After 2 yrs. Natural, I Texturized... *pics*

Beautiful!!!!! I am thinking about doing a mild texturizer in the next few months. I have been natural 5 years and although I do not like wearing straight hair frequently,I would like to take some of the poof out.(I have thick/dense 4a/b hair with fine strands) Since it's grown out, I can only pull off a bun(getting bored). Can you PM me your password so I can take look at your album? Again, very pretty!!!

BeaLady

Your hair is simply beautiful. I've been debating getting a texturizer. Your hair turned out great.

It's definately an inspiration.

BelindaLuz

lovelymissyoli,
I was woundering, could you not have used Just For Me Texture Softener? I did not read all of the responces to your post, so if someone has already asked you this, my appoligeez.

lovelymissyoli

lovelymissyoli,
I was woundering, could you not have used Just For Me Texture Softener? I did not read all of the responces to your post, so if someone has already asked you this, my appoligeez.

I'm sorry to respond so late. I didn't see this message. I used ORS (Organic Root Stimulator) relaxer which comes in the box/kit you can buy at places such as Target or Wal-Mart.

I wouldn't purchase the JFM Texture Softener simply because of some of the ignorant comments I've heard/read from the mom who's a spokes person for this product.

Oli, do you have any pictures post-combing yet? Did the spirals return?

My spirals are still there. There are a few pictures in my album of my wash n' go puff. When I get the chance I'll upload more.

Your hair is SO PURTY.... absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I may try this technique with my next texturizer. When I looked at your natural pictures, your hair seemed to already have that pen spiral texture. Do you think you would have gotten the same spiral results if you didn't leave the twists in? And, what type of protein did you add to the relaxer?
Can you pm me the password to your album?

Thank you for your compliments. To answer your question, I do believe I would have gotten the same results IF and only IF I took the time to process very small sections at a time. If you look at my 'The Process' album, my strand test came out in spirals as well, but you have to take into consideration that it was only a half an inch in diameter so imagine trying to do that to my entire head. It would take forever! :spinning:

As for the protein conditioner, it was Pantene Pro-V's Intense Curl Hydrating Mask. ...Now that I look @ the ingredients, I think this just may be a deep treatment and not a protein conditioner. Oh well...it works great and smells heavenly!

BTW, I can't send you a PM for the password because your settings are blocking anyone who isn't your buddy. Simply send me a pm and I'll respond.

Last edited:

Brownie518

After being natural for two years, I decided to texturize/relax my hair on 10/18/2007.

I guess a couple of factors led to my decision, the main culprits being: knots and breakage. And as much as I loved shrinkage for two-strand twists, flat twists, braidouts and puffs, I think this was also another factor.

In the end, I made the decision to texturize and I have no regrets. I no longer see any broken hairs on my floor, which has been a major setback for me these past 5 months.

I was pretty scared at first because I know I didn’t want bone straight relaxed hair, so I made sure that I mixed a protein conditioner, some jojoba oil, and castor oil into the ORS relaxer that I used. I really didn’t research what relaxer to use, but the ORS (Organic Root Stimulator) seemed the best choice on that aisle in Target. In the end, I’m happy with my results. I texturized using a method I’ve never really heard anyone use before, but which made sense, and that was to apply the relaxer while my hair was still in twists. I guess you can call it laziness because I didn’t want to take these 3 week old twists down, or I was simply curious to see what might happen, but all in all, I think this method is a keeper.

I didn’t end up with too many straight ends…maybe 5-8…and my hair pretty much looks the same, minus my ends constantly breaking and the shrinkage…well sort of. Since I was really scared of the chemicals I did a few strand tests and found that a processing time of 5 minutes worked the best. Anything more (as you’ll see in my album) caused too much straightness.

We'll see how my hair fares in the upcoming months...

More pics are in my album, and the “how-to” folder is by password request only.

-lovelymissyoli

:yep:Your hair looks too cute!!!!

shellyb

Thank you for your compliments. To answer your question, I do believe I would have gotten the same results IF and only IF I took the time to process very small sections at a time. If you look at my 'The Process' album, my strand test came out in spirals as well, but you have to take into consideration that it was only a half an inch in diameter so imagine trying to do that to my entire head. It would take forever! :spinning:

As for the protein conditioner, it was Pantene Pro-V's Intense Curl Hydrating Mask. ...Now that I look @ the ingredients, I think this just may be a deep treatment and not a protein conditioner. Oh well...it works great and smells heavenly!

Such a creative technique....you are so inspiring! I will def try this with the Pantene conditioner for my next texlax.

Softresses

Your hair is so beautiful, I love the texture, I too texlax my hair in twists. Except I do large ones and I only do the new growth.

Keep up the good work. Your hair looks amazing.

Softresses

lovelymissyoli,
this product does not agree with everyone's hair mixing down your product might work better .. i have started from scratch after using this product my hair literally fell out. your hair looks great though.

bbdgirl

OMG your hair is so gorgeous!!!. I love it. I am glad that you didn't go bone straight. your texture is lovely. Good job

Blackrican

I think your hair looks great. You are the only one that has to do your hair, so ultimately, you did what was best for you. Plus, you kept it textured, which is still a tribute to ethnic women around the world.

:)

thesweetone

If I could be guaranteed to get those same results if I texturized my hair, I would cut off my relaxed hair and go natural this instant! Your hair is so beautiful! I really love the color that you put in. BEAUTIFUL!

Kacie

BUMP

Has anyone tried else tried texturizing natural hair using this twist method?
TIA

Lovely, your hair is beautiful.

Nazarite27

After being natural for two years, I decided to texturize/relax my hair on 10/18/2007.

I guess a couple of factors led to my decision, the main culprits being: knots and breakage. And as much as I loved shrinkage for two-strand twists, flat twists, braidouts and puffs, I think this was also another factor.

In the end, I made the decision to texturize and I have no regrets. I no longer see any broken hairs on my floor, which has been a major setback for me these past 5 months.

I was pretty scared at first because I know I didn’t want bone straight relaxed hair, so I made sure that I mixed a protein conditioner, some jojoba oil, and castor oil into the ORS relaxer that I used. I really didn’t research what relaxer to use, but the ORS (Organic Root Stimulator) seemed the best choice on that aisle in Target. In the end, I’m happy with my results. I texturized using a method I’ve never really heard anyone use before, but which made sense, and that was to apply the relaxer while my hair was still in twists. I guess you can call it laziness because I didn’t want to take these 3 week old twists down, or I was simply curious to see what might happen, but all in all, I think this method is a keeper.

I didn’t end up with too many straight ends…maybe 5-8…and my hair pretty much looks the same, minus my ends constantly breaking and the shrinkage…well sort of. Since I was really scared of the chemicals I did a few strand tests and found that a processing time of 5 minutes worked the best. Anything more (as you’ll see in my album) caused too much straightness.

We'll see how my hair fares in the upcoming months...

More pics are in my album, and the “how-to” folder is by password request only.

-lovelymissyoli

Wow! That's impressive!

Your hair really looks nice and healthy!