Am I The Only One Who...

kim1006

takes their own products and tools to the hair salon? For years, before I became natural again, I took my own products to the hair salon. My stylist(s) would use my products and apply an uncharge for getting under the steamer or dryer. Now that I am natural, I usually do my own hair. However, before I "perfected" my high bun, I would take all of my own products and tools to the salon including: hair ties, gel, brush etc. and paid $60.

Recently, I went to have my hair trimmed, which included: shampoo, deep conditioner, blow dry and flat iron. This particular stylist does not style with a round brush but uses a flat iron instead. However, I have heard my hair popping off with her and other stylists' flat irons, so I purchased several flat irons to take with me: bio iconic, chic, sedu, etc. I also purchased a Revair, Supersonic and Airwrap. I chose to take the Airwrap with me. She refused to use my tools although her paddle brush, which she uses for detangling and blow drying was missing several bristles and I could hear my hair popping while she used it. I also recently purchased the Felicia Leatherwood brush.

Not long ago, I discovered Curly Ebony on YT and IG. She conditions and prepares her own hair for a trim by stylists at her local Hair Cuttery. Guess who will learn how to blow dry and flat iron her own hair for the next trim?! You got it. :)

The stylist who I mentioned earlier worked at Hair Cutterys until about 3 years ago.

Last edited:

awhyley

Starting this year, I'm going to start taking my own products. I found a salon that uses Mizani products, but they're too expensive. I'm headed back to my old salon, with my Mizani. I never thought of taking my own tools, but it's a good idea really. You don't really know if/how well their barbecide is working on the tools that they're using on your hair. If I had CurlyEbony's hair, I don't know if I would want anyone to touch it.

(*goes to research the Felicia Leatherwood Brush*)

kim1006

No salon here would probably allow it. I discovered new products I actually like and never heard of before at the salon.

If I have to bring everything I would rather keep my money and diy at home.
Until recently, I would say I have ALL of the tools and products but none of the skills. For me, it is important to ALWAYS use products and tools I know work well, and will not cause damage to my hair. Honestly, I did not mind paying more to use my own products and tools at the salon because it gave me a peace of mind.

ETA: Some of the products I used in the past, I also discovered at other salons.

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

Until recently, I would say I have ALL of the tools and products but none of the skills. For me, it was important to ALWAYS use products I knew worked well and would not cause damage to my hair. Honestly, I did not mind paying a little more to use my own products and tools at the salon because it gave me a piece of mind.

For me, if a salon has skill and suspect product I'd find another salon for better peace of mind. The salon I go to now doesn't use combs or flat irons so they'd look at me crazy anyway lol. But they definitely wouldn't allow personal products. They are very strict about what they use.

kim1006

For me, if a salon has skill and suspect product I'd find another salon for better peace of mind. The salon I go to now doesn't use combs or flat irons so they'd look at me crazy anyway lol. But they definitely wouldn't allow personal products. They are very strict about what they use.

Currently, I only use products from The Mane Choice line, which are not usually available in salons. My goal is to only patronize salons for an annual or bi-annual trim.

No combs?! WOW!

ETA: The first time I encountered someone using their own products in a salon I looked side eye at her. Apparently, she noticed and instead of getting angry she gave me the card to the site she ordered her products. I visited the site out of curiosity and as they say the rest is history.

Later, there were many salons I visited who sold products and sometimes tools, which I purchased. In fact, I purchased my first flat iron at a salon - never used it though.

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

Currently, I only use products from The Mane Choice line, which are not usually available in salons. My goal is to only patronize salons for an annual or bi-annual trim.

No combs?! WOW!

ETA: The first time I encountered someone using their own products in a salon I looked side eye at her. Apparently, she noticed and instead of getting angry she gave me the card to the site she ordered her products. I visited the site out of curiosity and as they say the rest is history.

Later, there were many salons I visited who sold products and sometimes tools, which I purchased. In fact, I purchased my first flat iron at a salon - never used it through.

The short version is they are anti-combs, raw oil, shea butter, probably some other things I'm forgetting. They only do wash and gos.

