AFROVEDA RESPONDS...

makeupvixen

WOW. I don't know which response is worse! The first excuse was such a blatant lie now it's like she's trying to cover something up without saying much about the real truth of her products.

I guess I was on point by writing Boo Boo Da Fool on my forehead in my video.

This is going so far that I think it is great that all of this is being exposed for what it is, a bunch of lies.

I feel that AfroVeda got greedy and thought that all of use po folk naturals would just say Yes'sah boss you say I pay $21.50 now and I pay it without question or hesitation. Sorry sistah but not this community of naturals and not in today's world.

I'm happy that people are seeing that SOME of these so called Organic and natural handmade companies are not honest and trustworthy bur rather greedy liars that only want our money. AfroVeda has proven that their company doesn't have any form of quality in their products (we see that after all of these complaints are now out in the open).

I see it like this. The Perm Hair Care industry is a multi-billion dollar industry to cater to those that want to fit into mainstream standards of straight hair. Now here comes along an uprising of Natural women that want to take proper care of their hair and love and embrace their natural curly hair, how can companies make a profit off these people??? These companies can pretend to do this that and the other and some stupid naturals will buy it if these companies clam their our products are natural, homemade and can help grow your hair and make it strong and blah blah blah.

Well ladies I don't think that these companies were truly ready for us. They may have thought they could spit out anything and we were stupid enough to fall for anything. But with the fall out over AfroVeda it is clear that we are not going to tolerate such madness, price hiking, lies, coverups, poor customer service, and other unfortunate mishaps. After these past few days we have uncovered so much deep information and knowledge, not only about the lies from AfroVeda, but from lots of so called Natural Companies that this has become a very serious issue. Now the question is what do we do with this information?

Now that we have discovered the truth, what do we do with it???

EllePixie

There are WAY too many reasons people were upset (shipping times, product quality) and revelations that have come out during Afrovedagate in addition to her price hike (honestly, I wasn't even upset at the prices because like bronzebomb said, I buy a lot of other products that are comparable in price but I don't have to deal with Mala's BS month-long processing time or my products separating) for her statement to mean a dang thing.

chebaby

Quite frankly, I don't have the time or do I choose to make products. The pretty much cost the same...

AfroVeda's Curl Define is $18.50
Oyin Handmade is $18.00
Qhemet Biologics ($16.00 - 16.50)
Miss Jessie's - $32.00
Komaza Care - $17.50
Carol's Daughter Healthy hair Butter $16.50

Aren't these the same prices (in the ballpark)? When somone introduces their products the cost is typically low. It's supply and demand. When you, the consumer, start ordering more, the prices go up. She believes in her products. Miss Jessie's didn't change her prices nor did she change those ingredients...

Now, I will say that she still needs to step up her marketing game, chose those labels are wicked! (The still look homemade). But she did say that she impoved on the ingredients so they would not seperate. Last week, this product was wonderful, the holy grail...not anymore...Y'all done boycotted her! LOL

yes the products are basically all in the same price range. no argument there. however all these companies have stable products. i have never gotten a products from any of the above companies(excluding afroveda) that came separated, or gave off a rotten smell, or spoiled in a few weeks.
perfect your products and then raise the prices because then no one can question the quality.

chebaby

There are WAY too many reasons people were upset (shipping times, product quality) and revelations that have come out during Afrovedagate in addition to her price hike (honestly, I wasn't even upset at the prices because like bronzebomb said, I buy a lot of other products that are comparable in price but I don't have to deal with Mala's BS month-long processing time or my products separating) for her statement to mean a dang thing.

i 100% agree with you. people were tired of waiting 3-4 weeks for their package and then getting the package and have issues with them. it was just too much going on for her to raise prices and think it was justified. people only put up with the wait and the separation and molding(which by the way i have never and would never put up with for any price) becuase compared to other natural handmade companies she was the most afordable, and now that cant even be said.

