Achieving The Hydration Of Wash Day

blazingbeauty

... without actually washing your hair.

This was just inspired by @faithVA ’s thread.

Do you think steaming your hair (with a handheld steamer and what not) before you apply your moisturizers midweek/at the end of the week can achieve nearly the same levels of hydration that just going ahead and washing your hair? My m&s routine is fine as is - but I’m curious y’all’s thoughts.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
The only way this works for me is when I go full curly girl method. When I use even 1 silicone— even soluble ones, or those -xanes1— the coated feeling on my hair won’t let it be great.
Heavy butters make just steaming/resetting dicey too.
If it’s all natural stuff, water tends to reactivate whatever is in there...

blazingbeauty

The only way this works for me is when I go full curly girl method. When I use even 1 silicone— even soluble ones, or those -xanes1— the coated feeling on my hair won’t let it be great.
Heavy butters make just steaming/resetting dicey too.
If it’s all natural stuff, water tends to reactivate whatever is in there...

This is good to know. I know for a fact grease wouldn’t let me do this. I’m finding shea butter allows me to remoisturize better. Hmm, some of my products have silicones in them (my detangler for sure). I just got the fabric steamer and will test it for a few weeks.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
IME, the butters and silicones make my hair feel nice just while it’s damp or on the verge of being dry— a few hours later, it’s Crispy City, whereas I can use aloe vera based LIs or moisturizers and then reseal it all in with a light oil or natural gel (jojoba oil, flaxseed gel etc)— and my hair is truly reset for a few more days, sometimes a whole extra week.
This is good to know. I know for a fact grease wouldn’t let me do this. I’m finding shea butter allows me to remoisturize better. Hmm, some of my products have silicones in them (my detangler for sure). I just got the fabric steamer and will test it for a few weeks.

blazingbeauty

@divachyk you right. Steamed before applying my moisturizers; it wasn’t life changing by any means it makes my hair limp. My moisturizing routine was good as is. I’m keeping the steamer for my clothes and to refresh certain styles, but that’s it.

*Sigh* I think at this point there’s nothing “new” for me to try. I’m just gonna have to stick to what works and be patient.

Last edited:

blazingbeauty

Reposted from other thread

One actually helpful tip I got recently from a YouTuber - give new products/techniques time before making up your mind. I usually follow this, but spoke to soon about steaming to rehydrate my hair at the end of the week.

My first impression of steaming was nothing to write home about, but after trying steam + LCB again last weekend to remoisturize, I’m noticing my hair is very soft and defined even after a week of just spritzing with water a few times.

Once my marley twists get old, I’ll keep this up. I only do this twice a month (as that’s how often I fully re-moisturize in between wash days), but I’m just going to keep an eye out for any damage.

Misseyl

My hair is 4C and what I find helpful is when I apply my leave-in (SheaMoisture leave-in for low porosity hair) then sit under my Hot Head deep conditioning heating cap, my hair comes out soft. I then follow-up by sealing with Jojoba oil then install my bantu knots. I find it leaves my hair easy to handle with less tangles.:afro: