Am I crazy

butterfly3582

I live in Nashville TN. I am seriously considering driving to ATL to go to Sharon at Salon Balisi to get a corrective relaxer. (about a 3 hour drive)

I have not had a good relaxer since Dec 08. I had two attempts at self relaxing that failed (so that is not an option) :wallbash:

I really need somebody that knows what they are doing. My hair is growing and healthy for the first time and I am not trying to risk it.

I have gotten a review or two for local salons but nothing like the reveiws for Sharon.

What do you ladies think? Should I drive to ATL for my corrective?

Thanks

butterfly3582

It is more about the patience than anything. I have a lot of friends in ATL so I can stay with them and visit. I just really don't want to drive it (altough I may get my husband to drive for me). But than again I cant find any good ones in Nashville or even Chatanooga and I really dont wan to put my hair in just anybody's hands ever again. Maybe I will look at Huntsville (although nashville usually has more options than HSV) I am an hour and a half from there and I am from there also.

Theresamonet

It may seem like a bit much...but giirrrlll, if that's your only option for avoiding a setback I would be taking that 3 hour drive.

butterfly3582

^^^I was thinking the same thing. I don't mind going back to my nashville stylist once I get a corrective. She is actually pretty good at doing a touch up, she had pretty good procedures before and I have worked with her so she knows what I expect. I just got all hype about self relaxing. But I just don't completely trust her to do a corrective. Or anybody in Nashville currently.

I just like the reviews for Sharon and the fact that she is a board member makes me more comfortable that she will understand where I am coming from when I talk to her.

SmartyPants

It is more about the patience than anything. I have a lot of friends in ATL so I can stay with them and visit. I just really don't want to drive it (altough I may get my husband to drive for me). But than again I cant find any good ones in Nashville or even Chatanooga and I really dont wan to put my hair in just anybody's hands ever again. Maybe I will look at Huntsville (although nashville usually has more options than HSV) I am an hour and a half from there and I am from there also.

Since it's a 3 hour drive, try posting a Salon request on the Salon Forum and see if a member can give recs for the Nashville/Chattanooga area.

butterfly3582

@ smarty - I did a post and got two responses. One was the salon I was already going to and the other was for another one. I did some research on the other but did not get much additional info.

@fm - Thanks

theislandoll

Girl, you're not crazy at all! I would do the same thing. Would you rather drive around the corner to your local hair salon and end up with damaged underprocessed hair, or drive 1000 miles to go to someone who know how to take care of your hair and won't leave you disappointed?

dachsies_rule!

Girl, you're not crazy at all! I would do the same thing. Would you rather drive around the corner to your local hair salon and end up with damaged underprocessed hair, or drive 1000 miles to go to someone who know how to take care of your hair and won't leave you disappointed?

Cosigning! When i first moved to Houston i went through 5 stylists trying to find a decent one, and everyone of them tried to jack up my hair. So now i drive from Houston to San Antonio every 7 weeks to get a relaxer because she knows what she is doing :yep:!

SmartyPants

@ smarty - I did a post and got two responses. One was the salon I was already going to and the other was for another one. I did some research on the other but did not get much additional info.

@fm - Thanks

How often do you relax? The earliest I relax now is 13 weeks. A 3-hour drive every three months is doable if the local salons are truly horrendous.

JHIANA

I'm trying to find a salon in Nashville who does sew ins. Any suggestions??? I'm transitioning, so I would need a closure as well...

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Honestly...hop up in that car and get your drive on. It's seems extreme, but think of it this way: would you rather spend 3 hours in a car to get it done right OR would you rather spend three months growing out a setback because the person who you went to jacked you up?

Also, it's not so crazy. I relax my hair every 14 weeks, and even though I try to make them at the same time that I'll be home on vacation, of course I can't do that always. And when I can't, I will surely pay my 40 dollars, hop on that Greyhound and take that five hour drive to NYC. Because if I go to someone here and they mess up my hair, I couldn't forgive myself.

So take the car...at least you can make a trip out of it, see some friends and family, and have some kind of fun. Ain't nothing fun about growing out a setback. :nono:

Last edited:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Take some friends and make it a roadtrip. Your hair will be fly afterwards and I hear ATL is fun!

Amerie123

thats not too bad. I knew a chick who would stretch her relaxers (unintentionally i think), and only got her touch-ups done in NYC. We were 4.5 hrs away. But she also went to have fun too. So, you say you have friends down there...it can be a fun thing and your hair is benefitting.

Shananyganz

Girl...go!! Anyone that would say you were crazy is not being completely honest with themselves or they just don't get that it is so much deeper than a 3 hour drive. A corrective RELAXER is no joke, not every "trained professional" knows how to do it. Further, a potential setback after you've done what you thought you were supposed to do and spent the time (you could have driven) to research a reputable local salon, is NOTHING nice to deal with.

If it is seemingly your only option, you have peeps where you going, and hubby might drive....then why not. I live in the Valley and my stylist is back in Long Beach where I went to school; I go to ONLY him for installs. When I was relaxed and not doing it myself, I'd go to him and I'll stay going to him anytime I feel the need for a salon visit. That is my stylist..end of story. Its not nearly as long as a drive as you have (about an hour) but I just as soon get it done right than worry the whole time I am in the chair. I'm. Just. Sayin'.

-S-

Last edited: