ALL 8+ Week Stretchers..What 3-5 Products Help You Stretch A LONG, LONG Time?

chiconya

Aphogee Poo, 2 min reconstructor
neutrogena silk touch leave in
rusk smoother
chi silk infusion
virgin coconut oil

These products make my life easier and hair happier/healthier.

kami11213

I'm 11 wks post now stretching for 24 wks...

-Wks 1-12 I use a light moisturizer and nothing on my new growth. Usually NTM or HE LTR
-Wks 13+ I use a heavier moisturizer since I air dry mostly during that time, usually Nexxus Humectress
-JBCO for edges/roots
-Hot Oil treatments 1x a month
-Aphogee 2 min or ORS Hair Mayo w/ 1 egg for protein

Also, low manipulation is huge for me, I wash and DC once a wk and bun until my next wash after 13 wks post...

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm 11 wks post now stretching for 24 wks...

-Wks 1-12 I use a light moisturizer and nothing on my new growth. Usually NTM or HE LTR
-Wks 13+ I use a heavier moisturizer since I air dry mostly during that time, usually Nexxus Humectress
-JBCO for edges/roots
-Hot Oil treatments 1x a month
-Aphogee 2 min or ORS Hair Mayo w/ 1 egg for protein

Also, low manipulation is huge for me, I wash and DC once a wk and bun until my next wash after 13 wks post...

I Think the More You Do it, The Better You Get At Coming Up with A Detailed Regimen that Works.:yep:

I have found myself changing products & techniques as the weeks roll on.:spinning:

This time, (my 3rd stretch) I was better able to know exactly what my hair needed and at what point.

Khaiya

1. A shower comb, i dont know how i ever did without it!
2. CON in the green bottle, its a life saver! Bye-bye tangles and knots.
3. Protein condish - i have a few that i rotate
4. EVOO
5. Some good thick moisturizing condish like Silk Elements Cholesterol, i mixed some SAA in mine and it makes my hair feel SOOOO good, the front of my hair looks relaxed because of it, no fuzzies for me.

Last edited:

Cincysweetie

I am currently 20 weeks post-relaxer and I will likely go to at least 24, possibly even forever! I use to stretch my relaxer more often, 6 months and such but I've been out of practice for awhile, as I have been relaxing every 10-14 weeks for the past couple years. Well this past weekend provided me with a reality check about stretching. I have come to realize that for me and my head of hair, it's not so much about PRODUCTS but PRACTICES. If I don't follow certain procedures, it matters not what products I use. So aside from moisturizing and conditioning my hair while stretching (which can come in an variety of products) I have found that I have to do the following...

1. ALWAYS cover hair at night. ALWAYS. If not, it will go wild while I'm tossing and turning at night and become matted and tangled. It will also lose its moisture very quickly if left uncovered. Consequently, I moisturize and then cover every night.
2. Wash and detangle my hair in sections (using my fingers and a wide tooth comb). This past weekend I had to do about 12 sections all over my head b/c my hair was so matted and tangled. If I accurately care for my hair leading up to my wash day, I should only have to section into 4-5 parts.
3. Stay away from certain hairstyles- no more braidouts or twistouts past weeks 15/16. As much as I love them, they will lock my hair up in a minute. On top of that, the style doesn't hold moisture but for a couple days and so my hair gets extremely dry. As much as I hate heat, that's one way to go (just in moderation) along with buns and bantu knots.
4. Co wash and deep condition frequently. CO wash once/week if my hair gets dry but deep condition with every wash.

Those are my main ones that I can think of for now. I know I didn't quite answer the question but again for me, it's not about products so much but how I care for my hair. I may have more to add later as I continue this stretch!

cherryhair123

Coconut Oil (keeps new growth soft)
Aussie Moist and V05 Cheapie Cons (co-washes)
Rusk Smoothers Leave In (creamy leave-in,great at helping me detangle)
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
Aubrey Organics GPB or Aphogee 2min Reconstructor (mild protein)

Thank you for reminding me about Rusk Smoother, it does help with new growth.

A_Christian

1.) KeraCare Humecto Conditioner
2.) Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor
3.) Qhemet Burdock Root Butter

These products work very well for me in terms of keeping my new growth soft, strong and easy to manage. My last stretch was 33 weeks long. I would've stretched longer but every time I try to stretch for a year I end up having a major event to go to and get a touch-up to show out :lol:.

