Airdrying/ Bunning question

musiclova

I just decided that for the summer I was going to airdry my hair in a bun after I wash and condition. I have healthy relaxed hair that is not relaxed bone straight due to my preference of still wanting some texture in my hair. But what I wanted to know is how does everybody restyle their hair the next day? Do you take the bun down and remoisturize then put it back in a bun or do you leave it in a bun until the next wash? I just want to know what is the best way to prevent damage/breakage while bunning/airdrying your hair for a while b/c I want to take a break from my blow dryer/flat iron routine. I would like to continue to achieve healthy hair growth/ends with this change in my hair styling routine. Any suggestions?

planodiva

Depending on how long it has been since my last relaxer. But typically I take my bun down each night and moisturize the ends. I don't sleep with the band in my hair so I don't have the tension pulling on my hair line.

When I wake the next morning I mix water and EVOO and pull my hair back into the bun. But after you air dry just finger comb until your next wash.

Some sistahs just leave the bun until the next wash but the tension from having my hair pulled up all day is too much for me.

wadadligyal

At night I do MizaniMami's baggie method with the roller. That way when I want to bun it again the next day my ends are moisturized.

Ms_Twana

For the past couple of days, I've worn a phony pony. I was able to protect my ends with a baggie, unlike with the bun. But for a bun, I would probably suggest taking it down everyday to at least check to see if your ends need to be moisturized. I loosened my ponytail up while I was home. Every other day or so, I remove the trouser sock (because that's what I use instead of a ponytail holder) and moisturize the area that it was in. I also just got the tip to put the ponytail holder (trouser sock in my case) in some type of oil before putting it on the hair. (Thanks Sistaslick;) ). Check out Sistaslick's new thread. She touched on bunning your hair while wet. Very informative. Anyway, HTH!!