Aaliyah's Hair

Blackndiangirl

Re: Aaliyah\'s Hair

She said it was pressed and i read in a magazine once that she used hair pieces to achieve some of the length

H

HoneyRockette

She used the pieces for thickness. The length was all hers.

beana3

i've read that she uses the pieces for BOTH reasons, length and thickness. If i could find the article online, i would post where she HERSELF disclosed that her length was assisted by hair pieces, and there is nothing wrong with tht either. Either way she kept it very nice looking. I mean there is no reason to get heated over it, many celebs with nice hair add pieces to achieve addtional length and thickness, she is definetely not exempt.

hairfanatic

Hi Carmella,

Aaliyah's hair was pressed. Here is her routine.

Washed every 10 days, blowdried, pressed and flat ironed.

Kerapro Conditioning Shampoo by Joico
Joico K-Pak Deep-Penetrationg Cream Hair Reconstructor
Lanza Re Balance Leave In Conditioner
Sebatian Laminates Drops to keep her hair sleek and smooth

Allandra

I've used L'anza Re-Balance Leave-In Conditioner. Fooling with some of you ladies, what haven't I used? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif It's a creamy leave-in (my favorite type). I really liked it. L'anza has since changed it from Re-Balance to Urban.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

In the 8/2000 (I'm a pack rat /images/graemlins/crazy.gif ) issue of Soph. Black Hair she said she presses it. Her own hair length is past her chest, but she adds pieces when she tours, does a video or wants a specific look. She braids her hair and has pieces sewn in when she's working to keep from having to press and curl it all the time.

Something I found odd in the interview was that she trimmed her hair 1/2" 'every month or so' to keep from getting split ends. If the ends aren't split, why trim?

Very pretty girl. RIP

hairfanatic

Don't feel bad SassyGirl,

I'm a pack rat also. I have been collecting Sophisticates Black Hair Magazine since the first one with Jane Kennedy in 1983

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I'm a pack rat also. I have been collecting Sophisticates Black Hair Magazine since the first one with Jane Kennedy in 1983

[/ QUOTE ]

Were we separated at birth? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I still have that issue, too! It's at my parents house in my room that still looks the way it did when I left in '85. Littered with hair mags, New Edition posters and issues of Soul Teen. LOL
I remember her hair was all crinkly looking... Now that was a beautiful head of hair! I stayed up late one night last month to see her movie 'Cover Girls'. She was an international spy and a supermodel... it could happen! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Leigh

She presses. Her own hair was actually waist length at one point. She trimmed a little of the length when she added long layers before she colored the ends, I think she had it cut basically even with the dipped ends. She has also dyed it black. Her natural hair color is brown/dark brown. It may have been bra strap in the back and past her chest in the front when she cut the color out. I know that it was mid back with the color in - I can't remember what the name of the song she recorded with a particular rapper was. At any rate she didn't have any weave in her hair for that particular performance.

I've also used the L'Anza and Joico products. I have K-pax now and I love the long hair re-balance leave in. I bought 3 big bottles when they renamed it.

Aaliyah wore braids or weaves off and on for 2 to 3 months at a time to give her own hair a break and to grow it out. Her hair grew fast anyway so that just made it better. She also wore the weave when doing a video or when on the road because of the stress of having to straighten her hair daily (because of the sweating). She experienced some breakage early on when using Affirm and grew the relaxer out. She also experienced a little breakage on her natural hair because of all the heat so her stylist recommended wearing the weave when needed.

Usually she did not wear weaves for her photo shoots. Her own hair was extremely thick, like mine so no weave was needed unless it was to add thickness when she had layers cut in. In fact her hair was layered again before her accident. She came to my city and had no weave. People were touching her hair and commenting on how beautiful and thick it was. She also did't wear weaves to the award shows. Her main thing was to wear them if she wanted to change her style or to protect her own hair. She said she was vey protective of it because it took a lot to grow it out and she wanted to keep it so she kept it moisturized, her stylist used good shampoos and conditioners, and she wrapped it at night. I forget what vitamin and herb combo she used.

I've heard her talk about her hair off and on throughout the years and on the way to work about 2 weeks before she passed she was in town and on the local radio show saying she didn't have a perm. I think her hair was waist length with layers that started right below the shoulder's. I always felt bad because I could've at least stopped by to say hi, but who knew.

Leigh

keylargo

oh why did you have to mention that she took vitamins??? i have to know what her vitamin regimen was now......i am prepared to go out and buy them today. please please try to remember exactly what she took. i have my shoes on and keys in hand now waiting for you to remember.