ACV Rinse - Before or After Conditioner?

thesweetone

Last night I did my first ACV rinse. I read a bunch of threads because I was trying to find out where to incorporate it and it seems that people do different things. Some use as a clarifier and therefore before conditioner. I guess because clarifying improves the results of conditioners. Some use as a strengthener/detangler and therefore after conditioner. I read that an ACV rinse will close the cuticles and smooth the hair down and that's why it's a good detangler. If it closes the cuticle, is it a good idea to use it before conditioning? I'm assuming it might prevent the conditioner from penetrating fully if the cuticles are closed.

I'm trying to determine if I should do this before or after my conditioner?

1. Can you ladies please let me know how you incorporate ACV rinses in your regimen if you use them, i.e. before conditioner/after conditioner, use ACV by itself/no conditioner, etc.? Also, please provide your recipe.

2. Why do you use it the way you described in number one and what have been your results?

atlien11

I have gone in the archives (dont sleep on the archives, they are the best!!) and it seems like people are doing both. I have tried both methods but my ACV ratios must be off because i have never seen a huge difference. From a logic standpoint it would seem like you would use ACV as a final rinse because it causes your cuticles to close up trapping in moisture and conditioner. Then again, ive read about people swearing by it before after their shampoo but before their conditoner, so i am confused too :confused:

sareca

I've always done mine last. I think I'm going to try adding a little ACV to my conditioner. When I was testing my water for hardness I found out it's very alkaline. :eek: A little ACV in my favorite conditioner should fix it right up.

thesweetone

Thanks for your responses ladies! I did the ACV rinse last after my conditioner. I used a 16.9 ounce bottle of drinking water and I added a capful of ACV to it. Then I poured it over my head (conditioner still in) and rinsed everything out with cool water. Does this sound okay? Are you supposed to rinse it out? Should I have rinsed the conditioner out first, then follow with the ACV rinse? So confused abou the ACV!

Allandra

When I did acv rinses, I did mine after shampooing because I wanted to get the full effect of my conditioner.

shampoo, acv rinse, conditioner

This worked for me and my hair.

MizaniMami

Can't tell you the scientific reasons why but last week I tried doing my BEFORE i deep conditioned. I loved it. I will never do without now.

But this week I forgot to do it, I even forgot to prepoo.:cool: I suck.

atlien11

So basically there is no consensus :ohwell: I guess its what works on your own hair. I was using it to treat my scalp....

Armyqt

Allandra said:
When I did acv rinses, I did mine after shampooing because I wanted to get the full effect of my conditioner.

This is what I do as well.

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
I do the ACV thing as my final rinse. I use 2 tablespoons of ACV mixed in 1 cup of water and I get some nice slipage! :yep:

AtlantaJJ

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it all ways, once before a shampoo...see what you get; once after shampoo before conditioner and see how that does, and then last but maybe not least as a final rinse. It couldn't hurt and it can give you a direct comparison.

Then you can post back and let us know what you like best!

I can see the benefits of doing it all ways, perhaps if you have build up before a poo would be good. If you just want super shinny hair for a roller set, perhaps a last rinse would be good. If you need extra umph from your conditioner, a rinse right before may be what the doctor ordered.

I don't know, I make stuff up! LOL :look:

That's what I'm going to try :lol:

NessaNessa

AtlantaJJ said:
I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it all ways, once before a shampoo...see what you get; once after shampoo before conditioner and see how that does, and then last but maybe not least as a final rinse. It couldn't hurt and it can give you a direct comparison.

Then you can post back and let us know what you like best!

I can see the benefits of doing it all ways, perhaps if you have build up before a poo would be good. If you just want super shinny hair for a roller set, perhaps a last rinse would be good. If you need extra umph from your conditioner, a rinse right before may be what the doctor ordered.

I don't know, I make stuff up! LOL :look:

That's what I'm going to try :lol:
Thats funny, but I get your point. I think I will try one of these in the near future and record my results after each attempt.

thesweetone

Thanks for all your responses Ladies! AtlantaJJ, I will try your suggestion and do the rinse at different stages of my wash and see what I like best. I liked it as a final rinse, so now I need to try it before my shampoo, and then afer my shampoo but before my conditioner.

Isis

MizaniMami said:
Can't tell you the scientific reasons why but last week I tried doing my BEFORE i deep conditioned. I loved it. I will never do without now.

But this week I forgot to do it, I even forgot to prepoo.:cool: I suck.
So after pouring the ACV rinse through the hair, are you rinsing it out again before adding conditioner or just adding conditioner on top of it?

mkstar826

supersonic
leleepop said:
I use it before my condish and it works as a GREAT detangler this way.:D

ITA. i finally did it this way (i had been using it as a final rinse). but i shampooed and then poured my ACV through my hair and then added my deep conditioner right on top of it. i combed the conditioner through after leaving it on about an hour under a plastic cap and it was SO easy to detangle. i'm definitely doing it before conditioning now. :yep:

P

patient1

Shampoo, acv rinse, (water rinse sometimes), deep condition.

I've never thought to do it any other way. After the acv rinse you've got a clean palette. Either water rinse and go or slap on some condish. lol!!

p1

seemegrow

mkstar826 said:
ITA. i finally did it this way (i had been using it as a final rinse). but i shampooed and then poured my ACV through my hair and then added my deep conditioner right on top of it. i combed the conditioner through after leaving it on about an hour under a plastic cap and it was SO easy to detangle. i'm definitely doing it before conditioning now. :yep:

I use it this way as well:)

babyblue

Allandra said:

this is how i've always done it as well

thesweetone

I've been doing it after my herbal hair wash (what I use instead of shampoo) pouring it into my hair (I wash in two sections) squeezing out the excess then applying my conditioner. This seems to be working well. I find that I'be been loosing less hair during my comb outs and my hair is always clean even though I don't use shampoo.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!!! UP NEXT, MY FIRST HENNA TREATMENT ON SUNDAY 10/29!!!!!