Amber Guyger Trial Begins

Jmartjrmd

The trial is streaming live on YouTube so I'll continue to watch
Day 1 had a lot of pretrial stuff. One channel I'm watching has a former judge breaking stuff down so that was helpful.

States opening tidbits
*Bothom was chillin at home minding his business eating some icecream.
*His door was ajar
*The trajectory of the bullet suggests he was crouching down in a defensive stance rather than in an aggressive I'm coming after you stance
*They brought up he smoked marijuana because the defense is going to
*Amber worked an OT shift that day from 8am to 930pm
2) A lot was pointed out as to why a reasonable person would realize they were on the wrong floor
a) she parked on 4th floor
b) the sign on the door indication she was on 4t floor
c) she aalked past 16 apartments with 14XX on the door and never realized she was on 4th floor before getting to hers
d)missed some familiar "landmarks" from her neighbor.. some kind of plant she had outside her door that was always there
e) a red mat in front of Bothams door... she had no mat in front of her door
f) his place smelled like marijuana and was cluttered and there her place was tidgz) a table she had in line of sight once in her place was not in his
g] the door was not locked so they suggested she would remember is locked her door when leaving that morning

Other points they made:
Upon leaving the PD and driving home she and the boyfriend were making plans to get together through texts and a 16 minute phone call. At one point while on the call she pulled over to talk to him before making it to garage. she parked on 4th floor of garage which is open air while 3rd floor isnt
*She texted her boyfriend twice (officer as well) while she was supposed to be attending to victim ( so during 911 call)then later deleted those texts but they were recovered

Her 911 call..... he said you might feel sorry for her listening to it until you hear evidence of how she tried to cover her @@@. I'll post link to her 911 call. she says "I thought it was my apartment" like 20 times. And at one point says "I'm so tired"

I fell asleep on defences opening but I will go back and watch but they are going to use sleep deprivation and self defense for her. She 0leaded not guilty

Last edited:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
@Jmartjrmd - no offense, but would it be OK with you if we dedicate the thread title to Botham Jean instead? I'm all for not giving notoriety or even acknowledging the suspect in a crime and instead focusing on the victim. It's up to you..but when I first read the thread I looked up her name and realized it was the trial for his murder... she's not the victim.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
I don't know...I listened. The woman sounds like she is having a genuine full blown panic attack. It fits her version of events.

When the case first broke there were so many conflicting stories including that they had dated or something.Then add in the race factor, I was sure it was premeditated.

Now, not sure. She could have been distracted by boyfriend to not notice she was on wrong floor, she was tired/fatigued, it was dark etc. It is plausible that the truth is that simple.

But there are questions like about the music. They need to set the record straight about the facts.

Jmartjrmd

Ok the defense opening
* Amber chose where she wanted to train based on the diversity of the area (due to racial tension in the case)
* Amber was not in a relationship with the officer she texted
* Amber was tired. She worked a long shift. She had trouble sleeping. went to bed at midnight got up 530am
* amber requested next day off because she was so tired. She texted her friend that she was sleepy
* The apartment complex was confusion with no clear markings as to the floor you are on unless you go look at the number on the rvator
* Amber was on autopilot
* 90+ other tenants have reported during interviews that they at some point also got
off on wrong floor
* ABothomems door had a flaw to it that made it not latch properly when closed
* Amber shot in self defense as he was yelling and coming towards her
* Amber was panicked during her 911 call
* because Amber was on autopilot she didnt notice any of the clues as to her being at wrong apartment t
* Amber is not evil
* Amber feared for her life because she believed an intruder was about to hurt or kill her
* Amber did not have time to realize she wasnt I her place..it was dark and she needed to protect herself quickly

*The state did mention she didnt rely on her training so defense countered with her training g didnt apply to this situation

Jmartjrmd

@Jmartjrmd - no offense, but would it be OK with you if we dedicate the thread title to Botham Jean instead? I'm all for not giving notoriety or even acknowledging the suspect in a crime and instead focusing on the victim. It's up to you..but when I first read the thread I looked up her name and realized it was the trial for his murder... she's not the victim.

Yes that's why I said in first post who she is...I didnt want to put Bothem Jean murder trial because to me it sounded like he is on trial which the defense is trying to do.
But if someone wants to change the title that's fine by me.

Jmartjrmd

I don't know...I listened. The woman sounds like she is having a genuine full blown panic attack. It fits her version of events.

When the case first broke there were so many conflicting stories including that they had dated or something.Then add in the race factor, I was sure it was premeditated.

Now, not sure. She could have been distracted by boyfriend to not notice she was on wrong floor, she was tired/fatigued, it was dark etc. It is plausible that the truth is that simple.

But there are questions like about the music. They need to set the record straight about the facts.
Yeah I'm not sure either. I will listen to rest of the case but I think she'll walk.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I'm watching off/on... I 'm not going to be swayed by her performance... too many facts that contradict her account of what happened. Of concern to me:

1) The Red door mat - who can miss that?
2) Her defense says he was coming at her... how can Botham Jean do that if HE's the one answering the door? He'd likely be on defense/not offense. So did he step out his apartment, toward her?
3) The deleted text messages between her and her police partner, who she called to the scene
4) The angle at which the projectile hits Botham's body would not be that of someone rushing toward anyone...but instead crunching down

She's gonna act all innocent, like Jodi... I'll wait for the physical transformation, including librarian glasses. :nono:

Kanky

I believe her story about not noticing that she was in the wrong apartment. I just don’t care. She belongs in prison. I don’t know if TX has voluntary manslaughter laws but that’s what came to mind when I read the circumstances of this killing.

NijaG

Her story is suspect. I’ve been so tired in many instances, I don’t even remember the route I drove to get home.

Most people subconscious brain takes over when really tired. Unless she just moved into that apartment, she should have found her way to her own unit.

Jmartjrmd

Today Texas Ranger was on the stand. There was some issue with his testimony so he was questioned outside the presence of the jury.

He stated his opinion was that he didn't think she committed a crime and it was reasonable for her to think she was in her apartment.

Interesting enough this shooting happened on 9/6. On 9/9 this very ranger presented to the magistrate a warrant for Amber's arrest on manslaughter charges.

Ultimately the judge ruled she would not allow his testimony as to his opinion of Amber's reasonableness, the position Mr. Jean was in prior to being shot and I think whether or not she should be charged.

They are at lunch now..I'll be back later with more notes I took.

Jmartjrmd

Soooo... did the 9-1-1 operator forget that SHE WAS NOT THE VICTIM? She didn't ask about Botham at any point. WOW.
I thought the same thing
Didnt even try to assist her . rendering aid.

Interesting though Amber was out in hall when the first few officers arrived. So did she even try to help him? The state will bring that up later. I'll see if I can post video.

Jmartjrmd

The other officers get to her at about the 4:45 mark.
This is testimony and body cam from officer Lee

Jmartjrmd

The rest of today was more neighbors. Most of them just said they heard yelling and two shots but couldnt make out what was being said.

Amber in her statement said she gave verbal commands so the state is trying to say no one heard any although his immediate neighbor said she couldnt hear through the walls.

Defense keeps asking every witness if they mistakenly ever went to wrong apt. They said they interview 200+ tenants and had this occur frequently.

Medical examiner was on today. Mr. Jean was 6'1 247 lbs..
amber is 5'3. 120s for reference.
He was shot just above left nipple. Bullet went into left ventricle then traveled to left lung, hit 5th rib then went through his diaphragm, tore through his intestines before resting in a muscle 3 inches from his spine.

ME said he can only say "consistent with" as far as if Mr. Jean was sitting or crouching when he was shot based on the trajectory of the bullet.

Will write more after court tomorrow.

Last edited:

Farida

The whole time I couldn’t help but think the apartment complex has probably worked it’s counsel ragged since this whole thing went down. Because they will very likely be named as co-defendants or cross-complained in a wrongful death suit. Due to the malfunctioning door.

Farida

Today Texas Ranger was on the stand. There was some issue with his testimony so he was questioned outside the presence of the jury.

He stated his opinion was that he didn't think she committed a crime and it was reasonable for her to think she was in her apartment.

Interesting enough this shooting happened on 9/6. On 9/9 this very ranger presented to the magistrate a warrant for Amber's arrest on manslaughter charges.

Ultimately the judge ruled she would not allow his testimony as to his opinion of Amber's reasonableness, the position Mr. Jean was in prior to being shot and I think whether or not she should be charged.

They are at lunch now..I'll be back later with more notes I took.
I was so shocked that the ranger straight jo said there was no crime here. Glad the juru wasn’t there for that. But it does make me feel like this trial is like the Zimmerman one - they don’t believe there’s a case but they want to put one on to placate the public.

Jmartjrmd

The whole time I couldn’t help but think the apartment complex has probably worked it’s counsel ragged since this whole thing went down. Because they will very likely be named as co-defendants or cross-complained in a wrongful death suit. Due to the malfunctioning door.
Yeah I read the civil suit is already in the works. The counsel for the civil case is present at the trial.

Jmartjrmd

I was so shocked that the ranger straight jo said there was no crime here. Glad the juru wasn’t there for that. But it does make me feel like this trial is like the Zimmerman one - they don’t believe there’s a case but they want to put one on to placate the public.
Me too. I was like really dude
Here is a snippet of him

michelle81

Supposedly the jury is 5 blacks, 5 that are Asian or Hispanic and 2 white.
Alternates are mix of black and white.

I think those odds are the best it can get for this type of case. I'm. hoping for a manslaughter conviction and about 10 years in prison based on being so reckless.

Forgot that Judge Kemp is also black. Thankfully she seems to be keeping some of the craziness from the defense out and so that the jurors can't hear it.

Last edited:

Sosoothing

I believe her story about not noticing that she was in the wrong apartment. I just don’t care. She belongs in prison. I don’t know if TX has voluntary manslaughter laws but that’s what came to mind when I read the circumstances of this killing.

I'm with you. I work nights and you wouldn't believe the mistakes I have made from being sleep deprived. It would sound made up to many people. But she still needs to face consequences for killing that poor man.