Amber Guyger Trial Begins

Jmartjrmd

After hearing more evidence and seeing photos I can understand her mistake but I also believe there were multiple chances for her to come to realize them. I believe she was very reckless in her actions.

There were 2 women who said they heard her banging on the door. They took some video of her pacing in the hall after the shooting. wonder what happened to them or if they will be called

Also it bothers me Amber couldnt remain professional. She freaked all the way out. She had no business being a cop. She left that man dying on the floor but she had time to text her partner. How about stay with him and try to render aid.

She may take the stand today. Will be interesting to hear her side.

Jmartjrmd

State rests their case
Alot of states case focused on the ice cream and the red mat outside his door. That's much of what we heard this morning

Interesting they showed her medical gloves that didnt look used at all. She says she rendered aid. Not sure when as she was out pacing the hall and texting her partner. Completely in a panic and never asked the 9¹w.c dispatcher what could she do until help arrived.

Theresamonet

So Botham was sitting in a pitch black apartment eating ice cream? With the door ajar. Okay...

Even if she — by sheer fate, accidentally stumbled into the apartment that happened to have a malfunctioning door, and the occupant enjoys total darkness while they snack, she still is responsible for his death and needs to suffer the consequences.

I personally think there is more to it, but even if it’s not: You don’t get to deprive YOURSELF of sleep, and then zombie walk your ass to my apartment and kill me cause you’re tired. :confused: They should have charged her appropriately with manslaughter.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Yeah I'm not supporting that sleep depravity angle... that's an excuse for the defense.

I know professionals who work long hours and are always sleepy/tired.... you can't can't be THAT sleep-deprived that you can drive yourself home and then consciously pull out a weapon and shoot someone...
So is shooting a person considered an on-the-job mistake for a police officer?

I can see writing down the wrong lab results or logging wrong info in the computer for other professions, like scientists or nurses..and the results could lead to a fatal error if someone dies as a result.

I take it for those in professions that cause them to be sleep-deprived, this shooting is the equivalent to a lab error...?

Last edited:

ThirdEyeBeauty

So Botham was sitting in a pitch black apartment eating ice cream? With the door ajar. Okay...

Even if she — by sheer fate, accidentally stumbled into the apartment that happened to have a malfunctioning door, and the occupant enjoys total darkness while they snack, she still is responsible for his death and needs to suffer the consequences.

I personally think there is more to it, but even if it’s not: You don’t get to deprive YOURSELF of sleep, and then zombie walk your ass to my apartment and kill me cause you’re tired. :confused: They should have charged her appropriately with manslaughter.
Plus she's a police officer who despite being tired she should not conduct herself in the matter she did.

Let one of us do and say half of what she did. Crazy how people want to get off because they consider this a mistake. They even said many times people have gone to the wrong floor. So! And then they turned around when they realized that simple mistake. Not make increasingly worse mistakes after another.

ThirdEyeBeauty

Apparently her lover is a killer too

See I think the motive is they are sick sociopaths who thought it would be fun and if they act dramatic and remorseful, they can get away with it. I know that is a long shot so I am okay with her being punished for making several grave mistakes as an officer.

OneShinyface

This whole case has had my pressure up since it happened last year. She had several noise complaints about him because she would hear him singing while she was in his apartment. So there was a prior relationship, albeit a contentious one.

The red door mat is a super obvious miss on her part. She was sexting with her married partner before she arrived and had a conversation with him for 15 minutes prior to her arrival home. She wasn't that tired. The door was ajar and she went in anyway (that is against DPD protocol anyway) then he is sitting and eating ice cream and she says she felt threatened after issuing commands and shoots downward at him?

She's lying, but my fear is that all the missteps and tainted evidence and the fact that Botham is no longer here will allow her to get off.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
Wow, thanks everyone for sharing more details. Does anyone know how long she has been a cop? Just curious.

So @OneShinyface the part about the noise complaints is fact? I remember reading that when it first came out, but this go round, the media makes it seem that they didn't know each other or of each other at all. SMH. That's why I wanted to know what motive she could possibly have.

I still agree that a trained cop missing so many details prior to entering the apartment is highly suspect.

Also, I am so confused about the reports. He was eating ice cream in total darkness with the door open?? I mean I suppose that is in realm of possible...but....?

And her boyfriend is a killer cop? I can't see the video yet. I wish I could see her having the breakdown in the court room. If she faked a full blown panic attack on the phone, I am speechless.

There has to be more to this bizarre story.

Jmartjrmd

Wow, thanks everyone for sharing more details. Does anyone know how long she has been a cop? Just curious.

So @OneShinyface the part about the noise complaints is fact? I remember reading that when it first came out, but this go round, the media makes it seem that they didn't know each other or of each other at all. SMH. That's why I wanted to know what motive she could possibly have.

I still agree that a trained cop missing so many details prior to entering the apartment is highly suspect.

Also, I am so confused about the reports. He was eating ice cream in total darkness with the door open?? I mean I suppose that is in realm of possible...but....?

And her boyfriend is a killer cop? I can't see the video yet. I wish I could see her having the breakdown in the court room. If she faked a full blown panic attack on the phone, I am speechless.

There has to be more to this bizarre story.
She's been an officer 4 years.

He was home watching football. he has a huge 50 inch TV that was on. also his laptop was on so there was some light.
He had just had his wisdom teeth pulled and that day was given permission to eat ice cream. So he was chillin in his apartment watching tv.
He had gone out a little prior to being murdered to get icecream. The door kept track of time people went in so that's how they know that.
There was a defect in his door so it difnt close all the way.

She said prior to entering she could hear someone in the apartment. She had the opportunity to back out and protect herself by calling for help and taking cover but decided to go in.
She shot from the doorway

she said she gave him verbal commands to show his hands and that she thought he was armed and coming at her

Last edited:

Theresamonet

Yeah I'm not supporting that sleep depravity angle... that's an excuse for the defense.

I know professionals who work long hours and are always sleepy/tired.... you can't can't be THAT sleep-deprived that you can drive yourself home and then consciously pull out a weapon and shoot someone... I'd even accept that she just pulled out her weapon in fear and ask him to leave what she thinks is her apartment and not shoot..but that's a hole in the story that just makes no sense!

I’m not buying this sleep deprivation bs at all. She was sooo sleepy, that apparently she went into some trancelike, autopilot mode, ignoring every detail of her surroundings (a police officer), yet she was sexting her boo at the same time. How sway?

Jmartjrmd

Interedting that she said she broke it off sexually with her partner because she felt it was morally wrong yet they still sending naked pictures and sexually suggestive messages to each other knowing he was married with kids. plus had nicknames for his penis.

And 3 days after the shooting she texting him the same stuff again after saying she deleted the messages because she felt bad. ok girl

Last edited:

Farida

This is why it's most often a bad idea to testify as a defendant. The state's case was pretty weak. But her testimony makes her behavior seem so unreasonable. I could buy being so tired that she got off the wrong floor and blah blah. But her testimony to me shows such clarity in her actions. Let's see what cross and redirect reveal.

Her testimony introduces things that may not have been documented by the state's case.

Theresamonet

Damn, did the defense even try to prep her? Short of having a Sam Jackson, “yes they deserve to die!” moment, I don’t think she could have done a worse job.

Ok the defense opening
* Amber chose where she wanted to train based on the diversity of the area (due to racial tension in the case)

They tried. But in her testimony she said that she wanted that area because it has the most crime and things to do. :rolleyes:

michelle81

Anyone have any idea why there’s a murder charge instead of manslaughter?
I’m guessing Texas laws are very different, but this seems like a clear cut manslaughter case to me.

I think I read somewhere that the jury can convict on a lesser charge if they want to.

One more question to anyone that may know. Is sentencing automatic based on conviction, done by jury recommendations or in the hands of the judge based on the state’s guidelines?