All members should pay attention to the announcement posted above

KnottyGurl

No offense Lady Raider (really :yep:) but if the mods aren't sending out special announcements and other members aren't complaining or having any problems, why did you feel the need to create a threat emphasizing it? Or maybe I missed something. Thanks.

I like the links that I've found to blogs and personal websites. They've helped alot and kind of expands LHCF as a source of information. It doesn't make me want to abandon LHCF, it just makes me appreciate it more. If they take that away, then :nono: *sigh* Now, if you're advertising Noni juice or something in your siggy :lol: then yeah, you need to kill that.

ETA: Nevermind Lady Raider. I been checked :lol:

Last edited:

JustKiya

Where did this announcement come from? Was it in an email? Did I miss something?

No offense Lady Raider (really :yep:) but if the mods aren't sending out special announcements and other members aren't complaining or having any problems, why did you feel the need to create a threat emphasizing it? Or maybe I missed something. Thanks.

It's amazing how many folks have missed the BIG OLD RED ANNOUNCEMENT that tops every forum. :look:

Maybe a PM to each member would be better as far as notifications, or something.... :lol:

dachsies_rule!

I saw that announcement and i hope my siggy isn't too big...this is as small as i can get this pikistrip and still see the photos.

CurlTalk

Oh...I just saw it. Havent paid attention to the red bar because its been asking me if I twitter for weeks.

KnottyGurl

I shole did miss it! Yeah, they need to PM me. :lol: My eyes go straight to the first thread of the forum. That's it, the end :yep: But then again, I don't really do anything for them to ban me about so I'll let them folks who do keep worrying.:ohwell:
Thanks for letting me know though. This will just help me figure out why so many of you disappeared.:lachen:

ETA: I know why I missed it now. I have my Subscribed Threads page bookmarked. That's how I navigate to and on this site. On the Subscribed Threads page (as well as iSpy and I'm sure other pages), there are clearly no red announcement bars at the top of the page. So I can see how some people could miss it. It's not posted everywhere as some of you would like to have us think.

It's amazing how many folks have missed the BIG OLD RED ANNOUNCEMENT that tops every forum. :look:

Maybe a PM to each member would be better as far as notifications, or something.... :lol:

Last edited:

Bluetopia

lol... ppl use their fotki's for advertising purposes too. so that ONLY fotki rule is laughable. i wonder bout folks counters in their siggies. counting the days til their kid is born or how long they've transitioned or how many pounds they've lost.

OT: You're funny :giggle:

but your kitty sig kinda scares me. :nono:

CurlTalk

Thanks to the OP for reposting something of issue to many members.
This was a very important announcement, as it could result in the banning of paying subscribers without refund, and it should have been PM'd to people or posted as a new sticky, or some relayed in some method other than a method that constantly contains not-so-important updates (People aren't exactly looking for updates regarding their paid membership in a bar that asks 'Do you twitter?' for weeks on end).
So thank you OP, because, honestly, without your repost, I may not have seen the update.

ILYandY

I took notice when the announcement was made however I find the rules to be conflicting concerning the advertising rule, because I don't think it is fair to the LHCF paying members who have businesses to have to pay an additional fee to advertise when members have posted business links to other companies giving them big business.

For an example the thread regarding the pibbs deal: I'm sure they made a whole lot of money from that thread. And what about Sally's and Trade Secret Sales threads. Paying members of LHCF don't make the same money as those companies do and may never will.

cutiebe2

Why is it no matter how I try to edit my siggy it tell me I can only have 5 lines? Even when I make it 5 lines :wallbash:

robot.

Even those counters and trackers in people's sigs links to another site, so I don't see why that would be "kosher." :ohwell:

chelleypie810

I was gonna say this whole forum is a walking advertisement. Not me personally but i know there are a whole bunch of people that buy up stores and products because of this forum..but I guess there's just going to be a whole bunch of blog role call and youtube role call threads now. Yea and my whole siggy went poof and i'm too lazy to do another one.

Mz.MoMo5235

i didnt even now to click on the red blinky thing til this thread popped up. like others have said, it was talking about twitter before so i thought that it was and advertisement like the "ads by google" that's up there too... who woulda thunk?!

Mz.MoMo5235

i'mma leave my siggy alone. other siggys went poof so if they dont like mine they can poof it too WITH OUT INTERRUPTING MY SUBSCRIPTION PLEASE AND THANK YOU :)

i'm just saying lol, if it goes poof i just wont put it back.

Solitude

This is interesting....

I haven't found any member-posted links on this site to be as offensive as the picture of lady in the bikini that showed up in the sidebar for months. I hated that ad and it was a sponsored LHCF ad :-/

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
how do you know if your siggy pic is too big? i think mine is an ok size but if it is too big will some one tell you before you are banned from having a siggy?

Nikos posted the guidelines in bright red. Click your home button and select a forum you typically use.

