Abstinence vs. Marriage

janiebaby

I had a conversation with someone from the church this weekend and this person teaches an abstinence class. I think that marriage should be promoted even more than abstinence. It seems like in today's culture we put bandaids on broken bones instead of treating the root of the problem.

The person went on to say that people aren't trying to hear about marriage. Well if that's the case, I think they are way less likely to wanna hear anything about abstinence.

I think that we just don't want to scare people off when talking about marriage especially when in today's society it happens later or not at all and during all of that time the person will have to be abstinent. So here we go putting bandaids on things again, we choose to teach about abstinence because marriage is less likely.

Well, if our culture promoted marriage the way other cultures do (even going so far as to set up their children with each other for when they become of age) we wouldn't have half the problems that we have now. Oh well, I'll just continue to watch how things unfold with the abstinence message which has turned into "I will not have regular sex, just oral sex, masturbation, mutual masturbation, etc."

ETA: Changed "pushed" to promoted...

Last edited:

gone_fishing

Abstinence is hard. :nono: Especially if you aren't a virgin :grin:. We messed up a few times last year and we've had a difficult road to travel trying to keep our hands off of each other and waiting till we get married in March. :wallbash:

God forgive me for my stupidity. :nono:

To me, churches do need to teach marriage - BUT they need to not teach that sex is the reason you get married.

I don't really know how they are to do it but I guess you can only teach them to pray for guidance on who their life partner should be.

I keep saying on this site over and over that I believe the reason it is so difficult to wait for christians today is because we wait so long to seal the deal.

I don't think they had engagements that lasted YEARS back in the bible days. :nono:

Now we find it normal to date for 2 years and have a year engagement and then we tell folks they have gone to fast if they've gotten married before that.

It sure makes it hard to abstain when you gotta wait 3 years to marry a person. :nono:

janiebaby

Abstinence is hard. :nono: Especially if you aren't a virgin :grin:. We messed up a few times last year and we've had a difficult road to travel trying to keep our hands off of each other and waiting till we get married in March. :wallbash:

God forgive me for my stupidity. :nono:

To me, churches do need to teach marriage - BUT they need to not teach that sex is the reason you get married.

I don't really know how they are to do it but I guess you can only teach them to pray for guidance on who their life partner should be.

I keep saying on this site over and over that I believe the reason it is so difficult to wait for christians today is because we wait so long to seal the deal.

I don't think they had engagements that lasted YEARS back in the bible days. :nono:

Now we find it normal to date for 2 years and have a year engagement and then we tell folks they have gone to fast if they've gotten married before that.

It sure makes it hard to abstain when you gotta wait 3 years to marry a person. :nono:

Ad, this time I have to agree with everything you said and I mean everything. (Never thought I'd write that but glad I did:yep:)

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
If you are marrying for sex it won't last. Sex is a part of marriage and can make/break a marriage but to marry to get the legal permit will only get you in hot water.

I suspect many of the younger people in my church marry for this reason. And once they get over the thrill of (I could be wrong) sex, it seems to go all downhill from there. Sex is a temporary exhilirating feeling. Love is forever and will last through thick and thin.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
If you are marrying for sex it won't last. Sex is a part of marriage and can make/break a marriage but to marry to get the legal permit will only get you in hot water.

I suspect many of the younger people in my church marry for this reason. And once they get over the thrill of (I could be wrong) sex, it seems to go all downhill from there. Sex is a temporary exhilirating feeling. Love is forever and will last through thick and thin.
This is so true Pretty Haitian. Many do marry for the 'sex permit' and too often it bears a date of expiration.

I actually agree with both you and Janiebaby. Both of you are presenting BOTH sides of this important issue.

Marriage should be promoted for that's what the Bible promotes more than abstinence. It wasn't until the apostle Paul shared about marriage and the command to those unmarried, that abstinence became more of an issue. It was always an issue, but marriage was more of the way of life.

I sure hope I'm making sense. I'm multi-tasking at my desk.

Love and blessings to each of you here....this is an excellent thread topic and the views are wonderful from each of you. :yep:

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
This is so true Pretty Haitian. Many do marry for the 'sex permit' and too often it bears a date of expiration.

I actually agree with both you and Janiebaby. Both of you are presenting BOTH sides of this important issue.

Marriage should be promoted for that's what the Bible promotes more than abstinence. It wasn't until the apostle Paul shared about marriage and the command to those unmarried, that abstinence became more of an issue. It was always an issue, but marriage was more of the way of life.

