"A Weave Is Not a Protective Style; It's Just a Weave"

Ogoma

I happen to agree with what she's trying to say

but she has assumed that everyone is going natural so as to reject euro-centric beauty standards. that's just not the case.

I agree with her overall sentiment: it is better for people to be honest with themselves, but I agree with you that she is making assumptions as to what that honesty should be based on.

shermeezy

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree with several of your points. I disagree with a few as well. I do believe that the ideals of beauty that we've absorbed since birth lead women to believe that longer hair is more beautiful. However, just because you have natural hair doesn't mean you're an expert on race theory and sociology. Some women are at the beginning, or right in the middle of a struggle with self identity and rely on the dependability of style that comes with a quick weave. Some women really just like weaves & wigs because they're "easy". Natural hair isn't "easy" for everyone. Sometimes it can be a pain, especially when you're styling a new texture and don't know what you're doing. :look:

With that said, I really do understand what you were trying to say and I agree on many levels.

jenaccess

Hair weaves is most certainly a protective style when done correctly. I am transitioning and the weave I am wearing is shorter that my hair. I love it and I have retained 2 inches of new growth in 3 month

Saga

The Generous Queen
So this women said "Weave is not a protective style>"

But then later on she says "Why does our hair need protecting.?"

So is the problem the weave or the protective styling? YO NO SE~

GreenBloodyShoe

Since when is all black hair short and nappy? What is wrong with wanting long hair. Most if not all women prefer their hair long and any texture of hair if taken care of properly and not cut will eventually grow long. It really gets on my nerves when black people make it seem like if you don't have short nappy hair then you are suffering from some kind of self hate. I believe black women say things like that when they themselves don't know how to grow their own hair long and don't like seeing other black women with long natural hair. This woman specifically needs to calm down and go suck on a cucumber because her mouth is out of control.

Personally I hate weaves and wigs but I'm not going to tell someone else how I feel about it or what to do with their own hair unless they ask. My focus is on my hair not anyone else's.

Hellena

Since when is all black hair short and nappy? What is wrong with wanting long hair. Most if not all women prefer their hair long and any texture of hair if taken care of properly and not cut will eventually grow long. It really gets on my nerves when black people make it seem like if you don't have short nappy hair then you are suffering from some kind of self hate. I believe black women say things like that when they themselves don't know how to grow their own hair long and don't like seeing other black women with long natural hair. This woman specifically needs to calm down and go suck on a cucumber because her mouth is out of control.

Personally I hate weaves and wigs but I'm not going to tell someone else how I feel about it or what to do with their own hair unless they ask. My focus is on my hair not anyone else's.

I totally agree. Don't judge someone else because you can't do it. My daughter however wants weave in her hair 12 months a year. She stays mad at me because I won't allow it. I think weave is only to be worn all of the time when you have no choice. And since she has an alternative she should use it by taking the time to learn to take proper care of her own hair.