AFROVEDA RESPONDS...

Neith

No she isn't. I told ya'll I give this a shelf-life of two weeks before AfroVedaGate became the new ShimaGate and we started seeing :padlock2: :padlock2: :padlock2: all over the place!

I personally don't see why it should get to that point...

Most people don't seem overly emotional about it. For example, I don't like this whole situation, but it's not like I'm foaming at the mouth.

Just because I express disapproval doesn't mean I'm about to crack some necks over conditioner or a (pretty much ruined) small hair care business.. Let's put it all into perspective now. lol

Last edited:

Charz

Sinister Minister
Good for you.

So your questions should still be pointed at Mala Rhodes. Why can't she make quality products? Why does she lie? Why do people buy things one month and it's not the same the next month?

I;m the one that have been bringing this issue to light on numerous boards. Asking why I purchased something (not knowing yourself when I purchased it) is irrelevant.

Back to AfroVeda because I'm done with this. I'm sure Mala will love to read how people want to get on each others case over something so petty. I would like to focus on the monster itself AFROVEDA.

I got an order about 2 weeks ago and my Shea Amla was yellow and had some oils in the forms of bubbles, in it so I kept it in the fridge. On October 1st i went to get another Shea Amla from a vendor off her website (for $12.50) and I got my order today. It's a totally different product. It's not a butter, it's more of milk. It's much thinner than what I got just a few weeks ago directly from AfroVeda.

Here is the old (yellow and thick) versus the new (White and runny):

@makeupvixen

No need to get defensive and deflective. She was just asking a simple question. And I think it is a legitimate one. If you are so anti-Afroveda (because of her shady practices) why would you continue to support her business, one way or another? I honestly was thinking the same thing. Me personally if a vendor was about to raise her prices by 100%, i wouldn't buy anymore product I would say FU.

Her formula is crap, this is common forum knowledge, so why are you surprised/outraged? It's like me buying a Hummer, and then complaining and being furious about the gas mileage.

Just because someone makes crappy products doesn't mean us as the consumer still need to buy them. That's why like chebaby said, it's important to research everything before buying it. Trust me I know, because I am such a PJ and need to be careful what I spend my money on, especially if the company is not as established. This is directed to everyone.

It's your money so you can do whatever you want with it, obviously. So what we say doesn't really matter at the end if the day.

I'm not trying to "fight among each other" because it's not that serious. I honestly am indifferent. But instead of being judgmental and coming up with her own opinions @chebaby just wanted to hear your side of the story.

makeupvixen

@makeupvixen

No need to get defensive and deflective. She was just asking a simple question. And I think it is a legitimate one. If you are so anti-Afroveda (because of her shady practices) why would you continue to support her business, one way or another? I honestly was thinking the same thing. Me personally if a vendor was about to raise her prices by 100%, i wouldn't buy anymore product I would say FU.

Her formula is crap, this is common forum knowledge, so why are you surprised/outraged? It's like me buying a Hummer, and then complaining and being furious about the gas mileage.

Just because someone makes crappy products doesn't mean us as the consumer still need to buy them. That's why like chebaby said, it's important to research everything before buying it. Trust me I know, because I am such a PJ and need to be careful what I spend my money on, especially if the company is not as established. This is directed to everyone.

It's your money so you can do whatever you want with it, obviously. So what we say doesn't really matter at the end if the day.

I'm not trying to "fight among each other" because it's not that serious. I honestly am indifferent. But instead of being judgmental and coming up with her own opinions @chebaby just wanted to hear your side of the story.

My purchases were made prior to AfroVeda's scandal coming to light, September 2010. If i would have known that her products were pure crap, she had a loosey business, wack customer service, and was a 100% liar then I wouldn't have made the very first purchase in September 2010. Not that it should matter. what matters to me is why Mala can't make a consistent product and why she would charge so much for something that is (freshly discovered October 12, 2010 by my own eyes and not from random threads) that her product is crap.

BostonMaria

I bought 3 jars of butters (assorted) last November. By the end of December 2 of them went bad and smelled like rotten eggs. I didn't get mad, but I chucked it up to experience and never ordered the butters again.