HappilyLiberal

I never bought her products and won't be buying. But I kinda feel like if ppl don't like it just don't buy it. Why is everyone taking this as a personal attack? She raised her prices, it kind of sucks and now if u want it pay the extra if not then don't buy it and find something else. Just my opinion

You've been here six years and you haven't figured out that once LHCF'ers detect blood in the water they start circling like sharks?!

Neith

You've been here six years and you haven't figured out that once LHCF'ers detect blood in the water they start circling like sharks?!

I don't see anyone here ready to go with weapons to Mala's house.

It's a discussion board. Of course people are going to share their opinions. Some people don't appreciate shady business dealings, which is understandable. I don't see where anyone crossed the line on this subject.

Fine, some people are going to disagree. but no, I'm not a shark in the water for simply voicing my opinion on a discussion forum. :)

Last edited:

Beverly Ann Properties

I moved on from Afroveda in 2009. The shipping time was unacceptable to me. I now order from Qhemet Biologics and Komaza Care. I am happy I don't have to entertain this price hike!

Kurlee

not gonna lie, her products were really good. If they were sooooooo bad, there wouldn't be such a backlash. With that said, I don't see this working out well for her. I know for sure, I won't be spending another dime.

DigitalRain

I've spent my 2 minutes of grieving over the price hike, and now I'm over it. I've found a new product (Shea Moisture)that give me better results at a REASONABLE price.

Kimiche

I don't see anyone here ready to go with weapons to Mala's house.

It's a discussion board. Of course people are going to share their opinions. Some people don't appreciate shady business dealings, which is understandable. I don't see where anyone crossed the line on this subject.

Fine, some people are going to disagree. but no, I'm not a shark in the water for simply voicing my opinion on a discussion forum. :)

Exactly!! I don't see anything wrong with people talking about it. If we don't talk about it, how else are we going to warn others about this shady business?

Natirelle

The funny thing about this, is the day if the price hike I was actually about to by sometihing from her. Something told me to go on LHCF, boy was I end for a surprise. Im so glad I didnt buy that over priced stuff.

LittleLuxe

Exactly!! I don't see anything wrong with people talking about it. If we don't talk about it, how else are we going to warn others about this shady business?

In the end it's all about knowledge and what her price hike did was open the doors for us to be even more aware of what's going into our products. The hair boards may be a minority but we're consumer slaves to no one whether it be big companies or small business. Gotta keep it real, if you choose to go in one direction with your business and it doesn't work for your customers...no one's going to sit around and cry nor are we helpless. We'll find another path and still have banging hair whereas whatever you do...good luck.

If I don't like mixing up stuff I'll support a business but if I ever come across some bases such as what Hairveda uses...shucks, I'm gonna have to feel real bad for the lady behind the business as I move on :look: (if you're reading this just keep that in mind before you pull any Afroveda stunts :grin: )

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I've spent my 2 minutes of grieving over the price hike, and now I'm over it. I've found a new product (Shea Moisture)that give me better results at a REASONABLE price.

Can someone tell me where to buy Shea Moisture? I keep hearing good things about it.

yardgirl

I've never bought anything but SMH at this mess. 100% increase?? She does realise that people have options?

asubeauty

I think I understand what she is saying but the price hike means that she should review her business plan. Many people who are not in the industry don't realize there is a difference between "organic" products and "certified fair trade organic" products. The latter almost doubles the price of the product. That means that even though the product may be made in india/china/which ever 3rd world nation the workers are allegedly paid the same as an employee would earn in US income. This most times means being assured of no sweatshop/child labor conditions in addition to paying out of the teeth.

Personally I have abandoned sourcing organic products from fair trade and just concentrate on good quality organic products because my customers are not willing to pay a premium just for fair trade products when the are already paying a premium for organic.

Personally I feel that she did not even bother to understand her target market. That alone raises an eyebrow.

