After 2 yrs. Natural, I Texturized... *pics*

lovelymissyoli

Your hair is very pretty.

I just have one question...if you don't detangle it and untwist it all the way, aren't you afraid that some small amounts of chemicals may not have been rinsed out? (Maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole process.)

I took the twists out on Saturday and I left neutralizer on my hair after completing each section so the chemicals are gone. Since Saturday I've been washing my hair every morning. I didn't plan on leaving the twists in, I just didn't want to take them all down before I relaxed my hair. I hope that helps clear things up a little.

Last edited:

lovelymissyoli

Okay u siad this is what your hair looked like when you were natural and it was wet??? If so are u sure you are a 4a. My hair never looked like that wet when I was natural. never ever..no matter what i put in it. My daughters doesn't either.

When my natural hair is wet it looks like shrunken naps, or shrunken pen springs. I have tons of coils on the ends or the entire strand, so all the relaxer did was elongate whatever I had. Here's a pic of me putting in color and one of my first shake n' go after chopping. (All pictures are of wet hair)

When I first chopped back in '06.... (wet shake n' go)

Putting in color.... (more wet hair)

Shake n' go (no products, no manipulation...just soaking wet...)

I'm still 4a, not 4a/b like I thought. In the end, the relaxer did change my hair by simply smoothing my strands and elongating them. My natural hair never looked exactly like my texturized hair.

Suerte

After being natural for two years, I decided to texturize/relax my hair on 10/18/2007.

I guess a couple of factors led to my decision, the main culprits being: knots and breakage. And as much as I loved shrinkage for two-strand twists, flat twists, braidouts and puffs, I think this was also another factor.

In the end, I made the decision to texturize and I have no regrets. I no longer see any broken hairs on my floor, which has been a major setback for me these past 5 months.

I was pretty scared at first because I know I didn’t want bone straight relaxed hair, so I made sure that I mixed a protein conditioner, some jojoba oil, and castor oil into the ORS relaxer that I used. I really didn’t research what relaxer to use, but the ORS (Organic Root Stimulator) seemed the best choice on that aisle in Target. In the end, I’m happy with my results. I texturized using a method I’ve never really heard anyone use before, but which made sense, and that was to apply the relaxer while my hair was still in twists. I guess you can call it laziness because I didn’t want to take these 3 week old twists down, or I was simply curious to see what might happen, but all in all, I think this method is a keeper.

I didn’t end up with too many straight ends…maybe 5-8…and my hair pretty much looks the same, minus my ends constantly breaking and the shrinkage…well sort of. Since I was really scared of the chemicals I did a few strand tests and found that a processing time of 5 minutes worked the best. Anything more (as you’ll see in my album) caused too much straightness.

We'll see how my hair fares in the upcoming months...

More pics are in my album, and the “how-to” folder is by password request only.

-lovelymissyoli

Ohhhh my goodness! That is so beautiful. I'm REQUESTING the password like, now cuz I wanna see how you did that!

I think these are the best texturizer results I've ever seen on someone who did them themselves. Excluding Sareca cuz her tex is also really nice but she uses that pricey phyto. This is with store bought stuff. Wow.

ETA....
This puts CURVE salon to shame. Wow.

betty-boo

Lovelmissyoli this is beautiful! It looks absolutely amazing. What an ingenious idea!!! I too would like to know what would happen if you were to comb these out? Would they spring back into place? It is absolutely beautiful! :spinning:

ETA: I tried to get into your fotki and I'm also getting the 'this folder is empty' sign. I'm so upset!

Last edited:

turnergirl

Yeah for you Yoli!!! It looks great. I have been on the fence for quite some time myself so I know the aggravation you felt.

sylver2

When my natural hair is wet it looks like shrunken naps, or shrunken pen springs. I have tons of coils on the ends or the entire strand, so all the relaxer did was elongate whatever I had. Here's a pic of me putting in color and one of my first shake n' go after chopping. (All pictures are of wet hair)

When I first chopped back in '06.... (wet shake n' go)

Putting in color.... (more wet hair)

Shake n' go (no products, no manipulation...just soaking wet...)

I'm still 4a, not 4a/b like I thought. In the end, the relaxer did change my hair by simply smoothing my strands and elongating them. My natural hair never looked exactly like my texturized hair.

oh ok..thanks. Gorgeous in every pic :)

Soliel185

Hmm..I wonder if the color loosened your texture at all? I've heard that it does, but I've never dyed my hair so I don't know. When my natural hair got wet it hung UP not down. I probably had alot of 4b hiding in there. Your dry hair looks more similar to mine. Regardless it's beautiful -- I was playing with the idea of transitioning to texlaxed and I'm in my 21st wk post right now - I want to stretch till April. But I'd given up on the texlax dream for the moment to focus on growing long healthy relaxed hair 1st.

