Am I suffering from moisture or protein overload?

LittleLuxe

I know this question has been asked a million times and I'm sorry to ask it again. Please nobody throw anything at me I'm just a poor defenseless newbie trying to figure out my own hair. :look: I've tried searching for the answers but I'm still stumped.

My hair doesn't feel musy, it doesn't stretch and then snap. It pretty much just snaps and leaves me staring at it in the palm of my hand. An innocent tug could guarantee a lost hair and a deep sigh. I thought for sure this meant I was in a protein overload and did my part to add moisture to my hair as well as do everything 'right'.

No heat, protective styling, low manipulation. Everyother week I Shampoo 1x a week with oil as a pre-poo, sometimes a 3 minute in-shower conditioner, a deep conditioner and a leave in. On opposing weeks I'd simply do an oil rinse (which I have a feeling i'm doing wrong anyway) and finish with a leave-in.

I moisturize 1 sometimes 2x a day and spray Chi Keratin Mist 1x a day...well the breakage is...less. But pretty much the same problem. Tug, snap, lost hair. Another poster told me this could be a moisture overload which has me :dazed:

What about all that stretching and mushiness I kept hearing that was a sign of moisture overload???

If it is moisture overload should I up the Keratin Mist or use something like Joico Reconstructor on my washe days? So confused.

wannabelong

It sounds like you have protein overload. I think CHI Keratin Mist is a protein and you should moisturize with something that does not have protein in it. Also, what are you deep conditioning with?

ETA: After reading your post in another thread, I agree with Supermodelsonya. It looks like you are getting too much moisture. When you stated "My hair doesn't feel musy, it doesn't stretch and then snap. It pretty much just snaps and leaves me staring at it in the palm of my hand," that made me think protein overload, however after you listed your regimen I think you need to incorporate more protein in your regimen. My hair gets mushy when I've gotten too much moisture but everyone's hair doesn't react the same way. Try deep conditioning with a protein conditioner/reconstructor every week and stop the co-washes/oil rinses until your strands get stronger.

Last edited:

supermodelsonya

Okay I just read your response in the other thread.

Sounds like moisture overload because of the products you are using. I noticed that a lot of people are more scared of protein overload than moisture overload. That CHI keratin mist is a light protein and may not be enough for your hair.

Add some protein to your regimen. Again protein is what locks the moisture in the strands.

ms.blue

I believe that you are having protein overload. I think if you not using heat then you don't need the chi keratin mist.

frizzy

It sounds like protein overload or just dry hair. What products are you using for moisture? Did you say that you deep condition in the shower?

Monroe Lee

I remember reading an article by Sistaslick on here that spoke on this issue. When in doubt about whether one has protein vs moisture overload(ie, when your hair is misbehaving :grin:), you should do a porosity control treatment to balance the ph level of your hair. This is a way to create a clean slate, so that you equalize your hairs porosity and ensure predictable results for the next treatment. After the porosity control treatment, you can do a protein treatment followed by a deep moisturizing treatment. Your hair should respond better to treatments at this stage and I'm sure you should see a significant difference. Let me know if this works. You can grab Roux Porosity Control Corrector and Conditioner from Sallys. HTH

NIN4eva

"My hair doesn't feel musy, it doesn't stretch and then snap. It pretty much just snaps and leaves me staring at it in the palm of my hand."

I'm curious. If there's no stretching or mushiness, how can she have moisture overload?

frizzy

I don't think OP has an overload of anything, it sounds like just dry, undernourished hair. It's really not enough info in her post to make an accurate "diagnosis".

1. What moisture products do you use?
2. When's the last time you clarified your hair?
3. What kind of oils do you use?
4. Do your products contain a lot of silicones?
5. How often do you use heat to style your hair? What types of tools? When did you stop?
6. Clipped your ends lately?
7. How's your porosity?
8. Are you relaxed or natural?
9. Is your hair color treated?
10. How is your nutrition?

Break it down OP, break it down.

NIN4eva

Ok, I just looked at the other thread as well. I think we're having an issue with the language being used here. I don't think you have an "overload" of anything. I think your strands need strength. I would do a protein treatment... Aphogee 2 min (I've been using this one for about 2 weeks and I've noticed no ill effects), Nexxus Emergencee (People say this one's a heavy treatment but it did not make my hair hard. i'loved it but it's pricey though) or Aphogee 2-Step (this one's the serious business, will make your hair feel harder for a while). Do your research on these 3 and try and pick the best one for your hair type. I'm no expert yet (I start cosmetology school in July) :) but this is what I would do.

When was the last time you clarified? I also agree with Monroe Lee above. Introduce Roux PC into your regimen.

NIN4eva

I don't think OP has an overload of anything, it sounds like just dry, undernourished hair. It's really not enough info in her post to make an accurate "diagnosis".

5. How often do you use heat to style your hair? What types of tools? When did you stop?
7. How's your porosity?

Break it down OP, break it down.

lol, we're on the same page!

