African Pride Moisture Miracle! Say What??

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
So, I am on the hunt for a styler for my little ones hair. I do his hair daily as his hair doesn't keep too well with him being a rough wild sleeper. His curl size is between 3c and 4a. The majority is a silky texture and the back is coarse. It took awhile for the back to keep moisture as long as the front.

I used to use Blue Roze Perm Rod mousse for his styler. It's just okay now and I only use it to use up at this point. His favorites are KCCC, Jane Carter curl defining cream, and Wetline Xtreme Gel. The first two are expensive to use for daily styling so I only break them out every now and again. Im almost out of the first 2 so Im not sure about repurchasing. The last only works in the spring/summer due to the high glycerin, even if I seal it. Miss Jessie Stylers are okay for him as well but again , prices.

So, I stumbled on African Pride Moisture Miracle Shea Butter/Flaxseed Cream last week. BABAY!!!!!!! The softness is out of this world. It almost feels as if its conditioning his hair because the next day, while the hair wasn't immaculate, I couldn't keep my hands out of his strands. They felt super soft and just supple. There wasn't a high amount of sheen/shine but I wasn't looking for it due to the shea butter. The only thing I do not like is it takes awhile for the product to dissipate so I have to do his hair early in the day if I want him not to look crazy.

I picked up the rest of the line today and I have high hopes. My hair twin is in love with these products. Anyone else try these out? I might even give it a go myself.

Last edited:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
The pre-shampoo looks promising. Here are the ingredients:
Water/Aqua, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract/Aloe Vera, Glycerin, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Cocos Nucifera Fruit Juice/Coconut Water, Acrylamidopropyltrimonium Chloride/Acrylates Copolymer, PEG-90M, Phenoxyethanol, Ethyhexylglycerin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Polysorbate-20, Fragrance/Parfum, Benzyl Benzoate, d-Limonene, Linalool.

Thanks for the rec, @shawnyblazes

FadingDelilah

Wetline gel has glycerin lower on the ingredient list than the AP cream, so there's probably more glycerin in the AP cream than the gel. It has glycerin as its second ingredient. I use glycerin all year round and it never fails me. Lots of people believe glycerin doesn't work in drier weather, but I have a feeling its something else in the products they're using that's causing that affect.

Maybe your sons hair is naturally more moisturized during the summer from the humidity so you think the product is working during that time when it really isn't doing much, but during the drier seasons when his hair is drier, the product's mediocrity in terms of adding moisture shows up more evidently. His hair might actually like glycerin.

Edit: But then again its probably always about the formulation of a product as a whole, not just one ingredient. When it comes to picky natural hair, who knows what will work and what won't? LOL.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Yes. You stated exactly what it is. There’s more humidity.

I’ve been using the AP in days like today in NJ when the dew points aren’t the greatest and his hair is firm because there is no moisture in the air. It’s still supple but the hold is there versus on days when the dew points are great and his hair is plush.

@FadingDelilah

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
It’s hard trying to snap pictures with a 2 1/2 yo. but I will try to add some to the thread.

I tried the majority of the line on him for washday tonight and it definitely was moisture. Each product complimented the next.

The only products in the line I don’t have are the watery leave in conditioner spray and the oil. I don’t plan on picking them up. I use water on his hair daily to refresh and most of the products have a high amount of butter/oils. I don’t feel the need to try the oil.

His hair is thin so I don’t twist or braid it because it tends to look scraggly. He wears a washngo or curly fro every day.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
This was earlier in the day with the Shea butter/flaxseed oil cream. I started off with dry hair and added water to detangle, then the cream.

Took about an hour to disappear. I wasn’t able to catch any pictures of it dry because we were at the farm pumpkin picking and he was all over.

Attachments

• 29C3F942-E4CB-4AF6-AFC8-E360F468C2F0.jpeg
    29C3F942-E4CB-4AF6-AFC8-E360F468C2F0.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
The Pre shampoo works very well as a detangler. Super detangling. Loads of slip and moisture. I used it yesterday on my little one to detangle and left it in. I plan on washing his hair tomorrow but this stuff is lovely. It slids down the strands and after it sits for awhile, you can slide your fingers down the hair and any shed hairs seem to stick to your fingers. Very good product. I like it way better than the Knot Glide for him.