Age what do you think?

• Yes age plays a factor

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • No age doesn't play a factor

Votes: 53 55.8%
  • I don't know yet

Votes: 17 17.9%

• Total voters
I can only speak for myself. At 62 my hair is healthier, longer and happier than it's ever been. My Mom at 83 had a head full of hair. I think it depends on the person and how they take care of it. I have a sister at 71, who has very thin and short hair, but that's because she doesn't know how to take care of it. She would give herself relaxers, and never used protein :sad:. After I sent her pictures of my hair and growth, she was more interested in taking care of her hair, but thought it was too much trouble.

45 checking in...passion for healthy hair care is skrong in my family lol. My mother is 65 with natural BSB hair, my aunt 72 with natural full shoulder length, and my sister is 35 natural BSL and her puffs are colossal :yep: .

I don't think it has much to do with age, I think that it's more about knowledge. Yea, you've got to be at least mature enough to make the decision to take control of the health of your hair, but other than that I think your hair length, retention and discipline has to do with your level of personal commitment and how much you're willing to put into a HHJ. Overtime, as you learn more about your hair and hat it needs, I've found that you retain more and have to do less to it because you know what does and doesn't work.

I don't think it has much to do with age, I think that it's more about knowledge. Yea, you've got to be at least mature enough to make the decision to take control of the health of your hair, but other than that I think your hair length, retention and discipline has to do with your level of personal commitment and how much you're willing to put into a HHJ. Overtime, as you learn more about your hair and hat it needs, I've found that you retain more and have to do less to it because you know what does and doesn't work.

I so agree with you "its wisdom, not age” I prayed for it and got wisdom about what suited my hair best. @ 48 yrs of age, my hair has never been healthier, longer, or thicker. In addition "passion" whatever you’re passionate and persistent about has to produce a harvest.

I voted "age is a factor" only because at 46 with a family I just don't have the time to devote to hair care that I did in my 20's. I am natural now and my hair is as thick as it ever was and probably below bsl stretched but if it was still relaxed, best believe it would be a chewed up mess LOL!

This is a very good question & but I think its more so knowledge rather than age as well as a person desire to seek that knowledge. I know a couple of people that are content with never learning anything & being where they are in life but I know 10 times that amount that pursue knowledge to better themselves. The ones that seek to gain & retain knowledge may learn faster than those who don't. I didn't start my HHJ until about 5-6 months ago (I'm 31) but it wasn't due to age. It was due to wanting to learn better habits all around. My hair was pretty decent growing up but everytime I saw Nia Long or Halle Berry I cut it back down for me some spikes!!

**story time*** I remember at around 11 years old, seeing my cousin wash her hair with a bar of Irish Spring soap in our bathroom sink!!!! She was just rubbing & rubbing it in her hair like one of those commercials lolololol!! I couldn't understand for the life of me why on earth she was using body soap. When I asked her, she said because it was easier. How is it easier to walk over to the tub to get the bar of soap & walk back to the sink rather than reaching under the sink for the shampoo where you are already standing? **shrugs** I told her that might be why her hair looked extra rough & her ponytail stuck straight out like that. She looked like she had a head full of New Growth from roots to the ends!! :lachen: She started washing with shampoo after that. Imagine how much more longer she would have gone doing that had I not said something to her. I was young at that age but I knew good & well I wasn't supposed to be washing my hair with the Irish Spring!! She learned too at 10 years old that Irish Spring is not meant for hair.

I understand where you're coming from. I know that my body shape/general health and skin clarity required minimal effort when I was in my late teens and early 20s.

When I started pushing 30 is when I started to work at maintaining my skin, body, and... hair.

I'm 31 now. My hair's just as healthy and grows just as fast as it ever has but the health of it is not something I take for granted anymore.

Since I started my hair journey(Dec2012) aged 44 my family think Im some sort of alchemist.:grin:
Im always mixing and blending something for my hair.Then what I found is since I got serious about my hair growth it has had a knock on effect for upping my healthy eating, exercise etc.
I catch myself saving little tubs from fruit and other goodies I eat with the express purpose of mixing and blending something for my hair,nails etc.
I have told my Daughters and my Mum about this site and they are very encouraging and encouraged.
My Mum is 74 and has really taken to her new routine! She has started with the mixing n blending too! Its very contagious.Mums hair grows so quickly however she is seeking thicker hair.Its looking good already (she has been using Jamaican Castor Oil,sunflower and a dash of evoo on her edges and ends)
The other night my mum called me on the telephone.We speak every night. During our chat I could here a rustling noise.I asked what the noise was.Mum said " Oh Im just doing my pre poo with EVOO,what you can proberly hear is the shower cap!" :lachen:

Whatever I learn from you lovely ladies I am passing on.
What I want for myself..... I want for everyone.

Jax xx

Back