Airdrying or rollerstting

OK, so if you can't tell I'm a newbie and I have a boatload of questions. :)

1 - If you airdry your hair, how does it look when it is dry? And what do you do to it to make it look like you want it to look? I did a co-wash last night and put it in a ponytail to dry. I took the ponytail down this morning to let it finish drying. It came out with a little wave/curl on the end cuz the ponytail got scrunched in my sleep. Well, as it is drying it looks a little frizzy/bushy on the ends. So what do I need to do to get it looking silky smooth?

2 - If you rollerset your hair, how do you wear it on a daily basis? How do you maintain your style? I rollerset my hair when I did my last touch up. And it turned out pretty decent. I fingered through the curls and they were a little wild. So I need to figure out how to tame them. I would like to wear my hair curly but I am not about rolling up my hair every night and sleeping on those hard a$$ rollers.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
1 - I have finally learned to airdry my hair pretty smooth using the ponytail method. I put NTM Silk Touch and Frizz Ease all over after I towel dry. Then I put WGO on the ends to keep them from getting frizzy. As the ponytail dries, I comb it and put a little more WGO on (a little goes a long way). Sometimes I put the ponytail on rollers or in a bun.

2- To keep my rollersets curly, I pin curl them at night. I can't sleep on hard rollers either. In the morning, I take the hair pins out and fluff to style.

Last edited:

CarLiTa

When you're airdrying, you have to make sure to have good leave-ins, the type that are going to smooth your hair down so it comes out nice. I use Rusk Smoother, b/c it leaves most parts of my hair looking like they've been blowdried or rollerset, and Giovanni Direct leave-in and/or Nexxus Headress. I either put my hair in a ponytail and let airdry for a while, and then take it out so that it can airdry loose and it comes out pretty soft.

When i'm far into the relaxer stretch though, that's when I have problems... Then, I just leave it in a pony, and i tie a satin scarf on it so that the new growth can lay down.

I usually just put the leave-ins on my ends as well and they come out smooth. Otherwise, I have some almond oil, rosemary oil, or EVOO that i could put on the ends, but tha's not that often.

I usually always comb out my rollersets although i want to experiment wearing them in curls.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
If you have time I would say stick with rollersetting or if your stretched then airdrying with leave-ins on damp hair. I put Olive Oil on my strands right after a shampoo and deep conditioning for a boost in moisturizing.

Lady_Lioness

wantlonghairagain said:
OK, so if you can't tell I'm a newbie and I have a boatload of questions. :)

1 - If you airdry your hair, how does it look when it is dry? And what do you do to it to make it look like you want it to look? I did a co-wash last night and put it in a ponytail to dry. I took the ponytail down this morning to let it finish drying. It came out with a little wave/curl on the end cuz the ponytail got scrunched in my sleep. Well, as it is drying it looks a little frizzy/bushy on the ends. So what do I need to do to get it looking silky smooth?

2 - If you rollerset your hair, how do you wear it on a daily basis? How do you maintain your style? I rollerset my hair when I did my last touch up. And it turned out pretty decent. I fingered through the curls and they were a little wild. So I need to figure out how to tame them. I would like to wear my hair curly but I am not about rolling up my hair every night and sleeping on those hard a$$ rollers.

1. When I airdry my hair...it always comes out straight...I use the ponytail method too...but b4 I put it up in a ponytail I use a creamy leave-in first on my wet hair...Did you use any type of leave-in b4 putting it up in a ponytail? I would also add magnetic rollers to the ends of my hair after it's in a ponytail...maybe you should try that to get it silky smooth.

2. Well for me after rollersetting...I usually wrap my hair to wear it straight...so I can't give you an answer on that.

I use Motions Nourish leave-in. I like it for detangling but I don't get the silky softness that I am looking for. That is why I am looking for a good cream leave-in as well. Also, I am learning that it would probably benefit me to put a little something extra on my ends. Rolling the ponytail would be a good option.

uofmpanther - Can you tell me how you pin curl your hair? I would love to learn how to do this.

blackbarbie

I rollerset weekly and only resort to airdrying when I an stretching my relaxers.(aftr 10 or 11 weeks)

I rollerset with liquid leave in (Infusium 23) as well as creamy leave ins (Rusk Smoother). After I take the rollers out, sometimes for the first few days I will wear a curly updo. Each night, I just do a loose bun and the next morning my hair is still full of curls. After the 2nd day is when I will wrap it every night. My rollersets usually come out really well.