Re: the first bolded, I thought the same thing... I've never had a business, but wouldn't it be reasonable to have a plan for the increase in prices for your materials? :ohwell: From what I understand, it was a small part-time thing she did out of her house, but did she ever have a plan for it to grow? If Afroveda got really popular nationwide, did she still plan to mix products in her kitchen since she is so opposed to labs? The whole thing just seems unorganized and poorly planned to me... :nono:

makeupvixen

The day that AfroVeda went up in price I ran to her vendors to place my order of the Shea Amla before their prices changed too! Well ladies I ended up getting the New Jar with the obvious New Formula. This mess is watered down. The smell isn't strong like before! The color is obviously different! It's like a freaking milk and not a butter.

I am so freaking glad Mala is being exposed for her lies!

Look at this crap!!!

Attachments

• 100_0311-1.jpg
    100_0311-1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_0312-1.jpg
    100_0312-1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 93

chebaby

i know people are going to be mad but imma say it anyway. why the heck would you run out and stock up on a product that hasnt been stable for a while all while doing a video crying about how the owner of the business raised the prices??? i mean really. i have ordered from ms afrveda plenty of times and after i realized that my products came different, people products spoiled IN THEIR HAIR, and had to keep it in the refrigerator why would i stock up???
those products look crazy beside one another however i am not surprised.
are you??? and if so why???
havent you seen the youtube videos???

and im not trying to be mean. honestly i want to know.

makeupvixen

i know people are going to be mad but imma say it anyway. why the heck would you run out and stock up on a product that hasnt been stable for a while all while doing a video crying about how the owner of the business raised the prices??? i mean really. i have ordered from ms afrveda plenty of times and after i realized that my products came different, people products spoiled IN THEIR HAIR, and had to keep it in the refrigerator why would i stock up???

FUNNY. real funny. I made a youtube video about this, didn't you see it???

I became a AfroVeda customer LAST MONTH, before the scandal.

And who stocked up? I ordered one more Shea Amla before the vendor changed their prices? Is having two Shea Amla products stocking up? I placed the order on October 1st, although what difference does that make. This scandal has only been going on for 11 days where I am involved in being pissed at Mala Rhodes.

So YES I AM SURPRISED. I purchased from her once last month and from a vendor this month. So I don't see what the above misunderstanding you have is. Shouldn't your honest questions about the consistent quality of products be placed towards the idiot owner that is lying and not why someone purchased from a company that thought it had a good reputation (when it did when the orders were placed)???

Last edited:

chebaby

FUNNY. real funny. I mad a youtube video about this, didn't you see it???

I became a AfroVeda customer LAST MONTH, before the scandal.

And who stocked up? I ordered one more Shea Amla before the vendor changed their prices? Is having two Shea Amla products stocking up?

So YES I AM SURPRISED. I purchased from her once last month and from a vendor this month. So I don't see what the above misunderstanding you have is

no need to be mad or offended i was asking because i know there have been threads or posts around here and youtube videos of afroveda fans saying that even though they have been purchasing from her for a while the products started to spoil. the reason i was asking have you seen the videos is because those vids arent new. familygoingnatural and splinta24 did videos on it a while ago which is why i have afroveda products that i am afraid to use because of the reports of spoiling and rotten egg smell.

makeupvixen

no need to be mad or offended i was asking because i know there have been threads or posts around here and youtube videos of afroveda fans saying that even though they have been purchasing from her for a while the products started to spoil. the reason i was asking have you seen the videos is because those vids arent new. familygoingnatural and splinta24 did videos on it a while ago which is why i have afroveda products that i am afraid to use because of the reports of spoiling and rotten egg smell.

2 old videos??? Is that what you are saying. Two old videos is what I had to base my purchases on?

I am very good friends with Splinta24 and she only had one problem and the problem was fixed back when AfroVeda had good customer service. In fact i am the one that told Nicky about the AfroVeda Price Hike in the first place, she even thanked me for the heads up on my video Rant. (guess you didn't c that either, it's fine I understand)

All of these other complaints are pretty new and I surly wasn't researching the History of a company before purchasing it, do you?

