Alter ego GArlic mask: Why it works

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
There was a thread posted a few days ago where I stated I was going to write a post on why Alter ego Garlic mask works so well so quickly.

Well here goes:

Ingredients:
Ingredients: Agua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Diapalmytoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate, Parfum, Cyclomethicone, Limonene, Dimethiconol, Benzyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Linalool, Hexyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Citric Acid, FD&C Yellow 5, FD&C Blue 1, Triticum Vulgare Sprout Extract, FD&C Red 4, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Allium Sativum Extract, Cochlearia Armoracia Extract, Ferula Assa Foetida Extract, FD&C Blue 1

What I have highlighted is what I am going to address:

Allium Sativum Extract: better know as garlic extract.
many of us know the effects of garlic and how it helps to decrease shedding. It contains sulfur which strengthens the follicle and it helps to decrease bacteria on the scalp that can contribute to the follicle being suffocated which in turn causes hair shed. Taken internally it can take up to 6 weeks to work, used whole on the scalp can work almost immediately. There are many home remedies all over that include garlic as a quick go to to help reduce shedding. I mentioned garlic is strenghtening so it should only be used on the scalp.

Cochlearia Armoracia Extract: aka Horeseradish
Horseradish can also contribute in the reduction of shedding.From what I have read it allegedly ( I say this because I have never seen nor heard of it working)helps to improve the bloodflow to the scalp and improves follicle regeneration: http://www.beauty-tips.net/hairtips/generalhair/taking-care-of-hair-2.htm#axzz1ILCElD7k

This website has a homemade recipe: as always use at your own risk
http://www.food.com/recipe/horseradish-hair-treatment-414346

Ferula Assa Foetida Extract: aka Asafoetida
A little reading for you. I knew this ingredient to be used in Indian dishes to help prevent stomach gas after eating bean dishes. It also adds a onion flavor to the dish since many Indians dont eat them. A curry powder I purchased has this ingredient included to make it easier to make food dishes. The ground plant is incredibly difficult to find in its pure form because it is very smelly and expensive. Most Indian stores add a filler to the product.
More reading for you:
http://ayushveda.com/blogs/health/asafoetida-uses-and-usage/

This one was a bit more difficult to find out why it works on reducing shedding. After 30 minutes I finally found it here listed as (Ferula Assa Foetida (Asafetida) Extract: http://www.heilmoor.ca/glossary_of_ingredients.html
basically it helps to clarify the scalp which I think assists the other two highlighted ingredients to work faster. From what i have seen this ingredient is common in European hair products. I have also seen it in some Phyto products.

Science majors may find this particularly interesting: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/5676016...ine-From-Ferula-Genus-Plants---Patent-7371886

Something I have noticed when I tried this for the first time: The scalp has to be fairly clean. If there is alot of buildup on the scalp this will not work.

This product should be followed as per instructions. Since we know shedding is normal I would not use this often.

For those that live iin Manhattan, there is a new BSS on 125th St Btwn 7th & 8th and they carry the small on for 18.99 plus tax.

Last edited:

Missjae09

very interesting info.. i have been toying with the idea of adding garlic to my deep conditioner, i'm assuming i should use fresh garlic cloves or will the garlic work in any form???

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Missjae09, I will let MJ answer you also but in my experience, AE Garlic worked on the first usage whereas fresh garlic took several treatments to generate the first use AE results. Plus, it smells a lot better. Requires less mixing, chopping, preserving, etc. Far more convenient although not as inexpensive as using fresh garlic.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
@Missjae09, I will let MJ answer you also but in my experience, AE Garlic worked on the first usage whereas fresh garlic took several treatments to generate the first use AE results. Plus, it smells a lot better. Requires less mixing, chopping, preserving, etc. Far more convenient although not as inexpensive as using fresh garlic.

@divachyk

Your answer was excellent.

If you choose to use fresh garlic I would suggest using alot (like the woman did in the link I posted) and making sure to use a conditioner that will not prevent the garlic from working. Remember its the juice from the garlic that does the job, so make sure to smash well. Blend it if you can and smear it all over you scalp.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
IMHO: Everyone should always keep this in their Stash. It is a 'Staple' that I will never be without. It's like a spare tire. You may not need it, but it's always good to have. (Because you'll never know when you might need it).