Great thread!

kami11213

I Think the More You Do it, The Better You Get At Coming Up with A Detailed Regimen that Works.:yep:

I have found myself changing products & techniques as the weeks roll on.:spinning:

This time, (my 3rd stretch) I was better able to know exactly what my hair needed and at what point.

So true, when I first started stretching I had no idea what products or routine would work for me. You have to play around w/ it and the more you do it the better your technique will be which may mean you can stretch longer. I started stretching only 8 wks at first, then 12 (barely) now I'm going for 24, my longest so for was 20 wks...

morehairplease

Mine (canned) was quite a bit "thicker" than regular Coconut Milk (actually more like the consistency of Eagle Brand Milk).

I applied it all over, massaged it in and put a Plastic Cap on for awhile 30 minutes to an hour (don't remember using any heat) and rinsed really well.

Hair was incredibly " super soft" but I wasn't many weeks post. Prolly about 4-6 weeks the time or two I used it.

I didn't use it very many weeks Post tho'. So now, I will try it again like about 10-12 weeks like the other poster suggested.:yep:
IDareT'sHair,
Do you mind me asking what brand your coconut cream is?
tia,
tishee

Babygurl

The products I CANT live without while stretching are:

Hawaiian Silky 14-n-1
Fantasia IC gel
Vo5 conditioners for co-washing (makes combing through my new growth super easy)
satin scarf
Proclaim Aloe and Shea for deep conditioning

Last edited:

AllAboutMoi

Silicon Mix
Lacio Lacio
Rusk Smoother
Aphogee Protein Treatment
Are my must haves.

I also have to use a sulfate free shampoo. I didnt know that until I tried one and then I noticed the difference.
And then something for daily moisture either coconut oil, Dove moisture therapy, or Seyani butter.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
Avocado butter mixed with oils, Rusk Smoother leave-in, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa, HE LTR leave-in.

tenderheaded

Currently 23 wks post. My saviors are:

Cold pressed castor oil ($6, 32 oz oilsbynature)
Hair One Olive Oil Cleanser
The incredible, edible egg:yep::yep::yep:

I pre poo with the egg mixed in hair mayo or Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Con. The egg helps my hair retain moisture longer.

The Hair One is left in for 30-60 min then rinsed thoroughly. My hair is VERY tightly coiled, and this lets me comb with minimal loss. This is by far my most successful stretch. I'm considering going to New Year's Eve if I have continued success!

Honi

There is no board.
Ayurveda rinses
Oil rinses with coconut oil (olive oil is too heavy for me)
AO White Camellia
AO GPB for strength
Shampoo bars – ng won’t draw up as much with these and makes both textures happy
Epsom salt rinses. A weak mix gives you really nice soft hair.
Hair one used on dry hair and then rinsed works better for me than the other way.

1) A Steamer-Deep Condition twice per week
2) Excellent Deep Conditioners-Silicon MIx, Alter Ego, ORS pak
3) A Satin Scarf
4) A good leave in-Elucence MB or Lacio Lacio
5) Adding a detangling step to my wash routine and doing so in sections

1. A shower comb, i dont know how i ever did without it!
2. CON in the green bottle, its a life saver! Bye-bye tangles and knots.
3. Protein condish - i have a few that i rotate
4. EVOO
5. Some good thick moisturizing condish like Silk Elements Cholesterol, i mixed some SAA in mine and it makes my hair feel SOOOO good, the front of my hair looks relaxed because of it, no fuzzies for me.

Oh yes the shower comb, can't detangle w/o it.

sunnieb

Subscribing...

I'm currently in week 6 of my very first 8 week stretch. I don't have any advice to give at this point, but I must be on the right track because I'm using alot of the methods everyone has mentioned. My ultimate goal is to be able to stretch for 6 months, but I'm just taking it one week at a time. :drunk:

Highly Favored8

I am 13 weeks post this week-
I am going for 30 weeks post. However, I am just working with my hair to see how long it can go
before I relax again.
JBCO-
Dudley-DRC- Thank you GymFreak.
daily scalp massages.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I'm almost 15 weeks post (planning to stretch for about 27 weeks). My necessary products are:

1. Shower comb. I use this daily.
2. Denman D3. I detangle fully with this every 3-4 days.
3. Sulfate free poo I use once a week.
4. Co washing daily and leaving the conditioner in.
5. I just found an excellent moisturizer in Afroveda's butters. I plan on using them for the rest of my stretch and until the end of time.
6. I almost forgot this one...Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm. I need to deep condition at least once a week.

Last edited: