Alopecia

Jen

[ QUOTE ]
I'm all for getting a second opinion, but British did say her dermatologist actually told her not to continue relaxing.

I agree that relaxers are not always to blame for alopecia areata because there are many varying causes but maybe in British's case it is.

Jen, do you not think that she should get a second opinion from another dermatologist or trichologist before considering relaxing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm all for following the doctor's advice. British's dermatologist, upon a medical examination, told her to stop. She seems happy enough with the doctor's assessment and course of treatment. A second opinion would be unnecessary if she has no doubts regarding the doctor's ability to treat her condition.

On this matter, I know two things: I know that dermatologists sometimes can't do a thing about alopecia. The cremes the doctor gave my sister didn't do a thing to help her hair come in, and the doctor told us as much when she prescribed them. She said the hair might just need to come back on its own, without the aid of cremes or vitamins. So it did and continues to do when members of my family lose patches of hair.

And I know that, in *my own experience* with alopecia areata, continuing to relax did *me* no harm. I understood British's original post as asking about people's experiences with such a thing. In response, I offered my own story and also a website. I make no explicit recommendations, other than considering a wider range of possible options. Perhaps I misjudged her question?