MissMusic

After reading your post in Russet's thread, you definitely need to do a porosity treatment and then use a protein treatment. You do not have a protein treatment in your regimen at all, CHI Keratin Mist is not enough. I would go with Aphogee or Joico. HTH!

LittleLuxe

Wow you ladies are smart, lol. Thanks for all the responses!

To answer some questions:

Hydratherma Naturals as a moisturizer, Jane Carter Nourish & Shine to Seal, sometimes Profectiv Mega-Growth oil on ends to seal. This past weekend I used Avocado Oil as a pre-poo, shampooed with Elucence, used Garnier Frutis 3 minute mask in the shower, deep conditioned with ORS Olive Oil Deep Conditioner with Jamaican Black Castor oil mixed in. Finished with Hydratherma Naturals leave-in.

Never, I just bough a clarifying shampoo and am waiting for it to come in the mail.

Avocado, GrapeSeed, Coconut, Olive on hair as pre-poos. Vitamin E, Rosemary, Cinnamon, Peppermint, and Emu Oil for scalp massages.

Good question, off to check that out now.

Haven't used heat for....maybe 2 months+? Even then it was only heat from one of those standing dryers.

Yes, about...6 weeks ago.

7. How's your porosity?

What?

Relaxed.

Nope.

Cough.

beautyaddict1913

Since you are relaxed you definitely need to incorporate a deep protein treatment into your regimen, check the board to see how often it is recommended for relaxed hair. When hair just breaks with a gentle tug its definitely not strong enough, so protein will add strength. And I wouldnt do the 3 minute mask AND the deep condition during the same day ever. Try incorporating a protein treatment and be sure to immediately follow up by deep conditioning with your ORS mixture. Look around the boards for recommendations of pro treats for relaxed hair. If this will be your first time doing one, I wouldn't do aphogee, I would try something lighter.

supermodelsonya

Wow you ladies are smart, lol. Thanks for all the responses!

To answer some questions:

Hydratherma Naturals as a moisturizer, Jane Carter Nourish & Shine to Seal, sometimes Profectiv Mega-Growth oil on ends to seal. This past weekend I used Avocado Oil as a pre-poo, shampooed with Elucence, used Garnier Frutis 3 minute mask in the shower, deep conditioned with ORS Olive Oil Deep Conditioner with Jamaican Black Castor oil mixed in. Finished with Hydratherma Naturals leave-in.

Never, I just bough a clarifying shampoo and am waiting for it to come in the mail.

Avocado, GrapeSeed, Coconut, Olive on hair as pre-poos. Vitamin E, Rosemary, Cinnamon, Peppermint, and Emu Oil for scalp massages.

Good question, off to check that out now.

Haven't used heat for....maybe 2 months+? Even then it was only heat from one of those standing dryers.

Yes, about...6 weeks ago.

7. How's your porosity?

What?

Relaxed.

Nope.

Cough.

SOunds like you've got some reading to do. It's really important to read the sticky threads for information before building a regimen because it's really helpful to avoid setbacks.

Here are some really cool articles that member Sisterslick wrote. They are very valuable and worth burning into your memory.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1476956/protein_and_moisture_balancing_in_black.html?cat=69
http://ezinearticles.com/?Hair-Porosity-Explained&id=1809811

LittleLuxe

Well...I think I am definitely going to add the Joico and see if it helps.

Ironically I still don't fulfill any of the qualifiers for having overly-moisturized hair. No mushiness, no stretching, no sponge-like feelings, hair isn't kept consistently wet, don't wash more than 1x a week.

I also actually do read a lot of sisterslick's articles, lol. I wouldn't even know about the wet test and what's lacking protein vs. moisture if not for her. I have two articles about scalp massage open right now before I even mde this thread. Thanks so much supermodelsonya :)

frizzy

:lachen: You have some good quality products and oils in your stash. I think you will be fine once you get your hair clarified and use one each of a protein and a moisturizing conditioner. Start slow, so you will be aware of how your hair reacts to each product.

Also, beware of the 'cones in products because they will keep moisture out of your hair. Buildup will make the hair feel brittle and dry underneath the slick exterior. Even though I use cones on hydrated hair, after a few days I know by feel that it is time to wash and re-hydrate.

If I were you, I would stick to a moisturizing DC and moisturizing leave-in that has no silicones until you get your hair moisturized and in shape. You will know when it happens.

supermodelsonya

Well...I think I am definitely going to add the Joico and see if it helps.

Ironically I still don't fulfill any of the qualifiers for having overly-moisturized hair. No mushiness, no stretching, no sponge-like feelings, hair isn't kept consistently wet, don't wash more than 1x a week.

I also actually do read a lot of sisterslick's articles, lol. I wouldn't even know about the wet test and what's lacking protein vs. moisture if not for her. I have two articles about scalp massage open right now before I even mde this thread. Thanks so much supermodelsonya :)

does your hair dry faster than normal?

