Adding Protein to relaxers...courtesy of http://hair.lovetoknow.com

ryanshope

One Good Solution: Adding Protein to Hair Relaxer

Don’t be afraid to try out hair relaxer to get the look you want. All it takes is a little savvy and some know-how and you’re on your way to a new you. Adding protein can take a normally volatile hair product and allow it to work better for you.
[edit]
Why Use Protein with a Relaxer?

Relaxers are chemical solutions that break the natural protein bonds of the hair. Adding protein can assist in keeping hair smooth and healthy by restoring some strength and elasticity to the hair, however, it is not possible to restore the hair bonds that are broken down during the relaxing process. Also be aware of whether it is a protein treatment or a protein oil. Protein oils will add shine, but may not have the same benefits as the protein concentrate.
[edit]
Forms of Protein

Protein added to hair relaxer comes in a concentrated form. Wheat protein is used in many hair products; this is a milder form of protein. Animal proteins or hydrolyzed human hair protein are stronger forms of protein. The protein in hair concentrated additives and other hair products works by "sealing" the hair shaft. This results in healthier-looking hair.
[edit]
Finding Protein to Add

The first step is to find a good protein additive for your relaxer. Some kits come with protein some don’t. If you need a protein additive StyleOne Hair Systems has a good one to try. Pure and Powerful Hair Protein is also nice because it’s versatile. You can add it to any chemical hair product to increase moisture and softness. You simply add one capful of Pure and Powerful to any relaxer solution. This protein works with any brand of hair relaxer. There are also other brands available; read their ingredients and instructions carefully to choose the best one for you.
[edit]
Other Great Solutions

Adding protein to hair relaxer or using relaxers containing protein can help in maintaining healthy hair, but other considerations are necessary.

Use these tips to keep your hair healthy when using a home relaxer kit:

1. Read all the kit directions before you start.
2. Always do a hair strand test before relaxing your whole head.
3. Never use a relaxer on bleached or newly colored hair.
4. Apply a thick layer of petroleum jelly to protect skin and scalp from burns.
5. Don’t use hot combs for one week before or after relaxing.
6. Always rinse the product out well, according to the directions.

Do all this and you can have a healthier hair relaxing experience at home!

Brownie518

:yep:This is the article I read before adding protein to my relaxer. The results were excellent. I used Neutral Protein Filler from Sally's. My hair came out smooth, straight, and silky. I will definitely be doing this again.

wheezy807

So if add the protein to the relaxer, then you can skip the adding reconstructor after rnsing out the relaxer/or neutralizing step?

Is it possible to just add the protein directly to your hair instead of putting it in the relaxer and still get the same results?

betty-boo

This is really interesting. Anyone know whether the protein slows down the relaxer, so that you have to relax for longer?

sereia

Is it possible to just add the protein directly to your hair instead of putting it in the relaxer and still get the same results?

There is a thread about using silk protein/CHI Silk infusion before applying the relaxer. A lot of ladies had good results.
HTH

sareca

:yep: Yes, I use Phyto and yes I add more protein. Lately my hair has been complaining that once/wk (my usual protein schedule) is too much. I'm doing once every 3 weeks now. Apparently adding the protein did what it was supposed to do. It made my hair stronger--more resistant to breakage and less reliant on protein treatments. :yep: I also add oil to my relaxer to help it retain moisture better.

This is my second year adding keratin to my relaxer and I have no intention of relaxing any other way. :nono:

I at the end of last year, I cut off a lot of the hair I had before I started adding protein. It was noticably weaker and frizzier.

Last edited:

nomadpixi

:yep: Yes, I use Phyto and yes I add more protein. Lately my hair has been complaining that once/wk (my usual protein schedule) is too much. I'm doing once every 3 weeks now. Apparently adding the protein did what it was supposed to do. It made my hair stronger--more resistant to breakage and less reliant on protein treatments. :yep: I also add oil to my relaxer to help it retain moisture better.

This is my second year adding keratin to my relaxer and I have no intention of relaxing any other way. :nono:

I at the end of last year, I cut off a lot of the hair I had before I started adding protein. It was noticably weaker and frizzier.

Hi Sereca, you are my hair idol and I really enjoy attempting your experiments. What ratio of keratin to relaxer are you using?

tnorenberg

Sareca...I remember the thread you started a good while ago when you started using Style One. I may have to invest in that to add to my relaxer.

VirtuousGal

Bumping for ratio of protein to relaxer. Also, do you guys just poor it over the relaxer and stir, or stir while you add? Tryna create a really clear visual here.

Puddles

On Cloud 9
I did a touch up yesterday with Elasta QP Mild no-lye. I added a dropper full of Elasta QP Protein supplement and mixed it all in. I also added a half of cap full of Safflower oil.
My hair came out so soft and silky. Hubby loved it.
I highly recommend adding protein.

morehairplease

thanks for sharing this ladies! When I get my relaxer later this year, I plan on adding a capful of styleone protein and an oil blend to the relaxer before application.

morehairplease

Bumping for ratio of protein to relaxer. Also, do you guys just poor it over the relaxer and stir, or stir while you add? Tryna create a really clear visual here.

hi there,

In the article, it says:
[FONT=&quot]"You simply add one capful of Pure and Powerful to any relaxer solution. This protein works with any brand of hair relaxer."

hths
[/FONT]

karezone

I know the article said one cap full, but to how much relaxer. I have about 2.5 lbs of relaxer left in my bucket and I want to go ahead and do all of it. Or should I wait and do it at the time that I relax.

HoneyDew

I use this.

The last time, I put too much and my relaxer underprocessed me. I just poured what was left in the bottle which was about 3 capfuls.

So be care this does not happen.

Also, I think it is cheaper to use collegan. You can get that at Snow Drift Farms.

sunshinebeautiful

I use this.

The last time, I put too much and my relaxer underprocessed me. I just poured what was left in the bottle which was about 3 capfuls.

So be care this does not happen.

Also, I think it is cheaper to use collegan. You can get that at Snow Drift Farms.

What kind of collagen? Animal or marine? Does it matter?