Absolute Horrific Salon Experience! (Pix included)

HeavenlySkies

So I took a chance and went to this Walmart Smartstyle Salon (Russell & Eastern) for the Vegas ladies. I would go in there every now and then and check out the products or whatever and there was a black hair stylist there named "Marcela". So after a couple of weeks of not wanting to have a big poof under my wig I called the salon and asked if she could braid my hair in cornrows straight back (only because my mom had on nails). Anyway so I get there and after the first braid I knew I should have walked out. Being that I'm so non-confrontational I didn't and now I know I should have. I washed and detangled it before I went in there so it was good to go. This chick was raking through my hair with a comb like she lost her mind the end result was terrifying because I didn't even see how bad it was til I came home and took pictures. Before that I looked at the little gown they put on you so you don't get hair on your clothing and I saw all these broken hairs with the white bulbs on it I was beyond heated $30 for this!

On top of that I got home took these craps down and they weren't even braids they were knots! So much hair came out from the root it was saddening. I felt like crying but I knew that I could nurse it back to health eventually. I threw so much stuff on my hair and covered it with my oil mix and threw on a shower cap and that's where I am now. Parts of my scalp are sore probably from where the hair was ripped out I'm not sure if there are any suggestions on what I should put on my hair but so far I just loaded it with mad conditioners and the oil mix. I know it's going to look horrible once let it dry and probably more hair comes out when I rinse this stuff out of my head I just wanted to warn you ladies of this demon spawn from hell stylist.

comike

Wow.....and you paid them. I'm sure your intention was to get cornrows but that's definitely not what you got. I'm sorry for you....I would have been royally pissed.

Last edited:

flowinlocks

OMG! I am so sorry this happened to you:nono: As a cosmetologist myself I can tell you, you need to find out the stylist last name & post a complaint on the state website, go to the website for your state & look under the licensing dept. There should be a link for cosmetologist, dentist, etc when you click on the link it should be a link to see if that stylist has any complaints against her & also to post one. You should not have to paid for that service.

Vonnieluvs08

Wow that is awful. I am so sorry that this happened to you. I know you will be able to nurse your hair back to health. I know someone will be able to chime in and offer some help.

KEWLKAT103

Yep, that's what my cornrows look like and I would never charge somebody
and do that to them.
I'm not sure calling the manager would help now that you took them down.
You do have pictures though, so maybe try and talk to her. You would probably feel better about the whole thing.

Filmatic

Go get a refund. I am so sorry this happened to you. I've had a yt stylist at Aveda Institute braid my hair better than this and it was her first time on a real head.

Wow.

HeavenlySkies

Go get a refund. I am so sorry this happened to you. I've had a yt stylist at Aveda Institute braid my hair better than this and it was her first time on a real head.

Wow.

Thats funny the first thing I did was call the Aveda Institute and ask if they did braids and they said no.​

BrooklynSouth

Sorry, Moustacy about your experience. Not a pretty job but it is not awful..what is awful is the way she abused your hair. I'd definitely go back to complain..a professional should do better work on a simple cornrow.

BrooklynSouth

You can saturate it for hours with Hawaiian Silky or another moisturizing braid spray. I used to hate HS but now find it amazing for moisturizing my relaxed ends but I must do repeated applications sealed with oil.

BeautifulFlower

OMG! I am so sorry....I feel like you need a hug.

We'll at least you learn next time (if that will happen) you will speak up or work out.

I say tell tell tell and take the pictures with you.

HeavenlySkies

I think I'll call the Aveda institute tomorrow and try to get a deep conditioning hopefully they will use the damage remedy thing.

lasmom

Sorry this happened. Did she have a license to do hair? You should definately get your money back and speak with a manager!!! It doesn't look that bad, but she sounded like she abused your hair. Good luck.

Denise11

You should definitely call them and ask for a refund. I braided better than that when I was a kid. And they are supposed to be professionals? Take pics and show them.

BlackPearl1

I'm so sorry this happen to you :bighug:. I think you should talk to the manger, about how horrible the job she did and how she left your scalp very sore. I would also ask for your money back. You might feel a little better knowing you said something after all. I sure you will be able to nurse your hair back to health.

MsChelle

I'm debating on whether or not I should call in and speak to a manager or something.

DEFINITELY!!!! Do not let this kind of "service" go without it being brought to someone's attention. What she did to your hair is horrible. I know you will nurse it back to health. Good luck!!! (and i am not confrontational either but sometimes you have to step outside of your comfort zone and say something to people when you feel they are not doing you right)

HeavenlySkies

Ok so I called yesterday and asked to speak to a manager and she answered the phone and said the manager wasn't in and would be later and asked who she was speaking with. I told her and she asked me if something was wrong I told her the best that I could that it was jacked without saying "If you didn't know how to braid you should have just said so". She asked me if they were too tight smh I'm like no they aren't they weren't even braids they were like knots and shes like well I combed it (yeah I know you combed it that's why my hair was ripped out) anyway she gave me a customer service number I called it they wouldn't refund me but give me a $30 credit to any of their stores like I would go there again. So all wednesday I was doing damage control after and thursday I set up an appointment at the Aveda Institute for a deep conditioning and blow dry. The white girl was on point was very gentle and it felt great after. So I'm going to try to do that probably twice a month. I definitely have to look into the Aveda products but that damage remedy is way too expensive ($84 for 33.8 oz). But yeah thanks to everyone for the support!

Spongie Bloom

that sucks! some people really do have some nerve charging you for that?? My cornrows looks better than that when im doing a braidout on myself BUT im still nervous bout braiding other people. Go get a refund girl its totally unacceptable!