Aloe Vera Hair Rinse?

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by KurlyNinja, May 12, 2012.

1. KurlyNinja

KurlyNinja New Member

I have been using 100% aloe vera on my hair after I co-wash as a hair rinse and its been LOVELY! It feels so cool and refreshing on my scalp and I actually have not seen ANY type of dandruff on my hair like I usually do. And dandruff is something I've been trying to fight off for a long time now. It got a lot better after I stopped relaxing but it was still there a bit sometimes.

Also now that I've started rinsing my hair with aloe vera, my hair has stayed more moisturized and its so soft and a supple. I've only done the rinse 4 times so far but I think I'm going to keep it as part of my reggie. I'll be sure to update this thread with the progress of the aloe vera rinses. This is the aloe vera liquid I've been using for my rinses.

[​IMG]

I didnt see anything about Aloe Vera rinses on the forum anywhere so I decided to start this thread to see if anybody else is doing this. I highly recommend it for anybody having scalp issues, since aloe vera is known to help with healing. I also wanted to post a few articles I found on Aloe Vera and hair.

2. KurlyNinja

KurlyNinja New Member

I'm really interested in finding more about aloe vera and hair. I'm going to go to my school's campus library tomorrow and try to find some articles on aloe vera and hair. Hope these help some.

3. mg1979

mg1979 Well-Known Member

I used this same aloe vera on my scalp the first year after I stopped relaxing too. My scalp was really damaged from relaxers. The dandruff also got better after I stopped relaxing but I still needed more & I felt like this helped. I used it in mixes sometimes to because I liked that it didn't require refrigeration like aloe vera gel. I always wondered if it had the same benefits but no one else really talked about it for hair.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

4. faithVA

faithVA Well-Known Member

KurlyNinja, How much are you using to rinse? And you spraying it on, pouring it on or applying it with your hands?

After you rinse then what are your next steps?
    How often are you using it a week?

tia

5. TraciChanel

TraciChanel Well-Known Member

KurlyNinja, below is a link to another thread started last year about aloe juice for the hair. It definitely does wonders for my hair. But, I never really use it as a conditioner. I may try that too. I just use it as a rinse currently. Thanks for posting this!

Old link: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=548951

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

6. nickmack

nickmack New Member

I've been using aloe vera juice + water in a refrigerated spritz bottle for a month and some change now - and I have ZERO scalp problems now! My sister and I have seb derm on our scalps and I've also started spritzing her hair + scalp with the AVJ while she's in braids and for the first time in YEARS her scalp is free of flakes and irritation. She was using a topical ointment from the dermatologist but it decreased the flakes and inflammation...when we added the daily AVJ spritz it completely eliminated it.

I haven't tried an actual rinse with AVJ though, this may be something to look into. AVJ has left my scalp and my hair very, very happy :)

7. BraunSugar

BraunSugar New Member

I have never used it as a rinse, but I have put it in a spray bottle to use as a detangling aid and a moisturizer. I also add it to my DC mixes.

8. jessicarabbit

jessicarabbit Well-Known Member

wow this is really amazing. I love Aloe vera juice. Its another one of those magical natural ingredients like coconut oil. I didnt know it had protein-like qualities too, no wonder it decreases my breakage.

9. MicheePrings

MicheePrings Well-Known Member

I have been using aloe vera juice in my deep conditioner mixes for over a year now. It helps to smooth down the hair shaft and makes the conditioner that I am using absorb better into the hair. I'm sure it has aided in scalp issue as well because I don't get the itchy scalp like I used to.

caliscurls likes this.
  10. Dposh167

Dposh167 Well-Known Member

its a good PH balance for mixes. it helps close the cuticles

11. KurlyNinja

KurlyNinja New Member

faithVA

I take about 1 cup of the liquid aloe vera and pour it over my head in the shower after I co-wash. I try to make sure that I get aloe vera on all parts of my scalp. I focus more on getting it on my scalp since its helping with my dandruff and thats usually good enough to get all of my hair as well. I then squeeze any excess liquid out and add my leave-in and sealant (usually castor oil). And now since its the summer I'm doing lots of WnGs so I've been putting flaxseed gel over the castor oil.

My hair has been MOISTURIZED. Its super soft and I havent really seen any new SSKs ( I just got a trim so all my SSKs were gone). Its also been having a nice natural sheen to it as well. I've been doing the rinse on an average about 2x a week since I co-wash every 3-4 days.

