A White Woman Has Apologized After Calling Police On A Black Man And Saying 'there's An African Amer

Leeda.the.Paladin

A white woman has apologized for calling police on a black man in Central Park on Monday, after the two argued about her unleashed dog.

Amy Cooper told CNN she wanted to "publicly apologize to everyone."
"I'm not a racist. I did not mean to harm that man in any way," she said, adding that she also didn't mean any harm to the African American community.
She was walking her dog Monday while Christian Cooper was bird watching at a wooded area of Central Park called the Ramble.

Amy Cooper and Christian Cooper are not related.
They both told CNN the dispute began because Amy Cooper's dog was not on a leash. Dogs are supposed to be leashed at all times in the Ramble, according to the park's website.
The dog has been surrendered to the shelter he was adopted from days earlier while the dispute is addressed, according to a Facebook post from Abandoned Angels Cocker Spaniel Rescue, Inc.

"The dog is now in our rescue's care and he is safe and in good health," the post said.
Christian Cooper recorded video of part of their encounter and posted it on Facebook, where it has since been shared more than 2,000 times.

"I'm taking a picture and calling the cops," Amy Cooper is heard saying in the video. "I'm going to tell them there's an African American man threatening my life."

The New York Police Department told CNN when officers responded, neither Christian Cooper nor Amy Cooper were present. No arrests or summonses were made, according to NYPD.

"I think I was just scared," Amy Cooper said. "When you're alone in the Ramble, you don't know what's happening. It's not excusable, it's not defensible."

She told CNN that since the video was posted, her "entire life is being destroyed right now."
She has been placed on administrative leave by her employer, investment company Franklin Templeton.

"We take these matters very seriously, and we do not condone racism of any kind. While we are in the process of investigating the situation, the employee involved has been put on administrative leave," the company's statement read.

The incident is being pointed to as another example of white people calling the police on African Americans for mundane things.
"I videotaped it because I thought it was important to document things," Christian Cooper said. "Unfortunately we live in an era with things like Ahmaud Arbery, where black men are seen as targets. This woman thought she could exploit that to her advantage, and I wasn't having it."

Asked if he'd accept her apology, Christian Cooper told CNN he would "if it's genuine and if she plans on keeping her dog on a leash in the Ramble going forward, then we have no issues with each other."

What led up to the video?
The incident began between 7:30 a.m. and 8 a.m. Monday morning, both parties told CNN Monday.

Christian Cooper, who described himself as an avid bird watcher, was out birding in the Ramble. The area is a "a major birding hotspot. It's on the Atlantic flyway," he said.
That's when he says he saw a dog off its leash.

"That's important to us birders because we know that dogs won't be off leash at all and we can go there to see the ground-dwelling birds," Christian Cooper said. "People spend a lot of money and time planting in those areas as well. Nothing grows in a dog run for a reason."

Racially biased 911 calls are a huge problem. This isn't a solution

Amy Cooper tells CNN she was walking her unleashed dog, knowing that it was against the rules.

"He was running in an open field. This man, he was bird watching. He came out of the bush," she said, adding that Christian Cooper was screaming at her.

Christian Cooper says the dog was "tearing through the plantings," and he told Amy Cooper the dog needed to be on a leash. He says he was not screaming at Amy Cooper, and "was actually pretty calm."

The two went back-and-forth about the dog leash. Christian Cooper, according to his Facebook post, then told the Amy Cooper: "Look, if you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it."

"I didn't know what that meant. When you're alone in a wooded area, that's absolutely terrifying right?" Amy Cooper said.

That's when Christian Cooper says he pulled out dog treats. He told CNN he keeps dog treats with him to get dog owners to put their dogs on leashes. Christian Cooper said dog owners, in his experience, hate it when a stranger feeds their dog treats and immediately restrain their dogs afterwards.

Amy Cooper says he was throwing them at her dog, Christian Cooper says he never threw any treats.

And that's when he started recording the incident, Christian Cooper said on Facebook.
What happened in the video?
The video begins with Amy Cooper pulling her dog by the collar and telling Christian Cooper to stop recording.
"Please don't come close to me," Christian Cooper says, as she approaches
"Sir, I'm asking you to stop recording me," Amy Cooper says.
He asks her again not to come close.
That's when Amy Cooper says she's going to call the police.
"I'm going to tell them there's an African American man threatening my life," she says.

How 911 calls on blacks are a new twist on something old: white flight

"Please tell them whatever you like," Christian Cooper says.
The video shows Amy Cooper on her phone.
"There's a man, African American, he has a bicycle helmet," she says. "He is recording me and threatening me and my dog."
While she's on the phone, her dog appears to be straining and trying to get free while she tries to restrain it.
"I'm being threatened by a man in the Ramble," she continues in an audibly distraught voice . "Please send the cops immediately!"
The video ends with Christian Cooper saying "Thank You."

FoxxyLocs

I love how their apologies always include that they aren’t racist and they didn’t mean it, when they clearly are racist and did mean exactly what they said. And she’s still lying saying he was screaming at her and throwing treats at her dog. I hope she gets fired.

Last edited:

awhyley

I’m glad she’s in trouble with her job and lost her dog. Now she needs to go to jail for filing a false report.

The WW never want to be checked. I hope there's a fine too for walking her dog in the wrong area. She knew he was recording, what did she think would happen? Just glad that man is safe.

