vangrey

thanks ladies
@bub: girl, i do not have the courage to do a bc right now... i am planning transitioning for about 2 years or when my natural hair reaches bsl stretched :)
@onepraying: i love your hair as well!!!!

Poohbear

vangrey said:
@poohbear: ok im going to try to explain the scarf.. i apply the scarf to my head without paying attn to my bangs... then after it is tied on, i smooth my fingers on both sides of the scarf to tuck bang ends under. or i guess you could use those small crease-free bobbypins to tie them back. in the morning when i shake my hair everything just falls into place without combing... if i dont include my bangs in the plait then i just comb them, to adjust them a little.

ouch!!! i tried to make it as understandable as possible... HTH :)
I understood it! ;) Thanks for explaining! :grin: