ALL 8+ Week Stretchers..What 3-5 Products Help You Stretch A LONG, LONG Time?

Traycee

What type of product is Hair One? Conditioner, leave-in, etc.,?

OT: Your hair is beautiful!

Thanks....Hair One is Sallys version of Wen....It is a conditioning cleansing system....Basically a conditioner that cleans your hair and scalp...No suds...The conditioner can also be used as a leave in ...But I havent tried it that way yet

Highly Favored8

I am currently over 7 months into my year long relaxer stretch and I had a really hard time when I got to 5 months into it, then I decided to get proactive and do something about it.

The Things that Helped Me Stretch and Keep My New Growth In Tact Are:

1) Hot Oil treatments - the oils I found favorable are extra virgin olive oil and sweet almond oil. This is done sometimes before shampooing and sometimes after shampooing mixed in with my DC.

2) I also use a reconstructor weekly mostly as a prepoo on dry hair mixed with Lily Of The Desert Aloe Vera gel with heat for 20 - 30 minutes. It seems to work better for me this way because I don't have to manipulate it too much afterwards. I simply poo lightly then DC.

3) I find that shampooing less works for me as well. I shampoo about 2-3 times a month now and one of those would be a clarifying poo. I realize now though that I don't have to use a clarifying poo that often anymore because I have drastically reduced the usage of the amount of products with cones and parabens in them. I may have to stretch my clarifying to every 5 or 6 weeks for now.

4) I have also been coating my hair with oil and/or conditioner and adding a little natural oil to the shampoo before washing my hair. Wow, this is truly amazing and greatly reduces any stripping/drying feeling to my hair by the shampoo, especially natural shampoos which does make hair feel a little stripping.

5) Henna'ing my hair once every 3-4 weeks (except when I'm in extension braids) has also greatly loosen up my hair's curl pattern. Simply wonderful.

6) I deep condition with heat after every wash with a super moisturizing deep conditioner at least once every 7-10 days. I would do a moisturizing co-wash within that time frame as well. My new co-wash loves are Aussie Moist Conditioner and Pantene Nature Fusion Moisturizing conditioner.

Now you understand why I still have to use a clarifying shampoo every once in a while. Some things I just can't seem to give up:grin:. I will have to replace them sooner or later though with something a bit more natural and it will have to be with Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner of course. I really love this conditioner:lick:.

7) Like Terri, I lightly use a creamy leave-in and thanks to her, my new leave-in loves are Alba Botanica leave in and Beauty Without Cruelty (BWC) Revitalizing leave in. I also use Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner as a leave-in:lick:.

8) Daily moisturizing with BWC leave-in, for example, and sealing with extra virgin coconut oil helps a great deal.

Oh I have to add this: The BWC Revitalizing leave in makes an excellent detangler. It made detangling a breeze for me AFTER my hair air-dries. I just section off my hair a little at a time, add the leave-in, work through with my fingers and I could literally feel my hair softening under my fingers and as a result, it is now a staple. Try it!

What Products or Special Secret Recipe Helped You Endure a 8, 10, 12, 14, 20, 6 Months, A Year Stretch???

Already mentioned above but I have also been protective styling my hair via extension braids and wigs which have been extremely instrumental in my ability to get as far as I am right now.

My special recipe- I am currently 13 weeks post

2 tbs of EVOO
2 tbs of Coconut oil
2 tbs of JBCO
4 drops of Patience Hair oil

I mix them all in a bowl. Part my hair in 4 sections and I add this in my hair from root to tip I massage it in my hair at the same time then I sit under my hair dryer for 20 mins rinse out in shower then I get ready to style.

haitiancutie

I just tried S-Curl on my NG last night...and DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!! :bouncy:

This stuff just MELTED my NG and that, along with Mane n' Tail Detangler, made combing my 9 week post hair a breeze. Definitely a stretching keeper. :yep:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
:nicethread: subscribing . . . .

Good! I 'm glad you are learning some new techniques to help you improve your Stretch!

I just tried S-Curl on my NG last night...and DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!! :bouncy:

This stuff just MELTED my NG and that, along with Mane n' Tail Detangler, made combing my 9 week post hair a breeze. Definitely a stretching keeper. :yep:

Great! So Happy it worked for you. Now I gotta get Mine.:look:

Lovestyr

I am only 7 weeks post right now but I am going for 24 weeks and I just tried the Joico Kpak line and I am in loveee. My ng is so softtt so i think this will help me achieve my goal.

sharifeh

I bought s-curl because of this thread and so far(like 3 or 4 days lol) it has been working wonderfully!
Thanks girls!!

Ruby True

Hi I'm new to the board.:woot:
This is my first stretch and tomorrow I will be eight weeks post:grin:. Its hard to list only five products. I did my first henna yesterday and it did relax my curl:spinning: My hair feels thick and strong. I cowash with HE hydralicious :ohwell:. I use Morocan Oil intense hydrating mask, restorative hair mask and morrocan oil. ORS every week. Oh yea and S-curl for moisture.

