Advice Needed - Planning to flat iron

Natural-K

...for the first time since joining LHCF in April.

Hi everybody, I haven't properly introduced myself yet, I'm Natural-K. My last relaxer was in Oct 2000 so I've been natural for a while but had a major step back that required a major cut last year. From reading this board and comments on my fotki I believe the set back was the result of heat damage from a stylist back in '04 so now that I know, needless to say a little nervous about using heat.

Previously when I flat ironed (approx 4-6 times a year) I shampoo'ed, conditioned, blow dried with a comb attachment on high, and flat ironed with my chi (using biosilk applied before blow dry) or marcel flat iron (using dudley's cream press applied before blow dry).

So I'm planning to flat iron my hair this week . I purchased Sabino Moisture Block so I plan to shampoo with CON, deep condition with Pantene R&N DC Mask and use SMB but I'm undecided about what techniques I should use.

1. Since I believe the damage was done by a stylist and not when I straightened my hair, would it be safe to go ahead and blow dry with the comb attachment (med heat) and flat iron with the chi.

2. Blow dry without an attachment just holding the hair and directing the heat on it and then flat iron.

3. Rollerset with my new Pibbs 514 and then flat iron.

4. Air dry and then flat iron.

And with these techniques, at what stage/s do I apply the SMB?

What do you guys think? I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!!

clever

Rollerset or twist and then sit under the pibbs until its dry.Add the SMB section by section before passing the flat iron through it.

ETA:Are you using a leave in?

Natural-K

Thanks for the prompt response.

I wasn't planning to. At least I haven't in the past because I remember using infusium 23 leave-in before I blow dried and I didn't like how it turned out with it.

I can add that step if its recommended. I use ABBA Leave-in on my natural hair daily. What leave-in do you suggest?

Allandra

1. Since I believe the damage was done by a stylist and not when I straightened my hair, would it be safe to go ahead and blow dry with the comb attachment (med heat) and flat iron with the chi.

2. Blow dry without an attachment just holding the hair and directing the heat on it and then flat iron.

3. Rollerset with my new Pibbs 514 and then flat iron.

4. Air dry and then flat iron.

And with these techniques, at what stage/s do I apply the SMB?

What do you guys think? I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!!

I can't tell you what stage to apply the SMB since I don't use this product, but for me, I would do number 3 (because dryer heat is better than blow dryer heat - and I love my Pibbs 514) or either number 4 (because air drying is probably best - but it takes my hair forever to air dry).

jkamiel

i think you should airdry in small twists or in a rollerset to stretch it out. no need to damage your hair with the high heat of the blow dryer. that's just my opinion though.

make sure you set the level of the chi (idk if you can but if you can) on a medium or low heat cuz i know it can get really hot

..and your hair in your signature is beautiful!

BrownEyez22

Your hair in your siggy is very pretty. I second Elle Dolls suggestion. The rollerset should stretch the hair for you so flat ironing is easier and you have less chance of heat damage.

Natural-K

thank yall for the advice and wonderful compliments. I'm thinking I'll do #3 and I'll add some leave-in before the rollerset.

jkamiel - my chi doesn't have a temperature setting.

I do plan to turn down the pibbs. This will be my second time and the first time I had it maxed out and I was under there cooking. I had to use a towel to cover my ears and forehead. :nono:

Thanks again and any more feedback is welcomed.