I prefer buying avocado and coffee butters and just using them straight out of the jar. Plus it lasts longer than buying these whipped butters from online vendors. I bought a jar of coffee butter 11 months ago and still have some left.

makeupvixen

I bought 3 jars of butters (assorted) last November. By the end of December 2 of them went bad and smelled like rotten eggs. I didn't get mad, but I chucked it up to experience and never ordered the butters again.

I prefer buying avocado and coffee butters and just using them straight out of the jar. Plus it lasts longer than buying these whipped butters from online vendors. I bought a jar of coffee butter 11 months ago and still have some left.

Where do you get your avocado butter from?

I use to get mine from Shea Essentials but they are always sold out.

FutureMD

Try Essential Wholesale - Soapmaking Supplies - Essential Oils - Cosmetic Bases - Craft Supplies - Aromatherapy - Organic Cosmetics, or do a search on Ebay. Another place that is good for oils is iHerb.com - Vitamins, Supplements & Natural Health Products. If you have a hand mixer and look up recipes on the internet, you can make yourself some nice hair butter. You can find explanations/recipes about what different ingredients do and how much to use. You don't have to guess, and with measuring cups and a kitchen scale you'll be good to go. Buying a few ingredients, some containers (also sold by a lot of these same vendors) can allow you to make a bigger batch of something nice for a good price. Don't leave out the preservatives or your creations will spoil (they are also available for sale).
Thanks to the internet, you don't have to guess at this and you don't have to rely on anyone's poorly made (or expensive but well-made) products. So many of these things are basically the same thing with a few tweaks.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I purchased mine from Camden Grey
Butters & Waxes | Camden Grey Essential Oils

I didn't like the mango butter or its consistency. It was too grainy for me. I loved the coffee butter (it does smell like coffee) and avocado. My next purchase will include orange butter and olive butter.

Do you mix the butters or just use them straight out o fthe jar you purchased? Do you mind sharing what these butters remind you of (in terms of a product that you can buy from a vendor). I really hate having to find new products when I have found something that works well for me and my girls.

LittleLuxe

I personally don't see why it should get to that point...

Most people don't seem overly emotional about it. For example, I don't like this whole situation, but it's not like I'm foaming at the mouth.

Just because I express disapproval doesn't mean I'm about to crack some necks over conditioner or a (pretty much ruined) small hair care business.. Let's put it all into perspective now. lol

Exactly. Folks are annoyed but this seems like pretty tame stuff, besides these threads are opening up discussions about bases, recipes and other helpful tips for women which is great.

Not everything should be a war, lol.

Noir

BostonMaria You may or may not know this, but seeing as this is the week to put folks on blast :look: I thought that i'd mention that those 'exotic' butters are actually fake butters.

There really is no such thing as coffee butter, orange butter, green tea, hemp butter etc etc. I know this for a fact because I make and sell those 'butters' myself :look: (I am honest with my clients about what they really are). Now, I won't reveal exactly how they are made (trade secret and alla that) however I can tell you that those exotic butters are man made by adding a very cheap filler to the oil (in this case roasted coffee oil), which solidifies the oil and is then marketed as a 'butter'.

So, basically, you are paying MORE for something which should in fact cost less. Lemme break it down using Camden Grey's jojoba butter as an example because they don't sell coffee oil.

1lb 100% Jojoba Oil = $11.50
1lb 70 % Jojoba Oil + cheap filler = $17.25

See, the imitation butter (which is actually 60-80% oil) is priced higher than the 100% oil, even though butter has been adulterated with a cheap filler. So essentially with these fake butters, you are paying MORE for LESS of the actual goodness.

IMO, unless one wants the oil in a solidified form, it makes absolutely no sense, to buy the fake butter version of the oil. You get more way more for less when you just buy the oil.

I would be willing to post a list of authentic butters vs. imitation butters, if anybody is interested.

EllePixie

Noir Usually on the wholesale sites they let you know that it's not 100% butter - they give the ingredients and most of the time it's hydrogenated veggie oil and an extract/oil, but sometimes they use shea then add the extracts.

Didn't mean to butt in just adding info!

lilikoi

I would be willing to post a list of authentic butters vs. imitation butters, if anybody is interested.

Noir--I'm super-interested! But I think such valuable info deserves its own thread. Would you please start one?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Last edited:

Kurlee

@BostonMaria You may or may not know this, but seeing as this is the week to put folks on blast :look: I thought that i'd mention that those 'exotic' butters are actually fake butters.