Love and blessings to each of you here....this is an excellent thread topic and the views are wonderful from each of you. :yep:

Thank you. Nice seeing you Shimmie, ((( HUGS ))).

janiebaby

I agree that marriage should not be the means to have sex but I do think that it should be sought out, encouraged more and I would also like to add that we should be prepared for it before engagement. Marriage benefits the entire community, it gives children a firm foundation in a two parent household, men gain a helpmate and women gain security (for lack of a better word)

Ruth 1:9 May the Lord bless you with the security of another marriage.” Then she kissed them good-bye, and they all broke down and wept. NLV

Ruth 1:9 The LORD grant you that ye may find rest, each of you in the house of her husband. Then she kissed them; and they lifted up their voice, and wept. KJV

In case you're wondering where I got security from....marriage also provides financial stability as well as emotional stability. Now is it the be all end all? No, without God leading any of our relationships they will all be subject to failure.

janiebaby

Thanks Shimmie. I'm digging the curls:grin:

Southernbella.

I think this is a great thread!

Adequate, I feel your pain, and I agree with you that engagements now are so long that it's hard for couples to abstain. It's ESPECIALLY hard when you know already you're promised to each other. You'd think it would be easier, but no.:nono:

I'm not sure of a solution to this. On the one hand, if churches start pushing marriages more, you are going to have people who don't listen to God and marry the first person they think is suitable, then blame the church when it goes wrong.

On the other hand, pushing abstinence on people who aren't sure when/if they are going to get married is a prescription for frustration. Obviously, abstinence is what God commanded, but I think teaching it these days requires teaching practical applications, not just giving scriptures and praying.

It's a tough spot we've put ourselves in these days, that's for sure.:yep:

PaperClip

Nothing is won by PUSHING anything on anybody. This isn't a "versus" subject. The greater call is to GUIDE people to Christ and to allow the Word of God to lead, direct, and persuade people to act/behave.

Like I believe Lauren said, PUSHING marriage (mainly to keep folk from fornicating) has probably resulted in some marriages that should have never taken place.

Jesus said "if you love Me, you will keep my commandments". Of course, this does not mean that we are perfect or if we do slip and fall that we are condemned forever. What it means is that we do our best to keep ourselves from getting into situations that will cause us to sin.

The Bible says that marriage is good. People would be encouraged to marry when they see the people who are "pushing" marriage are LIVING WORTHY, SOUND, HEALTHY MARITAL LIVES... FOR REAL...NOT FOR SHOW....

janiebaby

Nothing is won by PUSHING anything on anybody. This isn't a "versus" subject. The greater call is to GUIDE people to Christ and to allow the Word of God to lead, direct, and persuade people to act/behave.

Like I believe Lauren said, PUSHING marriage (mainly to keep folk from fornicating) has probably resulted in some marriages that should have never taken place.

Jesus said "if you love Me, you will keep my commandments". Of course, this does not mean that we are perfect or if we do slip and fall that we are condemned forever. What it means is that we do our best to keep ourselves from getting into situations that will cause us to sin.

The Bible says that marriage is good. People would be encouraged to marry when they see the people who are "pushing" marriage are LIVING WORTHY, SOUND, HEALTHY MARITAL LIVES... FOR REAL...NOT FOR SHOW....

RR, I agree with everything you wrote especially the bolded but like you said we are not perfect and our marriages will not be perfect. I would like to say more but I will do it in response to Lauren's post. Thank you for keeping things on track. I don't think that pushing anything on anyone is right but I do think that people should be taught more and preached to less.

PaperClip

[/b]

RR, I agree with everything you wrote especially the bolded but like you said we are not perfect and our marriages will not be perfect. I would like to say more but I will do it in response to Lauren's post. Thank you for keeping things on track. I don't think that pushing anything on anyone is right but I do think that people should be taught more and preached to less.

Cool, JB.... quick clarification for me on this thing about "teaching" and "being taught": I think teaching can be (at times) more effective through MODELING APPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR. The Word is very pure (as the Bible says) and the Word stands forever....but we also "teach" the word through our conduct.

janiebaby

I think this is a great thread!

Adequate, I feel your pain, and I agree with you that engagements now are so long that it's hard for couples to abstain. It's ESPECIALLY hard when you know already you're promised to each other. You'd think it would be easier, but no.:nono:

I'm not sure of a solution to this. On the one hand, if churches start pushing marriages more, you are going to have people who don't listen to God and marry the first person they think is suitable, then blame the church when it goes wrong.

On the other hand, pushing abstinence on people who aren't sure when/if they are going to get married is a prescription for frustration. Obviously, abstinence is what God commanded, but I think teaching it these days requires teaching practical applications, not just giving scriptures and praying.