He indicates in the post that if your signature is more than 1/4 of your internet browser page, it's too big.

He lays out the rules plain and simple.

Attachments

• LHCF Guideline on Siggys.JPG
    LHCF Guideline on Siggys.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
Clarification on the announcement:

Advertisements are not allowed anywhere in the forum (posts or signatures) unless authorized or unless you have a seller account. Examples:

Come join my AVON shop, I have found the Iwillbecomeamillionairebyjustbrowsingtheweb website, come join my personal blog, come join my new facebook like website.

The same applies to your signature. No ads whatsoever. If you need to share information with other members that exists in other websites you can do so by either copying and pasting the content here (preferred method) or providing a link to that site. You MUST know that the owner of the content allows you to post content here otherwise you might be infringing on copyright.

You also are not allowed to provide links to websites/blogs that are operated by others so as the other party can gain from our traffic. I understand that this is a really grey area and it is difficult to 'police' this. We do not want to stop the links to other sites. This will remove a lot of value from our members and the information source that our community has.

I leave this to your discretion as to what can be linked and what not. Two examples I can bring:

I post a link to CNN about a recent event that affects us all - this one is OK.
I post a link to a personal blog (mine or a friends) which has ads thereby driving traffic to that site from ours - this one is not allowed.

Again, links in the forum are a very grey area and I would appreciate it if you do not abuse it. So far there have been only a couple of instances that I had to ban people for advertising in posts. Recently an ex-member posted the same message in all forums - come join my social network.

Out of the members that have been banned, only one was reinstated since the script did not accurately assess her signature. The rest of them will join us in 7-10 days.

As we continue assessing signatures, if you have links to personal sites, pyramid schemes etc. please remove them. If your signature is big it will be deleted.

I hope this helps a bit more.

When in doubt: ASK!

I do not have my PMs enabled so if you want to ask something either do so in the Suggestions board or open a ticket in the support area.

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
OMG does that include Pikistrips cause mine just disappeared? Like poof!

Yours disappeared because it was too big. If you shrink it it will be fine. Again the rule of thumb in signature sizes:

Look at the HEIGHT of your browser (visible window). Divide that by 4 and if your signature occupies more than 1/4th of that window it is too big.

Take advantage of colors, smaller fonts, put more information in one line. You can get a lot more in this way. Remember that tickers occupy a lot of screen. A ticker and a pikistrip will get you easily over the limit.

HTH

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
lol... ppl use their fotki's for advertising purposes too. so that ONLY fotki rule is laughable. i wonder bout folks counters in their siggies. counting the days til their kid is born or how long they've transitioned or how many pounds they've lost.

We allowed Fotki (and Google's Picasa as well as one more picture based site) since we had fotki since the beginning of the forum. Now we are not going to go and check everyone's fotki link in their signature but bare in mind that whoever clicks on a fotki link we can record it. The more clicks one gets the more traffic they get. If that traffic is targeted to a site that does advertise then the person will be banned.

Simple enough?

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
I remember posts in the past entitled "Blog Roll Calls" or "Favorite sites for hair care products" or "favorite fashion blogs" and so forth...were all those people banned? I'm a bit confused, can a Moderator please chime in or PM me...I read the rules and i never saw anything about blog restrictions. I saw NO SOLICITING.

Those posts are welcome and are not considered soliciting. If however someone goes and posts links to pyramid schemes, links with referrer, links to personal sites that have ads or profit making schemes then that will not be allowed.

Check the history of the forum and you will see that throughout the 5 million posts we have, we never removed posts like those.

HTH

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
So, if my blog doesn't have any ads, I should be okay. Right?

If it is the blog that you have (if you have) here in LHCF then it is fine. If the blog is outside this site no. We cannot check everyone's blog. Your blog might be fine but someone else (like one member in this topic pointed out) can have profit making material. This results to advertisement.

It is a grey area and it is kind of a harsh rule but this has been in the rules for years now - we let this to the discretion of the members but lately it has blown out of proportion.

Notable is a ticket I received from a banned member who had a 'HOW TO MAKE MORE MONEY' link in her signature, inquiring why she was banned...

BostonMaria

Question - if someone decides to pay the extra fee in order to promote their product or blog, will the membership look "different" than anyone else's? Will your profile look like anyone else's? Just asking.

robot.

If it is the blog that you have (if you have) here in LHCF then it is fine. If the blog is outside this site no. We cannot check everyone's blog. Your blog might be fine but someone else (like one member in this topic pointed out) can have profit making material. This results to advertisement.

It is a grey area and it is kind of a harsh rule but this has been in the rules for years now - we let this to the discretion of the members but lately it has blown out of proportion.

Notable is a ticket I received from a banned member who had a 'HOW TO MAKE MORE MONEY' link in her signature, inquiring why she was banned...

Just like you said you can't check everyone's fotki, but you didn't automatically rule those out. IMO, if blogs aren't allowed, neither should be fotki links. You don't know where either could take you.