There really is no such thing as coffee butter, orange butter, green tea, hemp butter etc etc. I know this for a fact because I make and sell those 'butters' myself :look: (I am honest with my clients about what they really are). Now, I won't reveal exactly how they are made (trade secret and alla that) however I can tell you that those exotic butters are man made by adding a very cheap filler to the oil (in this case roasted coffee oil), which solidifies the oil and is then marketed as a 'butter'.

So, basically, you are paying MORE for something which should in fact cost less. Lemme break it down using Camden Grey's jojoba butter as an example because they don't sell coffee oil.

See, the imitation butter (which is actually 60-80% oil) is priced higher than the 100% oil, even though butter has been adulterated with a cheap filler. So essentially with these fake butters, you are paying MORE for LESS of the actual goodness.

IMO, unless one wants the oil in a solidified form, it makes absolutely no sense, to buy the fake butter version of the oil. You get more way more for less when you just buy the oil.

Please post:yep:

prettyinpurple

It's my understanding that she didn't give her customers a heads-up about the price increase, and she's only responding b/c she has to say something at this point. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That is some poor business planning. Did she think no one would complain? At least no one would have been blindsided if she had sent a message BEFORE the price increase.

FYI: I have never purchased her products and won't be doing so now.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Originally Posted by Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care
Hi Nikki,

I completely understand the feelings of many of the customers who have commented on my reasons for the price increase. I've ready many responses that suggest that the reasons I listed were untrue. Nevertheless, they are true. In March of this year, the vendor that I purchase aloe vera products from (juice, gel and oil) increased their price from $40/gallon to $70/gallon. They gave no explanation why. I decided to look for another vendor and tried 3 different companies, only to find that their quality was not what I wanted for my products. In the end, I went back with the original company and paid the additional money because I liked the fact that what they offered was pure and organic. The same thing happened with the vendor that I purchase unprocessed Fair Trade shea butter and cocoa butter from. Their price increase wasn't as drastic, but it was considerably more than I had been paying. Those are not the only items that increased in price, only the two most dramatic ones.

I made the decision, despite the recommendation of my advisor, to absorb these additional costs and as I posted on the website, am now unable to continue this process. I could have stayed with the "inferior" products (which I don't really think are inferior, they were just not the highest quality), or used much less of the more expensive products in my formulas. Either way, in my mind, it would have yielded an AfroVeda product that did not meet my own standards -- which is unacceptable to me.

It has been recommended to me on numerous occasions that I find a "lab" to reproduce my products to cut down on costs. However, when researching this option I have found that it would actually be more expensive for me, especially since I have already developed specific formulas for them to follow. What makes this option cost effective is when a person uses the already-formulated bases designed by the lab, and then only add a few additional ingredients to make it "their own". It is easy to do because there are labs everywhere, but that is not the AfroVeda way.

I am committed to making products that perform the way they are intended, and will never compromise on quality. With the help of my chemist/consultant, I have improved the formulas for the hair butters so that there are no more issues with separating. I have also switched to eco-friendly packaging, and have upgraded the bottle labels so that they are now smudge-proof and water resistant. I have added a customer service phone number (which is posted on the website) and am now offering customers the option to call in orders, which wasn't an option before. All of these things I handle (with the help of an occasional intern/contract employee) while hand-making, processing, packaging and shipping 30-40 orders per day.

This explanation may not diminish the frustration of the customers who have supported me and AfroVeda to this point, but it is the truth. It is never my intent (or any business's intent I hope) to anger the very ones who have kept me in business. I greatly appreciate the customers who have embraced AfroVeda and apologize that this business decision has left them with unfavorable emotions about the company. It is my sincere hope that they have a prosperous hair journey, and that they would reconsider AfroVeda in the future.

Thank you again Nikki, for allowing me the opportunity to respond.

In perfect peace,

Mala Rhodes
Founder and CEO of Afroveda
so sad... I feel sorry for her really

I ship about 20-25 packages a day.... maybe I should start a company lol

but I feel sorry for her

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

BostonMaria You may or may not know this, but seeing as this is the week to put folks on blast :look: I thought that i'd mention that those 'exotic' butters are actually fake butters.

DID I MISS THIS THREAD?????? may we see it