It's a tough spot we've put ourselves in these days, that's for sure.:yep:

Hey Lauren:wavey: I don't think that if churches promoted marriage more than or as much as abstnience that it would push people to marry for sex. In response to the bolded, as it stands now without the promotion of marriage, half of our culture's marriages are failing anyway and if it is because of sex then it has little to do with the promotion of marriage in place of abstinence.

I think that people get married for many reasons and sex may be one out of a laundry list of reasons. I'm sure many of you have seen or have wrote out this laundry list and I don't think that sex is the highest one up there. Now I do think that sex may cause some people to view their relationship through rose colored glasses but with having sex before marriage or waiting until you are married, sex will still be a factor because we're human.

I agree with RR in the regards that it doesn't need to be a "versus" thing but I'm not so sure that they can be mentioned seperately either. Therefore, it becomes an issue of what needs to be promoted more or just as much. I don't think that the church should stop teaching abstinence. I just tend to view it as a last ditch effort because people don't want to hear about marriage.

janiebaby

Cool, JB.... quick clarification for me on this thing about "teaching" and "being taught": I think teaching can be (at times) more effective through MODELING APPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR. The Word is very pure (as the Bible says) and the Word stands forever....but we also "teach" the word through our conduct.

You're right, there has to be an agreement between what someone is teaching and how the teacher is living. I think that in our culture, it is very hard to see what is happening behind closed doors. I can think someone is living a great life but who knows what is going on at home. Now if I see what's going on at home, I may be inclined to ask "Well how'd you do that?" There does have to be a marriage between what is being taught and our conduct.

I think that for this topic people need to be taught and shown how to endure the hardships of marriage. Marriage isn't a remedy for loneliness, depression, or sexual angst. Marriage is to promote God's kingdom.

Southernbella.

Hey Lauren:wavey: I don't think that if churches promoted marriage more than or as much as abstnience that it would push people to marry for sex. In response to the bolded, as it stands now without the promotion of marriage, half of our culture's marriages are failing anyway and if it is because of sex then it has little to do with the promotion of marriage in place of abstinence.

I think that people get married for many reasons and sex may be one out of a laundry list of reasons. I'm sure many of you have seen or have wrote out this laundry list and I don't think that sex is the highest one up there. Now I do think that sex may cause some people to view their relationship through rose colored glasses but with having sex before marriage or waiting until you are married, sex will still be a factor because we're human.

I agree with RR in the regards that it doesn't need to be a "versus" thing but I'm not so sure that they can be mentioned seperately either. Therefore, it becomes an issue of what needs to be promoted more or just as much. I don't think that the church should stop teaching abstinence. I just tend to view it as a last ditch effort because people don't want to hear about marriage.

Oh, I wasn't saying that people would marry just for sex, I just meant that if churches started to push marriage, people might be more apt to jump into it just because it's the thing to do (you know how we can be when it comes to seems to be the new, great thing pastor said), and then when they make wrong choices, they would be blaming the church for it.

I agree with you that culturally, marriage should be a normal part of our lives, but I'm just not sure it should be on the church to make those changes. We have to look at the media, and our own cultural expectations.

If you asked most black folks if sex outside of marriage is wrong in God's eyes, the answer would be yes, of course. If you asked them if it's better to marry than to fornicate, they would say it's better to marry. We know what's right and what's wrong, but our choices say otherwise. We have to find out where the disconnect is happening, but I honestly don't think it's happening in the church. I know I take umbrage with a few of the things that are taught, but that's not really one of them.

I guess where I disagree with you is about teaching marriage in place of abstinence. I think abstinence is good, as long as you are teaching practical applications of it. I know where the fornication scriptures are, and I know how to pray, but you can't really pray for God to take your desires away. What is helpful is to know how to behave in a courtship...to have accountability during the courting period...what to do if you feel a slip coming on...things like that.

Also, I think it would be helpful if we had a better perspective on dating and the purpose for it. Many people fall into the trap because they are dating for fun and companionship, rather than for figuring out if someone is a potential husband or wife.

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding your OP. I know this post was all over the place, so thanks for bearing with me.:grin:

alexstin

Oh, I wasn't saying that people would marry just for sex, I just meant that if churches started to push marriage, people might be more apt to jump into it just because it's the thing to do (you know how we can be when it comes to seems to be the new, great thing pastor said), and then when they make wrong choices, they would be blaming the church for it.

I agree with you that culturally, marriage should be a normal part of our lives, but I'm just not sure it should be on the church to make those changes. We have to look at the media, and our own cultural expectations.

If you asked most black folks if sex outside of marriage is wrong in God's eyes, the answer would be yes, of course. If you asked them if it's better to marry than to fornicate, they would say it's better to marry. We know what's right and what's wrong, but our choices say otherwise. We have to find out where the disconnect is happening, but I honestly don't think it's happening in the church. I know I take umbrage with a few of the things that are taught, but that's not really one of them.

I guess where I disagree with you is about teaching marriage in place of abstinence. I think abstinence is good, as long as you are teaching practical applications of it. I know where the fornication scriptures are, and I know how to pray, but you can't really pray for God to take your desires away. What is helpful is to know how to behave in a courtship...to have accountability during the courting period...what to do if you feel a slip coming on...things like that.
Also, I think it would be helpful if we had a better perspective on dating and the purpose for it. Many people fall into the trap because they are dating for fun and companionship, rather than for figuring out if someone is a potential husband or wife.

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding your OP. I know this post was all over the place, so thanks for bearing with me.:grin:

I agree with this. Also, everyone is not going to get married so they need to know practically how to stand against temptation in this area.

My former church encouraged short engagements. Many people married after about 3-4 months of being engaged.

janiebaby

I think we agree with each other in the fact that people should be taught practical applications for being obedient in today's culture. However, I think that the miscommunication is that I'm not saying that the abstinence message should be replaced with a marriage message. I apologize if my OP came off that way.

Ms Lala

People also get married at older ages now which I think also makes it hard. My mother got married at 1u whereas I have friends who are getting married for the first time and they are over 30.

janiebaby

I agree with this. Also, everyone is not going to get married so they need to know practically how to stand against temptation in this area.

My former church encouraged short engagements. Many people married after about 3-4 months of being engaged.

Wow, that's great!

Bunny77

Janie, I completely get what you're saying.

As my girl Debbie Maken mentioned, abstinence teaching is great, but what's the point of encouraging waiting until marriage if we then don't encourage marriage? You get people who start thinking, "If I'm not going to get married until I'm 40 or if I'm not 'willed' to get married at all, what's the point of waiting?"

It almost defeats the purpose of teaching abstinence, really... because abstinence isn't supposed to be practiced for the sake of just not having sex, it's supposed to be practiced so that husbands can cleave to wives and vice-versa.

I think churches MUST encourage marriage. I agree there's a disconnect... there is talk about preparing for marriage and then being married and having a healthy marriage, but there's not enough assistance in bringing single folks together so they can get married!

P.S. Janie, I need to get on what you PMed me about a while ago... Jan.-March is the busiest time of the year for me in terms of work!

Farida

I've been in a long-term relationship and it is disheartening that several people are telling us to wait, "you guys are just having fun." Basically, they want us to achieve soooo many things before we even consider marriage. Some even said get married when you get pregnant:nono:.

Abstinence is hard and I am so glad I wasn't allowed to date until I was in college. IMO you should not date unless you can feasibly get married soon if you plan to be chaste.

alexstin

I've been in a long-term relationship and it is disheartening that several people are telling us to wait, "you guys are just having fun." Basically, they want us to achieve soooo many things before we even consider marriage. Some even said get married when you get pregnant:nono:.

Abstinence is hard and I am so glad I wasn't allowed to date until I was in college. IMO you should not date unless you can feasibly get married soon if you plan to be chaste.

I agree with this!!!:yep:

Glib Gurl

But back in the day (and not just Bible days . . . I mean like 30-40 years ago) when people had short engagements, often times they got married to quickly to the wrong person to get that "pass" . . .

I don't know. (Well, actually I do know, but my feeling is more of the "I don't know" flavor *sigh*) As a single person who doesn't see marriage in sight for a looooong time, I'm feeling frustrated and unhappy . . . not with God, just with the situation in general . . . .

janiebaby

Janie, I completely get what you're saying.

As my girl Debbie Maken mentioned, abstinence teaching is great, but what's the point of encouraging waiting until marriage if we then don't encourage marriage? You get people who start thinking, "If I'm not going to get married until I'm 40 or if I'm not 'willed' to get married at all, what's the point of waiting?"

It almost defeats the purpose of teaching abstinence, really... because abstinence isn't supposed to be practiced for the sake of just not having sex, it's supposed to be practiced so that husbands can cleave to wives and vice-versa.

I think churches MUST encourage marriage. I agree there's a disconnect... there is talk about preparing for marriage and then being married and having a healthy marriage, but there's not enough assistance in bringing single folks together so they can get married!