It's like that Usher song " You make my wanna leave the one I'm wit -- start a new relationship with you this is what you do..." :lachen:

sylver2

Hmm..I wonder if the color loosened your texture at all? I've heard that it does, but I've never dyed my hair so I don't know. When my natural hair got wet it hung UP not down. I probably had alot of 4b hiding in there. Your dry hair looks more similar to mine. Regardless it's beautiful -- I was playing with the idea of transitioning to texlaxed and I'm in my 21st wk post right now - I want to stretch till April. But I'd given up on the texlax dream for the moment to focus on growing long healthy relaxed hair 1st.

It's like that Usher song " You make my wanna leave the one I'm wit -- start a new relationship with you this is what you do..." :lachen:

mines too!!!

Kookie

I actually think it DOES loosen the texture a bit.
I'm currently growing out my color and taking more and more notice to the hair that grows "naturally" out of my scalp. As more and more hair grows in....I'll be able to conclude better rsults to this thought.

BlkRushhin

Wow missyoli....you shown me that what I once thought was the impossible is possible :amen:

Is it possible that I too can have your pw to get the details of the process? :angel: THANX!

lisana

your hair looks gorgeous, i have to say :yep: I know you are going to keep up with the dc'ing so you can maintain it and it is going to stay just wonderful :)

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Wow, that's hot! I want to make my hair goal first, then I'll think about copying your idea. Thank you for posting your progress!:notworthy

shellyb

Your hair is SO PURTY.... absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I may try this technique with my next texturizer. When I looked at your natural pictures, your hair seemed to already have that pen spiral texture. Do you think you would have gotten the same spiral results if you didn't leave the twists in? And, what type of protein did you add to the relaxer?
Can you pm me the password to your album?

foxxymami

OHH.MY.GOOD.NESS.SSSSSSSSS :shocked:

You have been one of my hair inspirations for the longest and you just SHOT STRAIGHT up to the top of my list! I think I have a crush on your hair strands :lovedrool:.....okay I'm not crazy, it's just that you have one of the--if not THE--prettiest texturized heads I've ever seen.

Subscribing to this thread so I can remember your technique....I'll probably try this one day in the distant future :yep:

kweenameena

OHH.MY.GOOD.NESS.SSSSSSSSS :shocked:

You have been one of my hair inspirations for the longest and you just SHOT STRAIGHT up to the top of my list! I think I have a crush on your hair strands :lovedrool:.....okay I'm not crazy, it's just that you have one of the--if not THE--prettiest texturized heads I've ever seen.

Subscribing to this thread so I can remember your technique....I'll probably try this one day in the distant future :yep:

I feel the same way!!! Her hair is so beautiful!!!!!! Thanks for bumping this thread up because I hadn't seen it before!!!! Now I know why I can't get in her fotki!

ajargon02

After being natural for two years, I decided to texturize/relax my hair on 10/18/2007.

I guess a couple of factors led to my decision, the main culprits being: knots and breakage. And as much as I loved shrinkage for two-strand twists, flat twists, braidouts and puffs, I think this was also another factor.

In the end, I made the decision to texturize and I have no regrets. I no longer see any broken hairs on my floor, which has been a major setback for me these past 5 months.

I was pretty scared at first because I know I didn’t want bone straight relaxed hair, so I made sure that I mixed a protein conditioner, some jojoba oil, and castor oil into the ORS relaxer that I used. I really didn’t research what relaxer to use, but the ORS (Organic Root Stimulator) seemed the best choice on that aisle in Target. In the end, I’m happy with my results. I texturized using a method I’ve never really heard anyone use before, but which made sense, and that was to apply the relaxer while my hair was still in twists. I guess you can call it laziness because I didn’t want to take these 3 week old twists down, or I was simply curious to see what might happen, but all in all, I think this method is a keeper.

I didn’t end up with too many straight ends…maybe 5-8…and my hair pretty much looks the same, minus my ends constantly breaking and the shrinkage…well sort of. Since I was really scared of the chemicals I did a few strand tests and found that a processing time of 5 minutes worked the best. Anything more (as you’ll see in my album) caused too much straightness.

We'll see how my hair fares in the upcoming months...

More pics are in my album, and the “how-to” folder is by password request only.

-lovelymissyoli

I have to say that I am a bit suprised, but your hair looks BEAUTIFUL and I am so glad that you are really happy with how it came out. It just looks drop dead gorgeaus (sp?) CONGRATS to you! :yay::clapping::bouncy:

SEMO

Very nice curls. They're so uniform. Was your hair the same texture all over before the texturizer?