I have learned so much from you guys and I am glad I joined the sisterhood of the HHJ.:bighug:

sharifeh

out of curiosity how much and how did you use it?
did you spray it directly on your hair or did you use it on your hand first?

SistaSista

I love this thread. Thank you everyone for sharing your tips. I'm only four weeks post so I still have time to get my stretch regi together. This will be my first stretch and I plan to stretch for ten weeks.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Thanks for Bumping, For me I think it has been:

1) Co-Washing/Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatments w/Heat
2) Incorporating a weekly light protein or reconstructor
3) JBCO
4) Keeping NG Saturated with something Creamy/then Sealing w/Oil
5) PS (this winter I have been Wigging it) and may continue throughout the Fall *if I can stand it*

nymane

Silicon Mix
Suave Naturals Conditioners for pre-poos & VO5 for co-washing
Darcy's Botanicals Transitioning Creme (daily moisturizer)
Aphogee 2-step
Wide Tooth Comb (Jilbere)
Lacio Lacio for roller sets (currently 18 weeks post and it keeps my ng moisturized for 6 days! No breakage and soft hair, amazing...I slept on this for too long)

Last edited:

Americka

Great Thread, T!

• Castor Oil
  • Moisturizer (NTM Leave In or JFM w/ SAA mixed in)
  • Lustrasilk Cholesterol (SB w/Mango)
  • Pantene Beautiful Lengths conditioner
  • Coconut Oil

Only six months later and this list has changed:

• Castor Oil/JBCO Pomade
  • Skala Shea Butter Leave In
  • Hollywood Beauty Castor oil
  • Deep Conditioners with heat (Skala Masque, La Plancha, Baba de Caracol)
  • Porosity Control Conditioner

Bouncin&Behavin

:cupidarrow::cupidarrow: Loving this thread ladies!!!

I am 15 weeks post. I'm still learning, but so far, what has helped me is:

1. Co-washing at least once (mostly twice) a week. I can roughly comb through my hair when I use SE Mega Cholesterol (under running water of course). NO hair in the comb. I also like Pantene R&N Breakage Defense and their Moisturizing Conditioner

2. Glycerin/water spritz

3. Adding EVOO to my deep conditioners. I LOVE ORS Replenishing Pak & AO Honeysuckle Rose

4. MN & JBCO on my scalp. This combo makes my new growth soft!

angellike

a scarf, to tie my wet hair down
fantasia gel (the blue one)- for my edges
herbal essence LTR leave-in
coconut oil

ellehair

i came back to repost. im a scurl junkie now for stretching moisturizing etc.. I mix mine with water though its a little too heavy for me alone..

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
  • A moisturizing spray leave-ins: S-curl and Taliah Waajid protective mist

• Oils, particularly ceramide oils for pre-poos and sealing: keeps NG soft, reduces tangles and NG shrinkage

• Elasta QP mango butter - moisturizes and slicks down NG and edges.

• HE LTR leave-in - same as above

• Protein reconstructors (Aphogee 2min, Aphogee 2 step, Alfaparf rigen) keeps relaxed hair strong.

• Mosturizing DCs every wash like AOWC, ORS replenising and Taliah Waajid herbal condish

• Roux porosity control - great detangler and helps keep porosity in check

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I am going to have to get some s curl :grin: I am 8 weeks post today and i am trying to go 16 weeks at least

I tried it. Didn't like it. It was the smell of it or something and I didn't like and it's sticky. You may have to cut it.

And to think I used this when I had a California Curl years ago! :look:

LushLox

I've found that I absolute LOVE natural products, so I'll be incorporating them completely into my regi. I'll be doing a lot more pre poos now using ceramide rich oils.

MissMusic

I stretch for 6 months:

1. Wheat Germ Oil: Best detangler ever
2. Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner (Pak): Melts tangles and moisturizes the bajeezus out of my hair.
3. Elasta QP Mango Butter: Never fails to moisturize
4. Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier: Great for keeping my growth happy all week long, I use this as a leave in, to Moisturize or to manipulate my hair mid-week
5. Hercules Sagemann Hard Combs: Hard Rubber/Bone combs really make a difference

Last edited:

n_vizion

I going into my fourth month of stretching. What really works for me is investing lots of time and love into my pre-poo and deep conditioning. Not so much the product but making sure I take the time to apply evenly all over the hair so areas of damage do not start to appear. One product that I will never be without is my Gleau Nourishing Argan Oil blend. It softens my hair like noneother and keeps the strands supple so I can handle the two different textures better.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
*cough* Great Thread!

Don't sleep on Darcy Botanicals Transitioning Hair Cream *great for Relaxed Hair*
Hairveda Whipped Ends
Oils like JBCO
Deep Conditioners with a Splash of Oil