LittleLuxe

:lachen: You have some good quality products and oils in your stash. I think you will be fine once you get your hair clarified and use one each of a protein and a moisturizing conditioner. Start slow, so you will be aware of how your hair reacts to each product.

Also, beware of the 'cones in products because they will keep moisture out of your hair. Buildup will make the hair feel brittle and dry underneath the slick exterior. Even though I use cones on hydrated hair, after a few days I know by feel that it is time to wash and re-hydrate.

If I were you, I would stick to a moisturizing DC and moisturizing leave-in that has no silicones until you get your hair moisturized and in shape. You will know when it happens.

Thanks! I certainly hope so, lol, like I said I feel like I'm *this* close to getting it all right and this breakage was the only thing causing my setback. And believe me none of these products would be bought (or known about) if not for you LHCF ladies. You gals are brilliant!

Hmmm, I don't have many products with cones but I will definitely stay aware of that. I just checked my email and saw that my order has shipped so any day now I should get my Clarifying shampoo and boy am I dying to use it, lol.

NIN4eva

Since you are relaxed you definitely need to incorporate a deep protein treatment into your regimen, check the board to see how often it is recommended for relaxed hair. When hair just breaks with a gentle tug its definitely not strong enough, so protein will add strength. And I wouldnt do the 3 minute mask AND the deep condition during the same day ever. Try incorporating a protein treatment and be sure to immediately follow up by deep conditioning with your ORS mixture. Look around the boards for recommendations of pro treats for relaxed hair. If this will be your first time doing one, I wouldn't do aphogee, I would try something lighter.

She called it in the bolded above! In fact, it seems that there's a lot being put on your head on a regular basis. I would clarify, do a light protein treatment, DC, Roux PC, then slowly introduce the leave-in and oils and such back into you regimen over time on an as-needed basis.

Personally I'm on the fence as to whether scalp massaging is necessary for anything other than inducing a nap.

Aggie

If you haven't clarified your hair in a while, then I suggest you do one soon and use some porosity control conditioner to restore the ph balance of your hair.

I agree with everyone that said this is indeed protein overload. You may need to find a better moisturizing conditioner (preferably without cones as cones build-up on the hair and cause breakage as well).

I would also recommend doing some whole-head baggying overnight with a petrolatum and mineral oil-free water-based moisturizer and sealed with a natural oil. You can probably do this one night at a time and assess your progress after every baggy session to restore the moisture but to ensure that you don't swing from one extreme to the next. Good luck.

CenteredGirl

You may be suffering from general product overload. Try washing your hair a couple times and see what happens. I've been doing this and wow, what a BIG difference!

JJamiah

You may be suffering from general product overload. Try washing your hair a couple times and see what happens. I've been doing this and wow, what a BIG difference!

This is the first thing that came to mind. You really can't pin point anything because too many products are being used. Clarify x 2 and use the least amount of products only what you need. :)

But you can get a better Idea starting with a fresh Canvas *your hair doing this will allow it to take your conditioners be it protein or moisture much better. PC is a good addition I add this to my DC! Good Luck and Welcome.

shai_butta

I agree with the posters suggesting that you clarify. I had been pre pooing regularly on wash day too along with a dozen other things that were just sitting on my hair and after a while it just felt exactly as the OP described it, dry, easy to snap, but with a weakness to it. I tried to figure out what my hair needed (moisture or protein) but then I decided to just wash my hair thoroughly and skip the pre poo for a fresh start. I followed up with an ORS replenishing pak, just to see if it would work and my hair feels right back on track now. Theres still debate as to whether that pak is a protein or moisturizing treatment so I still don't know what my hair needed but it worked and since then i've only used a couple drops of coconut oil to add sheen as needed and my hair has been doin fine.

supermodelsonya

I wouldn't say so, though what's the normal amount of time hair should take to dry?

My hair was bone dry after washing within 35-45 minutes and I thought that it was normal and a good thing.

WOW. LOL . Turns out my hair was over porous.

Look you are getting a lot of replies with different answers. Some say too much moisture, some say too much protein, and so on and so forth.

Clarifying will help once you start with a clean slate. As a newbie, try to keep your regimen simple as possible for now. Its hard to do with new products coming out everyday and people here raving about the next newest thing.

Stick to a few products and a simple reggie and build from there.

Vintageglam

My hair was bone dry after washing within 35-45 minutes and I thought that it was normal and a good thing.

WOW. LOL . Turns out my hair was over porous.

Look you are getting a lot of replies with different answers. Some say too much moisture, some say too much protein, and so on and so forth.

Clarifying will help once you start with a clean slate. As a newbie, try to keep your regimen simple as possible for now. Its hard to do with new products coming out everyday and people here raving about the next newest thing.

Stick to a few products and a simple reggie and build from there.

supermodelsonya how did you resolve the porosity issue?