Almost first time btk user

sizzle

I don't post often but am impressed by the knowledge base of many of the ladies on this site. I have read most of the btk threads which have been very helpful.

I am natural 4b/4c thin strands and the hair has become quite unmanageable. I used the Designer transitioning mousse which gave me some manageability but I need my hair to be a little more like 2b/3C especially when I go on vacation and swim a lot.

I bought Marcia Teixeria chocolate off Ebay which I want to apply myself since I am afraid of the excessive heat in the salons. Since I don't want my hair too straight, should I leave it in for the complete 4 days before washing it out or can I wash out sooner and still get good results? Another thing, when I reapply in a few months, do I only apply to the new growth? I really appreciate your input.

Dove56

sizzle

It will be difficult for 4b/c hair to get straight with the treatment. I would leave it in for the entire 4 days then wash it out. The reason I say this is because you say you swim a lot.

Salt water and/or chlorine will break the treatment down so you want to make sure you leave it in for the full duration because it will just wear off that much quicker if you don't. Also, before you go into the water make sure you wet your hair and apply conditioner so you don't break the treatment unnecessarily.

When you reapply look at your hair and determine if your hair needs the treatment allover again or if you need to apply to just the roots. I have done both before.

When I used QOD Max Orqaniq I initially applied it from root to tip. On a follow-up treatment I only did the roots. The 3rd time I determined it was time to do root-to-tip again but minimize the passes on the length and concentrate on the roots. BKT's can give very different results on different people. No two treatments are alike sometimes even on the same head of hair.:yep:

Please be mindful of the fact that your hair is fine. In fact, to err on the side of caution I would do a patch test and watch the integrity of the hair for at least a month. Fine 4b/4c is very tricky to deal with when you are applying high heat. Make sure you modify your heat and number of passes. Doing a test spot will help you gauge just how much heat and how many passes you need to get the desired look!

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Dove56 Do you think the QOD Max Organiq would get a type 4 straight?

I know you didnt ask me but it can. Edise had it make her hair bone straight but shw was using MT before that and decied to switch. Otherwise most people (myself included) have kept their curl with qod

SuchaLady

Napp so the Organiq would allow my hair to remain straight and revert once it has worn off? I just need to start PMing you about my BKT questions :lol: :look:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Napp so the Organiq would allow my hair to remain straight and revert once it has worn off? I just need to start PMing you about my BKT questions :lol: :look:

LOL

Basically it is possible but is it likely, no it isnt. I think what happened to her was a freak accident. that is why its important to do a strand test when trying a new bkt.

here is the link. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=605931

if you want straight hair and fomaldehyde free you might want to look into trying something targeted for afro textured hair. Inoar afro is one that comes to mind.

SuchaLady

Napp Hmmm that may be exactly what I'm looking for :scratchch: Im gonna go read some reviews. If people say their hair reverted months down the line I'm whipping out the debit card :look:

LOL

Basically it is possible but is it likely, no it isnt. I think what happened to her was a freak accident. that is why its important to do a strand test when trying a new bkt.

here is the link. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=605931

if you want straight hair and fomaldehyde free you might want to look into trying something targeted for afro textured hair. Inoar afro is one that comes to mind.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Napp Hmmm that may be exactly what I'm looking for :scratchch: Im gonna go read some reviews. If people say their hair reverted months down the line I'm whipping out the debit card :look:
let me know if you do...... im thinking of going back to it. i liked the results when i washed it out.

Dove56

Dove56 Do you think the QOD Max Organiq would get a type 4 straight?

It could. I think it's like Napp mentioned, anything is possible. I don't think it's likely but definitely possible. I think Edise left the treatment in for a week or something but none-the-less her hair was still straight!

I always used the method that biancaelyse used on her daughters. One of her daughters has type 2 hair and the other has 3c hair. She uses under 400 degrees and only 2 passes and her daugher's hair always reverted back. I did that and retained my curl pattern.

With the traditional method of 5-7 passes and the traditional BKT (QOD Organiq is a new generation treatment that uses cysteine) I always ended up with straight hair which is why I lurve Design Essentials Transitioning Mousse now. I get the best of both worlds.:yep:

SuchaLady

Thanks Dove56 Im going to do some more research. If people say their curls came back/fully reverted using the Inoar Napp suggested I am definitely going with that option. :yep: You all were helpful.

sizzle

Thanks Dove56 for responding to my question! Your advice is very prudent.
I am really terrified about losing too much of my curls with MT chocolate, however, I don't think I can wait on the test patch for a month...I am really chomping at the bit to have more manageable hair. I intend to go real easy on the heat -- use 360 degrees max on the flat iron and come back and share my results.

Please wish me luck. I welcome any other tips since it is clear that I am forging ahead.

Dove56

Thanks Dove56 for responding to my question! Your advice is very prudent.
I am really terrified about losing too much of my curls with MT chocolate, however, I don't think I can wait on the test patch for a month...I am really chomping at the bit to have more manageable hair. I intend to go real easy on the heat -- use 360 degrees max on the flat iron and come back and share my results.

Please wish me luck. I welcome any other tips since it is clear that I am forging ahead.

Be careful! Can you do a patch test for a week maybe. I just don't want you too have any damage! I'm sure you will be fine though. :)