ALL 8+ Week Stretchers..What 3-5 Products Help You Stretch A LONG, LONG Time?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Yes Ladies, I have been taking Notes! :user:

There are so many Great Ideas in This Thread and I saw alot of Commonalities amongst alot of us with Both Product and Technique. Didn't You???????

I also found so many Helpful "Tweaks" to get me through to 20+ Weeks. Taking Some of what I do already + what some of you are doing.

This Thread Contains Some Valuable Info for anybody that's just starting to Stretch and Those of Us who Wish to Stretch a Little Further!:yep:

Thanks For All Of Your Responses and Feedback! It is Most Appreciated.:up:

Coffee

I am at 9 weeks post and am trying for 10 this time. I use:

Sexy Hair Pumpkin condish
WEN
14n1
Steaming & DC 2x per week
Henna

I forgot my mixture of jbco, almond oil, coconut oil and olive oil.
I'm thinking of adding NTM to my stash.

I just ordered some of the Coconut Cream Concentrate plus they had a sale buy one get one free of Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil 32 oz which I use for cooking.

Last edited:

Stella B.

I'm loving this thread, thanks IDareT'sHair! I think I read every post and just wanted to say you ladies are giving some wonderful and useful advice and suggestions for stretching! Since I am now into my 8th month (WooHoo!!!) of my 1 year stretch, I will certainly be picking up on some of your advice in the future. I am learning lots about my hair. The first thing I learned was to listen to my hair, and to give it what it needs. My new growth is dryer, thicker, poofier, and way frizzier than it was 8 months ago.As my new growth gets longer, I will be tweaking, experimenting, and trying to give my hair what it needs. This is not an easy task, and I know the longer my new growth gets, the harder it will be to maintain. So thru trial and error, and experimenting, I have found a few products that work for me:

• coconut oil-for the hair and scalp
  • castor oil for the edges
  • henna/indian powders for cleansing, conditioning, and strengthening
  • moisturizers-water based. Water is the best natural moisturizer for the hair. Use it daily-your hair will thank you later:yep:
  • leave-ins that are light, creamy and water-based. You all know what my favorite leave-in is from my mane taming thread and video here:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=386130&highlight=mane+taming

• Roux porosity control after every shampoo,henna and DC
  • DC after every shampoo. Use a thick conditioner, or cholesterol, and apply it to the roots and new growth like a relaxer. Spread it on thick and deep, then get under a heat cap for 30 minutes.
This list is not product dependent, I believe more in processes than specific products. The products are just tools to get you there. Everyone's hair is different, and everyone's hair responds differently to every product. Being able to experiment, and stay encouraged is important. Have the courage to move on if something is not working for you. You gotta enjoy the journey!:drunk:
I recently added these products/procedures to my routine around the sixth month to help with tangles and knots:

• pure olive oil pre-poo-great for NG
  • shampooing in braided sections using an applicator bottle filled with diluted shampoo to really get down close to the roots
  • Patience-when tangles occur, try to unknot them by pulling straight up and out on individual hairs, strand by strand
  • shampooing every 10 days instead of every week-less manipulation
While nothing will get that new growth straight like pressing, or perming, as long as you're consistent with your routine, and keeping the hair moisturized and conditioned daily in between shampoos, you will have softer, more manageable hair. I love new growth, because it means your hair is growing!!!!! The goal is to learn how to keep the NG soft and manageable with the right products and tons of TLC!

Last edited:

aquajoyice

I will be 20 weeks Sept 2nd this is my first stretch past 8weeks. It's been trial and error but I noticed my relaxed and natural hair loves natural products.
Conditioners:
-Mixture of Honey, EVOO, Coconut, egg(if doing protien treatment)
-Garnier Fructris Melting Mask conditioner in Moisture or Strength and repair
Co-Wash:
-VO5 Moisture Milk Strawberry & cream
Shampoo
-CON green label
Moisturizer:
-my mixture with Shea Butter Unrefined and oils

The big thing is low manipulation, detangling and moisture.. it's really as simple as that.

sharifeh

By the way, I really need to try out this s-curl product, it seems to be a staple for so many...
Can anyone post the ingredients?

Msmia

I have found that my hair loves:

EVOO pre-poos, added to deep conditioner and sealing ends (it makes my hair much more manageable)

John Freida Clear Hair Glaze (once again makes my hair much more manageable)

Roux Porosity Control Conditioner after every shampoo, and mixed with deep conditioner

Elasta QP H2O Leave In (I think my hair prefers watery leave ins versus creamy Lacio Lacio and LTR did nothing for me)

Biweekly Reconstructor treatments

Biweekly ORS Replenishing Pak

Low manipulation

shasha8685

AO HSR

ORS Replenishing

Roux Porosity Control

Jilbere Shower Comb

These 4 things are all I really need.....:yep:

sylver2

most important for me was having my hair detangled and parted before i even got out of shower..with lots of conditioner and shower comb.
soon as i get out-lots of creamy leave in-Rusk smoother
fine tooth comb to keep my wet new growth straight and then dry like that under satin scarf.
ntm silk touch to moisturize and keep my NG smooth, flat.
jojoba oil to keep soft.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

Mine is a Blue Tropical Island Looking Can with Palm Trees, Sand etc...similar but no, not that exact Can.