12. guyanesesista

guyanesesista New Member

dp................................

13. guyanesesista

guyanesesista New Member

Yup it has 18 out of 22 amino acids. Also using the juice from the bottle is way different from using it straight from the leaf. When using the bottled juice I get more of a ph balancing, moisturizing effect and with the leaf I get more of a protein effect and it s some strong stuff. I blended and covered my relaxed hair in it a few years ago to discover how very strong it really is. Lawd my hair was stiff. Aphogee move over!!!

14. Shay72

Shay72 Natural, 4A

I've been using aloe vera juice for a minute. I starting using it initially for Chicoro's prepoo recipe. I made a mix of aloe vera juice and whatever oil I was feeling when I made the spritz. Also recently made a mix of distilled water and aloe vera juice. I think I got that idea from @Eisani. I use either of these mixes for moisturizing (most times dry hair) my hair. Now that I'm making my own tea spritzes I'm adding aloe vera juice to them too. My hair :love: aloe vera.

When transitioning and doing wet twist outs I used aloe vera jelly to twist. Nothing else. Amazing twistouts. No stickiness. Moisturized hair.

Thanks @KurlyNinja for starting this thread. Now I have another way I can use it.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  15. kinchen

kinchen Well-Known Member

I am trying this tonight

16. soonergirl

soonergirl New Member

thanks for the tip... I have it in my spray bottle, dont know why i never rinsed with it..I love George's brand aloe.

17. KurlyNinja

KurlyNinja New Member

kinchen

Will you tell us how the rinse worked for you? Im really hoping others try it so I can know their results as well.

18. kinchen

kinchen Well-Known Member

It felt very soft. I put some in a spray bottle with a little coconut oil and water

19. KurlyNinja

KurlyNinja New Member

I also started putting liquid aloe Vera in a spray bottle mixed with rose water and glycerin. I've been using it as a daily refresher for my WnGs. I feel like I'm living in moisture city and my scalp all always feels so refreshed.

20. Nix08

Nix08 Relaxed, 4B

I'm going to be on this TONIGHT:yep:

21. KurlyNinja

KurlyNinja New Member

Nix08 please come back and tell us how it goes!!

22. Nix08

Nix08 Relaxed, 4B

23. KurlyNinja

KurlyNinja New Member

Nix08 that's fine! Im looking for results from everybody. I just want to spread the goodness of aloe Vera for all hair types. Im want to start an aloe Vera challenge but don't know if others would be willing to join.

24. Nix08

Nix08 Relaxed, 4B

KurlyNinja I'll join you if you do an Aloe Vera challenge, I love me my aloe:yep:

25. Ronnieaj

Ronnieaj New Member

I love aloe vera juice; I use it in my acv rinses at a pretty healthy percentage. It's also in my leave-in at a high percentage. The only caution that I'd make is that it normally has a pH of 4, which can be borderline in terms of its causticness (but which also helps close the cuticle amazingly well, which may be why the hair feels so deliciously soft :yep:). That's why I do mix it with water; I personally like my rinses to be at a 4 pH if I'm going to rinse it out and a 5 if I'm going to leave it in. I quite literally keep a gallon at the house at all times.

26. KurlyNinja

KurlyNinja New Member

Ronnieaj

Is that the PH of the distilled liquid aloe vera as well? Or just the juice?

27. Shay72

Shay72 Natural, 4A

I would join a challenge too KurlyNinja. I used the aloe vera juice as a final rinse on Sunday and I really liked it.

28. leigh.hill

leigh.hill Active Member

Thank you soooooo much. I have a gallon of aloe vera juice in my fringe. I just it in my shampoo with tea tree oil to help treat my seb derm but I was not impressed. I will definitely try your technique and some of the other ones listed on this thread.

29. hair4romheaven

hair4romheaven Well-Known Member

I dont rinse but I use it before cremes to twist hair. Once hair is twisted for weeks at a time I soak my ends and put on scalp. It reduces & untangles ssk on my ends.
    I use inner filler so I put in protein shakes and use on face.

30. Ronnieaj

Ronnieaj New Member

KurlyNinja,

I would be lying if I said I knew. But given that I've read (when considering buying powdered aloe vera to make my own juice) that 1 part of the powder to 100 parts water equals pure aloe vera juice, and that's a pH of 4, I would expect that distilled aloe vera would be around the same pH, and perhaps lower. But that's admittedly just speculation.