I keep mine on hand mostly for after Relaxing. It's my Go-To DC I use for the few days/weeks post relaxer.

Lita

IMHO: Everyone should always keep this in their Stash. It is a 'Staple' that I will never be without. It's like a spare tire. You may not need it, but it's always good to have. (Because you'll never know when you might need it).

I keep mine on hand mostly for after Relaxing. It's my Go-To DC I use for the few days/weeks post relaxer.

I keep this on hand as well & I use garlic oil to pre poo..Sometimes I dont have time for all of that..lol

*This is a staple of mine...Alter Ego!

Happy Hair Growing!

Angelicus

I have somewhat of an off topic question. Are there two Alter Ego Conditioners? The reason why I ask is because the jar I have is for the hair, but there was another jar with directions stating to apply and massage in scalp. TIA.

outspokenwallflower

As someone already stated, are there two? Which one are ya'll raving about? The one in all all white container with the picture or garlic that says nourishing on the side? Or the one that's a bit mnore colorful, says alter ego in a small orange box and has a pic of garlic on it?

Angelicus

Thank you again for this wealth of information. I've only used it twice... my sweet asian roommate/guest however has already use 1/2 of my jar in only 4 weeks. Maybe I'll ask her if it is working.

Hi Jiki. :wave: You are heavy-handed, girl, and I am calling you out! Playa, my Suave Shea and Almond is gone and there is one drop in the VS So Sexy bottle lol.

Amazhaan

Would someone post a pic or link to where you purchased yours from?

I'm checking Amazon and its named differently, so I want to make sure I purchase the right thing.

TIA...

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

smoothie696

Would someone post a pic or link to where you purchased yours from?

I'm checking Amazon and its named differently, so I want to make sure I purchase the right thing.

TIA...

Beautyofnewyork.com has it at the cheapest price I've seen so far.

LaBelleLL

is the product you are referring to ladies:

Alter Ego Impac Ego with Garlic Hot Oil Treatment 16.9oz

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
is the product you are referring to ladies:

Alter Ego Impac Ego with Garlic Hot Oil Treatment 16.9oz

I've also purchased it in this Packaging.:yep: I think the packaging must change from time to time.:perplexed

Looks, Smells, Works the Same. (I think it's just the packaging).

Right now the one I have is the one Outspoken referenced.:yep:

I've never had one in an Orange Box tho':nono:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
very interesting info.. i have been toying with the idea of adding garlic to my deep conditioner, i'm assuming i should use fresh garlic cloves or will the garlic work in any form???

or buy a garlic liquid concentrate like this:

drmuffin

I overnight DC with it and let me tell ya: I <3 AE and AE <3 me! :love: When I washed it out my hair was so yummy! :lick: My mini curls felt sooooooo moisturized, I added my KCKT and KCCC and I'm good to go! Annnnnd, it even makes my pillow smell good! :sleeping:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Don't get too wrapped up in the name like I did when purchasing because there are different packaging for the same item. Mine is Garlic Mask purchased from bluebeez whereas others has the one that looks like the one IDareT'sHair has.

drmuffin

I do have a question though: Does it make anyone else's scalp itch like crazy or am I alone on this one?

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
@drmuffin It is not okay for your scalp to itch after using any product. It is possible that your are allergic to one of the ingredients. I always suggest a patch test when using products with ingredients that are not common.

I suggest you stop using it and consider using a homemade garlic conditioner; I included a link to one that seemed to help the oung lady.

ETA: I saw you did an overnight DC with this. With any treatment I would try to stick with the directions. Try it again as directed and see if your itchiness comes back.

Last edited:

rririla

ok....so I have been tempted to buy this product for 8 months now, but all the ingredients further up on the list don't seem that great, and the active ingredient (garlic) seems to b way down on the bottom meaning it comprises a relatively small amount in comparison to the other ingredients....but you all say it works well.....I may have to reconsider this product, but my question is.....does it give a ''cony'' feel to the hair?....and does it weigh it down?....TIA for any answers you ladies can provide.....