As far as air drying, I have never attempted to air dry early on after a touch up since I always like my rollersets better. I air dry when my roots get a little too unmanageable to rollerset. I only once let it completely dry in a pony tail, but it wasn't really a pony tail since I made a wet bun (didn't want to put a scrunchie on it cause I didn't want the print) It took it about 3 days to completely dry and from it being swirled up in a bun, I had a flip on the end when I combed it out.....I liked it. The rest of the times when I airdry, I cw every 3 days and put my wet hair in a bun so when I take it down to cw again, it really is still damp....

Another thing don't know if you have considered but it is airdrying your rollersets! I am doing this as we speak and what I do is sit under the dryer for about 30 minutes and let the rollerset airdry the rest of the time (it probably won't be dry until the morning:look:), but I find that when I have done this, I have so much more body in my hair....

Last edited:

planodiva

uofmpanther - Can you tell me how you pin curl your hair? I would love to learn how to do this.[/QUOTE]

Pin curling you hair is really easy. All you do is section your hair and roll the individual sections around two fingers and secure with a bobby pin. Reminiscent of your mother creating bangs with vaseline and water. The hair stays in place and gives a nice curl. Same method. I use the large bobby pins to hold the pin curls in place. Depending on how much body/curl you want, the pin curls can vary in size

Lady_Lioness

wantlonghairagain said:
I use Motions Nourish leave-in. I like it for detangling but I don't get the silky softness that I am looking for. That is why I am looking for a good cream leave-in as well. Also, I am learning that it would probably benefit me to put a little something extra on my ends. Rolling the ponytail would be a good option.

I like using NTM silk-touch leave-in (it's a creamy leave-in)...You can purchase it at any drugstore and some bss may sell them too...I use both a liquid (for detangling) and a creamy leave-in (for softness & moisture) at the same time...

The magnetic rollers in my opinion...is a wonderful option...it gets your hair and ends silky smooth...but you definitely would need that creamy leave-in to achieve that look. HTHs

Thank you guys so much for your suggestions. I went to the BSS tonight and ended up getting the following products:
  • Africa's Best Organics Olive Oil Moisturizing Growth Lotion
  • Lustrasilk Placenta & Jojoba Oil Cholesterol
  • Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream
I'll be incorporating these products with the Motions products I have been using. I have the Motions Lavish Shampoo, Motions Neutralizing Shampoo, Motions Nourish Leave In, and Motions Silk Protein Conditioner. I plan to figure out a regimen and will begin tomorrow. Gotta get my hair looking right for Christmas. Hopefully I will be able to stick to it and see some progress.

CinnaMocha

I usually airdry my hair, then rollerset it. But that's b/c I don't use a setting lotion (now I am trying to find one that would work well and not dry my hair out). So what ends up happening for me is that I may have to roll my hair every 3 days so as not to lose the body. I think once I settle on a product, although I may the motions leave-in as a way to help, I should see a difference.

I like the Motions setting lotion. I get a nice firm curl, lots of body and its shiny. Once I add a really good leave-in I should blind somebody with the shine I'll have. :lol:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
planodiva said:
uofmpanther - Can you tell me how you pin curl your hair? I would love to learn how to do this.

Here is a website that gives a good pictorial explanation --> http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip6412.htm

First I use a bit of light oil. Then I use the tip my index finger to start the curl, instead of a rat tail comb. I wrap the end of the hair around my finger to create the inner circle and then I keep wrapping the hair around that to coninue making the circle bigger until I reach the root of the hair. Then I secure it with I bobby pin.

I hope this is clear. I have yet to start a fotki, so I don't have pics up. PM me if you have questions.

Tene

I just let my hair hang and airdry after I've put everything in it and then after it's dry I put some serum on it and clip it up.