P.S. Janie, I need to get on what you PMed me about a while ago... Jan.-March is the busiest time of the year for me in terms of work!

You always take the words out of my mouth!!! In my experience, I feel that in church I either get talked to about how "everyone won't get married" or I hear things that only pertain to married folks. Of course there's a singles ministry which is full of women:rolleyes: although in my church we just have an Adults Ministry and it is pretty mixed thankfully.

I just don't see too many people bringing singles together in an informal setting like people used to do. I hope I'm not offending anyone by bringing up a Jewish article in the Christianity forum but they are our cousins:yep: ...

I've read alot of good articles on a Jewish website about marriage and one article was talking about when the author held a dinner he would sit singles who he thought may make a good match at the same table and I also saw an article from a married Jewish woman that spoke about how in most years of her marriage (wasn't sure if she was widowed now) she never gave a thought to single people but now she tries to bring singles together and she also encourages other married couples to do the same.

Now, do some people still do this sure (maybe)? I know sometimes a guy will do this when their friend doesn't want to be a third wheel. I think that instead of being leery of single people, people should think about ways to get them together. I mean telling people to stay abstinent for the rest of their lives (can be up to 90 years these days) can be disheartening for some and can you blame them?

janiebaby

But back in the day (and not just Bible days . . . I mean like 30-40 years ago) when people had short engagements, often times they got married to quickly to the wrong person to get that "pass" . . .

I don't know. (Well, actually I do know, but my feeling is more of the "I don't know" flavor *sigh*) As a single person who doesn't see marriage in sight for a looooong time, I'm feeling frustrated and unhappy . . . not with God, just with the situation in general . . . .

Glib, you know what I keep noticing about different cultures and myself and my culture? We all expect different things...When I see other cultures I look at some of them like "are you happy doing what you do?" and you know what? It's a way of life they're expectations are different. They don't expect as much from a relationship that we do. It's our expectations that make us disappointed. Well at least in my case...

janiebaby

Yes, I remember speaking about this in a thread before. I wouldn't advise anyone to wait unless they were under 18 or getting married for far out reasons. Back in the day children would be prepared for marriage at early ages, even shown how to please their husbands. Granted they got married earlier too but why do you think that is? All the thinking in the world ain't gonna stop sex hormones!!! Now your actions may be stopped by thinking but, um, people back then thought it was a surer bet to get you married quick.:look:

I think that at least in our culture we should start teaching children how to be adults in this world instead of telling them to extend their childhood.:look:

Glib Gurl

Glib, you know what I keep noticing about different cultures and myself and my culture? We all expect different things...When I see other cultures I look at some of them like "are you happy doing what you do?" and you know what? It's a way of life they're expectations are different. They don't expect as much from a relationship that we do. It's our expectations that make us disappointed. Well at least in my case...

That is a great point!

Ms Red

This is a great, thought-provoking thread.

I agree with the previous poster who stated that part of the issue is the fact that many of us are waiting to marry at such late ages (30s and beyond) whereas our parents and/or previous generations married much younger (18-20s)...

There is a definite disconnect and I am frustrated as well at times.

Farida

I have read several articles that talk about how our way of life today is really wreaking havoc on our principles. Now, I'm not saying that it is impossible to remain chaste...I know several 40-year-old virgin MEN, and they are not by any means weirdos or un marriable-types.

The thing is though I have noticed, especially among minorities, that the parents (who have the best intentions) encourage their kids to work for years and go to school for years and that marriage is just a distraction from all this. Which has some truth to it, but sometimes you have to weigh the benefits of each scenario.

For example, I often wondered why Latinas (not all of course) get pregnant so young even though they are often Catholic and their culture is conservative. I got to spend some time in Mexico city and I noticed that the kids there were allowed to date from a very early age, the billboards, magazines and TV shows were very racy. I'm talking you see naked butts on giant billboards and on magazine covers everywhere. However, nobody talked about sex or marriage. Just work hard, have fun and then they would only push marriage when pregnancy happened. Maybe I'm over-simplifying the issue but that is what I saw. I believe more kids would do it right if they were encouraged to marry when they had their heads on straight, rather than using material possessions as markers.

I have several married friends and they are mostly young, white Christians. They dated for like a year and went home, talked to their parents and got married. The parents were very supportive. Whereas myself, when I thought of marriage, I knew I'd be eaten alive if I suggested it despite being in a relationship for 4 years. However, my family was surprisingly supportive, but FH's weren't. They said we should continue to date or another 10-16 years! Marriage is tertiary, not a blessing but a distraction.