A White Man Pulled Up Along Side Black Family, And Opened Fire,killing 7yr Old Child

Kiowa

Police in Texas are seeking a white man who pulled alongside a black family’s car and opened fire, fatally shooting a 7-year-old girl.

The family of five was leaving a Walmart parking lot Sunday morning in the Houston area when a man driving a red pickup truck pulled up to the side of their car and started shooting, reported KHOU-TV.

Jazmine Barnes was killed instantly, and her mother LaPorsha Washington was shot in the arm. Another girl was injured by shattered glass, and two sisters were unharmed.

The 30-year-old Washington was expected to recover from her wound.

Authorities described the suspect as a bearded white man in his 40s, and he remains at large.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/c...lled-7-year-old-in-ne-harris-co/285-625412626

Everything Zen

^^^Nobody said you couldn’t ask a question. When you said there is more to this story it sounds like the family may have some blame in what happened. Unfortunately we know that people (especially black people) are killed in senseless acts of violence all the time. Hopefully when they catch him he will speak for his actions. Usually they are cowards and don’t say anything once caught. :ohwell:

meka72

Man charged in Jazmine Barnes' killing as investigation takes a 'new direction'
(CNN) — A man was charged with capital murder in the drive-by shooting of 7-year-old Jazmine Barnes who was killed as she rode in a car with her family in Texas.

Investigators identified Eric Black Jr., 20, as a suspect based on a tip. He was arrested and has admitted to taking part in the shooting, the Harris County Sheriff's Office said in a statement early Sunday.

A convenience store run shatters family's life
"Investigators are continuing to pursue evidence that could possibly lead to other suspects being charged in this case," the statement said. "At this time, investigators do not believe Jazmine's family was the intended target of the shooting, and that they were possibly shot as a result of mistaken identity."

Barnes was riding in a car with her mother, LaPorsha Washington of Houston, and three sisters on December 30 about 7 a.m. when a man in a red or maroon pickup truck drove up next to their vehicle and opened fire.

Jazmine was fatally shot in the head.

Washington, 30, was shot in the arm, while Jazmine's 6-year-old sister was hit by shattered glass. Jazmine's two teenage sisters were not harmed.

A sketch of the suspect compiled from descriptions from Jazmine's mother and three sisters showed a white man in his 40s with a 5 o'clock shadow and a hoodie.

Late Saturday the Harris County Sheriff's Office tweeted that their homicide investigation had taken a "new direction," without providing specifics.

"Detectives are in the process of interviewing persons of interest. More details will be released as soon as possible."

Attack 'was totally unprovoked'
Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez has previously said that investigators believe the attack "was totally unprovoked."

The girls were still in their pajamas, traveling to Joe V's Smart Shop to get supplies for breakfast with their grandmother, who was staying with the family when they were shot at.

Investigators released an enhanced surveillance video of the extended-cab pickup and urged residents to call with leads. They asked people with access to surveillance camera around Wallisville Road and East Sam Houston Parkway to check their footage.

Rally for Jazmine
Saturday, hundreds attended a rally outside the Walmart near the road where Jazmine was killed.

"There's going to be justice for her," Washington told the crowd, "because there's too many people out here looking for this man."

She said Jazmine would have celebrated her birthday next month.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/05/us/texas-jazmine-barnes-shooting-rally/index.html
Community rallies for justice
"I'm telling you, every time I see one of y'all reach out for me, I can hold my head up," she said. "I can get up in the morning."

A series of speakers, including members of Jazmine's family and community leaders, expressed dismay and shock at the murder of the young girl.

Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee called for a nationwide manhunt for the suspect.

"This is no longer a Houston case," Lee said. "This is the case that has taken national proportions and so you are gathered here for the nation to see that there is no room for failure."

Many speakers addressed Jazmine's killer directly on Saturday, calling him a coward and pleading with him to turn himself in.

Support for family
The impact of Jazmine's death has been felt far and wide, and supporters have come together to support the family.

Nearly 2,500 people have donated to a GoFundMe set up for Jazmine's funeral expenses and family. Houston Texans receiver DeAndre Hopkins has said he'll donate his playoff game check to the family.

Jazmine will also be remembered Tuesday during a "Justice for Jazmine Barnes Community Rally" honoring "all murdered victims in Houston/Harris County," according to organizers.

Services for Jazmine are scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. Tuesday with a viewing at Green House International Church. Her funeral is at noon. Mourners plan to release purple balloons -- Jazmine's favorite color.

Jazmine's father, Christopher Cevilla, this week thanked the countless supporters. He appealed to the public for information about the attack.

"I just want anybody, whoever, out there that knows anything about the murder of my daughter, to just please step up as if it was your own," he said. "Just put yourself in my shoes, in my family's shoes."

CNN's Carma Hassan, Dakin Andone, Kaylee Hartung and Ray Sanchez contributed to this report.

View on CNN

kikigirl

I know there have been countless black young lives taken in reckless evil manners like in the OP. But I’m just praying that this is the straw that will break the camel’s back.

Listen, the most nutty alt-righter would be hard-pressed to explain how a precious little girl, probably still in her booster seat :cry3::cry3:, caused this piece of garbage to be afraid for his life.

I know, I know...there is always that one tunfoiled theory about how the girl was actually a strange alien that would grow up to overtake the world. But among rational people, I hope that Jasmine’s death won’t become just another empty seat at the family table.

No parent wants to lose a child so that a perceptible change occurs. So I’m still just :cry3:with her family. Why do black lives have to end for the rest of the world to assimilate centuries-long history?!

kikigirl

No way....weren’t the initial reports about a white dude???

I haven’t read the link but I’m crying foul...
Because the narrative does not fit Trayvon or any other young black life taken, now we have to make it black on black crime?

ETA: read the article. Seems the suspect/shooter’s last name is Black like the devoured by lion lady’s name.

Call me conspiracy theorist...but they either mistook the last name Black for race “black” or are trying to shift this to the uncared for “black on black” crime folder. Because this sweet little girl had no prior they could dig up or sketchy rationale for being where she was.

Yeah....black suspect called Black....alright.