Last edited:

chebaby

i do research before i make a purchase. nothing big. i come on here and see what yall are saying or go on youtube a watch a few videos.
anyway, my point was that the unstableness(lol) of her products isnt really new. it just didnt blow up until after her price hike because people where offended that she would raise the prices that high on products where the quality wasnt as it was when she first started.

makeupvixen

i do research before i make a purchase. nothing big. i come on here and see what yall are saying or go on youtube a watch a few videos.
anyway, my point was that the unstableness(lol) of her products isnt really new. it just didnt blow up until after her price hike because people where offended that she would raise the prices that high on products where the quality wasnt as it was when she first started.

Good for you.

So your questions should still be pointed at Mala Rhodes. Why can't she make quality products? Why does she lie? Why do people buy things one month and it's not the same the next month?

I;m the one that have been bringing this issue to light on numerous boards. Asking why I purchased something (not knowing yourself when I purchased it) is irrelevant.

Back to AfroVeda because I'm done with this. I'm sure Mala will love to read how people want to get on each others case over something so petty. I would like to focus on the monster itself AFROVEDA.

I got an order about 2 weeks ago and my Shea Amla was yellow and had some oils in the forms of bubbles, in it so I kept it in the fridge. On October 1st i went to get another Shea Amla from a vendor off her website (for $12.50) and I got my order today. It's a totally different product. It's not a butter, it's more of milk. It's much thinner than what I got just a few weeks ago directly from AfroVeda.

Here is the old (yellow and thick) versus the new (White and runny):

Attachments

• 100_0312-1.jpg
    100_0312-1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_0311-1.jpg
    100_0311-1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Natirelle

Good for you.

So your questions should still be pointed at Mala Rhodes. Why can't she make quality products? Why does she lie? Why do people buy things one month and it's not the same the next month?

I;m the one that have been bringing this issue to light on numerous boards. Asking why I purchased something (not knowing yourself when I purchased it) is irrelevant.

Back to AfroVeda because I'm done with this. I'm sure Mala will love to read how people want to get on each others case over something so petty. I would like to focus on the monster itself AFROVEDA.

I placed an order about 2 weeks ago and my Shea Amla was yellow and had some oils in the forms of bubbles, in it so I kept it in the fridge. On October 1st i went to get another Shea Amla from a vendor off her website (for $12.50) and I got my order today. It's a totally different product. It's not a butter, it's more of milk. It's much thinner than what I got just a few weeks ago directly from AfroVeda.

Here is the new versus the old:

The old one looks way better then the new one. MALA WTH ???? My SHEA MOISTURE looks better then the new improved formula she got.

Kurlee

good point. I liken it to when I guy is tryna holla on the street and you ignore him and then he yells "man, forget chu. Ur ugly anyway". It's wasn't I ugly 5 minutes ago BEFORE I rejected u? I understand the disappointment and anger at this company. I really do, but it seems like people are so hurt by the turn of events that all of a sudden afroveda is this and that. That's not to say there weren't real concerns before, but they are being amplified now because of the fall out.

EllePixie

good point. I liken it to when I guy is tryna holla on the street and you ignore him and then he yells "man, forget chu. Ur ugly anyway". It's wasn't I ugly 5 minutes ago BEFORE I rejected u? I understand the disappointment and anger at this company. I really do, but it seems like people are so hurt by the turn of events that all of a sudden afroveda is this and that. That's not to say there weren't real concerns before, but they are being amplified now because of the fall out.

LOL I think it's more like, you're dating a guy, then you find out he was cheating on you, so then all the stuff that sorta annoyed you before is amplified by like 20. I'm not sure about this forum but I know on NC someone was always going off about her customer service and product quality - so when she raised the prices everyone was like, WORD MALA?! You have some nerve...

Kurlee

LOL I think it's more like, you're dating a guy, then you find out he was cheating on you, so then all the stuff that sorta annoyed you before is amplified by like 20. I'm not sure about this forum but I know on NC someone was always going off about her customer service and product quality - so when she raised the prices everyone was like, WORD MALA?! You have some nerve...
THIS IS a damn good example :yep: