Airdrying Issues...Help please

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
After I conditioner wash my hair...my hair feels soft and smooth but as soon it starts to dry it turns rough and dry. This happens even after I apply product to my hair. I probably experience most of my air breakage the day after CO. :mad: I tried roller setting with my 70% dry hair with my caruso rollers but that didn't work. How do I use the mesh rollers? Aren't they suppose to help with airdrying? Are there any other techniques that any of you ladies could share. I'm just getting really frustrated with my hair.:(

tryn2growmyhair

I also have hair drying issues but continue because I lose less hair than when I used to rollerset and sit under the dryer.

What has helped (a little) has been using UBH moisturizer and lots of oils -- I make my own pure mango butter/pure shea butter/oil concoction. And then I try to smooth the cuticle with a serum.

Also, I would suggest staying away from wire rollers when airdrying with them as they could make your ends crunchy. Consider using magnetic rollers instead. I have fine hair and the difference in textures of the rollers would make a big difference for me. Just my two cents.

I'd also love to hear from people who have airdried. What happens now is that my hair is often quite greasy but still feels a little hard/dry but its better than airdrying my hair without product and I'd rather have too much product than too little.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
thanks for tips. I have never used magnetic rollers before? This might sound slow but what makes them magentic..I've seen them before but they never really caught my eye.

Kalani

I have to load up my hair with conditioner when I air dry it otherwise its the same way! It wasn't always like that but years of relaxers, frolicking at the beach(lots of salt water and sun exposure), lots of manipulation and hair products, and past neglect its has become quite dry.
So if I'm not rollersetting it, I leave in a good amount of conditioner after washing and put in a little gel or sculpting lotion then let it air dry.
This works for me but I know everyone's hair is different.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
If you want to airdry your hair in magnetic or mesh rollers, its best to set your hair with rollers when your hair is soaking wet. Once your hair is set with rollers, then let it airdry. HTH!

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
I notice that alot of ladies do this but so I part through hair and put the rollers in or do I just gather sections with my hands and put them in while wet? The whole wet air and rollers is baffling to me??

pink_flower

Poohbear said:
If you want to airdry your hair in magnetic or mesh rollers, its best to set your hair with rollers when your hair is soaking wet. Once your hair is set with rollers, then let it airdry. HTH!

ITA! I use to air dry exclusively but now I rollerset and I have way less shedding and breakage. If I do airdry I use minimal product and smooth back into a ponytail when its about 75 % dry.

pink_flower

vikkisecret said:
I notice that alot of ladies do this but so I part through hair and put the rollers in or do I just gather sections with my hands and put them in while wet? The whole wet air and rollers is baffling to me??

Im kinda confused on what your asking.. But when I rollerset my hair is soaking wet and then I part sections and put the rollers in. Have you seen Bree's album? Thats how I do it, its not as neat but same concept. I also use snap on rollers, I can't get with the magnetic and clips. I am looking to get mesh rollers soon tho'

ETA: Caruso rollers dont work well for me on wet hair, my hair has to be completely dry for the curl to take.

Last edited:

blkmaryland

I use a leave-in; put my hair into six ponytails and coat with NTM serum. My hair doesn't act right if I just let it air-dry all over my head.

tryn2growmyhair

vikkisecret said:
thanks for tips. I have never used magnetic rollers before? This might sound slow but what makes them magentic..I've seen them before but they never really caught my eye.
They are smooth plastic rollers with holes in them. I prefer the ones that have extra holes as it helps the hair to dry faster. I honestly am not 100% why they are called magnetic. Again, my hair is really fine, so I am always scared to use the clamps that come with some of the rollers. I just use metal clips like the Dominicans do.

bajanplums1

After I rinse the conditioner and towel dry, I add a moisturizing leave in (i love rusk & purehair meadowfoam styling mousse), then I put it in magnetic rollers and pay special attention to the ends by adding a moisturizer (mango butter).

If I did not do this, the water will just evaporate out of my hair and my hair will be hard. Like if I took a shower and then did not use lotion for my skin.

Isis

Caruso rollers are only for hair that's already dry - not for damp hair (according to their directions).

I read that magnetic rollers are called that because the wet hair sticks to the rollers like a magnet.

I agree with Poohbear about rollersetting with hair soaking wet, then airdrying. The results will be soft, smooth, moisturized shiny curls or straight hair (depending on the roller size). Allandra said she uses and loves mesh rollers. I haven't tried those yet.

I use the ponytail rollerset method because it's easier for me. I make several ponytails with my soaking wet hair with a good leave-in conditioner and just a little oils applied to seal in all that moisture, and roll each ponytail taut all the way up with a magnetic roller and secure at the scalp with a metal roller pin. I make each ponytail using a safe Scunci Hair Hosiery band soaked in oil, but not too tight. This way the roots get "straightened" as the hair airdries.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
tryn2growmyhair said:
For those of you who rollerset like this, how long does it take for the hair to dry?
If I wash my hair around 7pm at night, it's dry by 7am in the morning. ;) So about 12 hours for me (I have fine textured hair).