I hope she gets fired.

Doubt it. The company released a statement that she's been placed on admin leave, so you know what that means. She'll be back in office by the end of lockdown.
(or work from home indefinitely)

[eta: Actually, I stand corrected. She works(ed) as VP & Head of Investment Solutions at Franklin Templeton. She's going down. Too high profile to ignore. Franklin Templeton's website crashed yesterday evening. Very bad press for them.]

Link: https://heavy.com/news/2020/05/amy-cooper-video-new-york/

Last edited:

Leeda.the.Paladin

In the link above, it was noted that Ms. Cooper operated an Instagram for the dog, and that there were quite a few "incidents" posted on there.

(eta: ) Tweet won't load, but it's in the link above. Cooper has now made the insta private.
She seems like she likes attention. I’ve noticed a lot of people who run these pet accounts use the animal to garner sympathy and attention. They will often place these animals in precarious situations.

she probably had a story all planned about the monster negro who attacked them inthe parj

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I'm not even an animal person and I was like :eek: at how she was dragging that dog. Somebody posted photos from the dog's instagram and it's had several "accidents" and folks were talking about how the owner probably has Munchausen by proxy.

As for the incident, if Christian Cooper can be that quick to forgive Miss Anne considering she was literally setting him up for death by cop and was gloating about doing it then ain't no need for me to be upset. His wife/gf prolly look just like her.

As far as both Christian and me are concerned, the real victim is the dog, who got enough sense NOT to forgive her :moon:. I bet you if she showed up at the kennel, that dog ain't go be in no kind of hurry to go nowhere with her.

Dog 1
Black man -∞

Theresamonet

I'm not even an animal person and I was like :eek: at how she was dragging that dog. Somebody posted photos from the dog's instagram and it's had several "accidents" and folks were talking about how the owner probably has Munchausen by proxy.

As for the incident, if Christian Cooper can be that quick to forgive Miss Anne considering she was literally setting him up for death by cop and was gloating about doing it then ain't no need for me to be upset. His wife/gf prolly look just like her.

As far as both Christian and me are concerned, the real victim is the dog, who got enough sense NOT to forgive her :moon:. I bet you if she showed up at the kennel, that dog ain't go be in no kind of hurry to go nowhere with her.

Dog 1
Black man -∞

Right? Im like... As long as she keeps her dog on a leash from now on, y’all ain’t got a problem?? So... her trying to set you up to be gunned down in your favorite bird watching spot is no big deal??????

Last edited:

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
His response does not sound like he is actually forgiving her in that annoying way some people do to so call forgive others for monstrous acts.

I think his public answer is good because he gets his point across without sounding hostile which further emphasizes that how out of line she was.

He clearly knows what's up based on his decision to record.

FelaShrine

His response does not sound like he is actually forgiving her in that annoying way some people do to so call forgive others for monstrous acts.

I think his public answer is good because he gets his point across without sounding hostile which further emphasizes that how out of line she was.

He clearly knows what's up based on his decision to record.

Exactly doesnt sound forgiving at all else a simple 'Yes I do" would have been it instead of the torpsy turvy PC answer.

Anyway the real good news is

Last edited:

Prudent1

I am so sick of this mess!!! This was a part of a larger group of video footage the Times and others published on people like Cornerstore Caroline and Key fob Kelly being filmed during this pandemic as they falsely accused black people of all kinds of wrong-doing :mad:. God only knows how many people have already died or been incarcerated because of this foolishness. I am so glad to see white people come forward and tell the truth like the ones at that Starbucks and the one lady who refused to leave the soccer game when the police were called on the dad who was speaking to his son or the black babysitter in GA where a woman approached his car and demanded to know why the kids were in his car. It is refreshing to know that while so many feel entitled there are others who unashamedly public support minorities and refuse to turn a blind eye to racism.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Interesting no where does it say that he forgave her

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/05/26/...can-trnd/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

Anyway dude is a total bird loving nerd, while she decided to go off the rails

Me and Christian would be friends. I used to birdwatch when I was a kid; I had all kinds of bird guides and everything. Though I stopped as I grew up, I never stopped loving seeing different birds and recognizing the bird families they belonged to. Where I live my backyard is full of trees and in the early morning, cardinals, blue jays and robin red breasts flit from tree to tree. They are so beautiful and puts me in a happy mood when I see the bright red of the cardinals and blue of the jays. I’m a nature lover!

Kanky

ScorpioBeauty09

Now they are trying to ban her from the park. :lol:

“The Central Park Civic Association condemns this behavior and is calling on Mayor [Bill] de Blasio to impose a lifetime ban on this lady for her deliberate, racial misleading of law enforcement and violating behavioral guidelines set so that all can enjoy our city’s most famous park,” Fischer said.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/26/civic-association-calls-on-de-blasio-to-ban-central-park-karen/
It's petty but I'm with it.

Prudent1

Me and Christian would be friends. I used to birdwatch when I was a kid; I had all kinds of bird guides and everything. Though I stopped as I grew up, I never stopped loving seeing different birds and recognizing the bird families they belonged to. Where I live my backyard is full of trees and in the early morning, cardinals, blue jays and robin red breasts flit from tree to tree. They are so beautiful and puts me in a happy mood when I see the bright red of the cardinals and blue of the jays. I’m a nature lover!
Side note- I am a nature lover too!! But I prefer raptors..:)