I think most salon carry expensive brands nowadays so you'd definitely have to bring something more economical like Mane Choice with you.

I know it's not unheard of but I wouldn't be surprised if a salon around here would tell a person no and politely tell them to go somewhere else.

kim1006

The short version is they are anti-combs, raw oil, shea butter, probably some other things I'm forgetting. They only do wash and gos.

I think most salon carry expensive brands nowadays so you'd definitely have to bring something more economical like Mane Choice with you.

I know it's not unheard of but I wouldn't be surprised if a salon around here would tell a person no and politely tell them to go somewhere else.

I agree, salons carry quality products. However, I am sticking with what works best for my hair. Based on my experience, just because something may cost more does not make it better. The Mane Choice was created by medical professionals and for me that goes a long way.

ETA: I would be fine with being told to go somewhere else. If I am spending my money and paying extra for you to use my own products and tools - not to mention the heavy tip you would loose. All I can say is that it sucks to be you. :). I don't ego trip. I move on. Also, I don't understand stylists who allow their fragile egos to get in the way of making good money. Now, if someone said, I am not comfortable using your products because I am not as familiar with them etc., I would understand.

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

I agree, salons carry quality products. However, I am sticking with what works best for my hair. Based on my experience, just because something may cost more does not make it better. The Mane Choice was created by medical professionals and for me that goes a long way.

ETA: I would be fine with being told to go somewhere else. If I am spending my money and paying extra for you to use my own products and tools - not to mention the heavy tip you would lose. All I can say is that is sucks to be you. :). I don't ego trip. I move on. Also, I don't understand stylists who allow their fragile egos to get in the way of making good money. Now, if someone said, I am not comfortable using your products because I am not as familiar with them etc., I would understand.

Definitely agree with sticking to what works. In my experience I hadn't used what they used and found I liked their products too. Unfortunately they do cost more but I'm finding I don't have to use as much product so it kinda evens out.

I can only speak to the salon I go to but with them being pretty strict about what they use they wouldn't care about someone wanting to pay extra. Super thick, super fragrant, sticky stuff they don't use.

I think when bringing your own products you might have to be mindful that the stylist might be allergic or sensitive to an ingredient in what your bringing.

nyeredzi

I have not. I can understand the reluctance from stylists, because they don't know how those products or tools work. Different products and tools require different methods, or produce results they are not expecting. It's kind of like asking them to do something blind. Especially airwrap and revair, which are unique tools. You're lucky to have found a stylist accommodating enough to work with you on that. I do understand why you would want to use your own products, but I think it's pretty rare that that is happening out there.

If it's important to you that they use your tools and products, you should call in advance and confirm that they do that.

kim1006

I have not. I can understand the reluctance from stylists, because they don't know how those products or tools work. Different products and tools require different methods, or produce results they are not expecting. It's kind of like asking them to do something blind. Especially airwrap and revair, which are unique tools. You're lucky to have found a stylist accommodating enough to work with you on that. I do understand why you would want to use your own products, but I think it's pretty rare that that is happening out there.

If it's important to you that they use your tools and products, you should call in advance and confirm that they do that.

Great Points. I believe this is also an opportunity for stylists to learn about new tools and technologies. Stylists should take every opportunity to learn and update their skills, in my opinion.

fletgee

Bringing my own products to my stylist was a weekly thing. I had discovered the products that worked well on my hair and wanted her to use them. When I sat down in her chair she would ask me for "her" bag. Once another client got up from under the dryer, picked up my conditioner and told my stylist she wanted it used on her hair. As my stylist took the bottle from her hand she said: " Sorry these are my clients personal products which are only used on her hair."

kim1006

Bringing my own products to my stylist was a weekly thing. I had discovered the products that worked well on my hair and wanted her to use them. When I sat down in her chair she would ask me for "her" bag. Once another client got up from under the dryer, picked up my conditioner and told my stylist she wanted it used on her hair. As my stylist took the bottle from her hand she said: " Sorry these are my clients personal products which are only used on her hair."

Thanks for sharing. Your stylist sounds both confident and accommodating. This has been largely my experience also.