My Suggestion would be to go to the Grocer and pick up a Can of Coconut Cream Concentrate (it wasn't that hard to find) at the Grocery or a Health Food Store. Whole Foods/Trader Joe's/Kroger's/Giant Eagle/Wal-Mart have it, I'm sure. It's only about 2 bucks and some change.

I'd do that before buying it on Amazon (and paying for shipping).:yep:

haitiancutie

I know you guys suggested S-Curl but I was wondering how you guys use it: do you just spray the NG or do you spray the whole head?? I was wondering because it activates curls and was wondering how that goes for relaxed heads?? TIA!!

WantNatural

I tried S-curl for the first time last night, and I sprayed it directly to my new growth. Ahhh....it literally melted my new growth, and I have 2.5 inches of super coily NG that at the end of the night is a dry, puffy mess. I also sprayed the length of my hair and topped it with Afroveda Cocolatte Mask. My hair was so soft and moisturized this morning!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I tried S-curl for the first time last night, and I sprayed it directly to my new growth. Ahhh....it literally melted my new growth, and I have 2.5 inches of super coily NG that at the end of the night is a dry, puffy mess. I also sprayed the length of my hair and topped it with Afroveda Cocolatte Mask. My hair was so soft and moisturized this morning!

Great! Thanks Girl. I am Definitely getting me some.:yep:

Wondering....What week "post" are you?:look:

WantNatural

Great! Thanks Girl. I am Definitely getting me some.:yep:

Wondering....What week "post" are you?:look:

I am 21.5 weeks post. I'm transitioning and I've never even stretched before! I'm also new to my HHJ so I'm learning all kinds of stuff. I resisted the S-curl at first even though we use it for my 2 year old son, but that stuff is THE TRUTH!!! (Still need something to work on these crazy edges though...)

scoobygirl

WEN has been a real hair saver for me. Since it's kind of expensive, I try to stretch it out by alternating washes with a cheap poo & conditioner. The closer I get to touch up time, the more frequently I do my WEN washes. However, the last couple of bottles I got don't feel quite the same.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Yep, It Seems that:

WEN
JBCO
Aussie Moist
S-Curl
Elasta QP Mango Butter
ORS Replenishing Packs
Coconut Oils, Creams, Milks
Shower Combs
Various Detangling Products
Co-Washing
Henna
Jane Carter
Qhemet
AO GPB

Are All Some of the Common Stretching Favs!:grin:

Traycee

Hair One ( A Serious Must)
100% Aloe Vera for edges
Roux Porosity Conditioner every week
Mane n Tail Detangler
Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment
Silk Elements MegaSilk Intense Mayonnaise(very Light protein)
V05 Moisture Milks and Mane n Tail Original for co-washes

irsgirl

This is my first post. I have been lurking on the site since October 2008. I just got up the nerve to reply to a post. I have fine 4a/4b hair and I have also stretched my relaxers 12-16 weeks, but never know how to care for it to keep it from breaking and I trim it. Since coming to the boards I learned that my hair loves a weekly light protein and moisture treatment. I wash once a week with a moisture shampoo (cream of nature) and condition with organix light protein treatment. I air dry and then apply 14-1 to the entire strand and bun until the next wash. My next stretch is going to be 24 weeks I am only 5 weeks post. I pray that I can do it.

hairdrama:{

Excellent question...:yep:

Couldn’t stay in the 3 – 5 range………:look:……., but these are the products that help me:

Hair One (Olive Oil)
Lacio Lacio
Silicon Mix Conditioner
La Plancha Conditioner
CON Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo
CON Detangling Conditioning Shampoo
Pantene Detangling Light Conditioning Mist
Coconut Oil rinses

loved

Hair One ( A Serious Must)
100% Aloe Vera for edges
Roux Porosity Conditioner every week
Mane n Tail Detangler
Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment
Silk Elements MegaSilk Intense Mayonnaise(very Light protein)
V05 Moisture Milks and Mane n Tail Original for co-washes

What type of product is Hair One? Conditioner, leave-in, etc.,?

OT: Your hair is beautiful!

isabella09

This is my first post. I have been lurking on the site since October 2008. I just got up the nerve to reply to a post. I have fine 4a/4b hair and I have also stretched my relaxers 12-16 weeks, but never know how to care for it to keep it from breaking and I trim it. Since coming to the boards I learned that my hair loves a weekly light protein and moisture treatment. I wash once a week with a moisture shampoo (cream of nature) and condition with organix light protein treatment. I air dry and then apply 14-1 to the entire strand and bun until the next wash. My next stretch is going to be 24 weeks I am only 5 weeks post. I pray that I can do it.
:welcome: to the forum. Great first post :)

beans4reezy

Hairveda Whipped Ends Hydration (softens NG)
Stasoft Fro
Black Castor Oil
Co washes with V05 Moisture Milks Line
Fake Hair (Because you get to a point where any more manipulation is just not an option).

Aspire

:nicethread: subscribing . . . .

Still learning, but for me . . .
- AOHR as a DC on dry hair or mixed with . . .
- Brahmi/Kalpi Tone/Amla powders
- Co wash w/Rusk Calm
- Castor Oil (pharm or JBCO)

Will try the SC though on NG since my hair dries out quickly. Sounds like a winner.