Amber Guyger Trial Begins

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
The problem with the how much time person a vs person b got memes is they are not comparing apples to apples.

First of all, Florida is involved in the second case. The black lady, Marissa Alexander fired a "warning shot" that she said went into the ceiling but was found in the wall behind where her husband was while her son was standing next to him. She was offered a 3 year plea from jump, but decided to roll the dice at trial where what she was charged with had a 20 year minimum sentence. The problem was that where the police found the bullet didn't match her story. The judge/jury couldn't have given her less time if they wanted to so she got 20 years. The system actually worked with her to get that original 3 year plea and she's out of jail. There are a lot of days where I completely understand shooting your husband but you can't lie about ballistics under oath.

Amber Guyger wasn't going into a trial with a mandatory 20 year sentence. The minimum was 5 and she got 10.

Farida

I agree. I'd say about half of my immigrant friends (Indian, Nigerian, Ghanian, Caribbean) do not see race in America the same as I do an never will. I haven't figured out if that's to their advantage or not. Sometimes they don't pick up on the subtle things that I do and I guess that kind of keeps their life a bit simpler and carefree somewhat? On the other hand, they can get caught up in some circumstances quickly due to thinking that some people are their friends when they're probably not.

I will say I found it a little odd that Botham's best friend was a white woman. I know Harding is a PWI, but all of his pics from Harding shown on yesterday only included white friends.

I cannot speak for everyone of course. But in my circle I have seen it.
At least for where I am from we grew up with the privilege of not being minorities. So we didn’t really think about race. I was just who I was, not a black person. Chimamanda Ngozi A gave a good speech talking about she became black when she came to America. White people don’t think about being white. They just are...they consider themselves the standard.

It is a privilege because I don’t carry the weight of race and identity. It takes me longer to conclude or even suspect I am being treated a certain way because of my race. It is not built into my character and experience.

It’s only after living here for years that I have understood more.
And now when I talk to my friends back home we are on a different page. They hardly ever see color when we discuss American issues. They can understand things on a theoretical or academic level but not the nuances. They would easily account for all issues before considering race as an issue.

Even with understanding things more it’s still not something I constantly think about and carry. Because it is not built into my life compared to my relatives who moved here when they were kids or were born here.

I hung out with a lot of white people because my schools and where I lived were mostly white and I didn’t think twice about it. But as I have understood more and started to feel the weight of race in this country my ideas and feelings are shifting. So I can only imagine how I would feel if I had been born here to parents who were born here as well.

Yes it does lead to dangerous situations not so much for me but I see it more with younger kids. My friend is Ugandan and being in a pretty white school and neighborhood her kids never considered themselves different. So they started doing stuff with white kids - trespassing, smoking weed, being out past curfew (the city also has a curfew for minors). She gets so angry and tries to explain to her kids that they won’t get the same pass as their white friends but they don’t get it.

Her older one is actually starting to understand it because he has gotten pulled over multiple times at night by cops. They assume he doesn’t live in the area or that his car isn’t his. It doesn’t help that he chose to pierce his ears and have dreadlocks. In these white areas you need to be clean cut like Botham. They will still stereotype you but not as much as with dreads and piercings.

luthiengirlie

I'm torn. I'm like halfway righteous indignation and halfway.. this is not MY pain and I have no right to dictate how others should act about Thier loss.. what his sister said well He did what HE needed to do.. keep the negativity out of your mouth.. i feel like i have to respct atht

ThirdEyeBeauty

Were there no decent Christian Universities with better diversity than the below average for ethnicity at Harding University that is even less diverse than the city it sits in that has a black population of 7%?

Why all the show for the tv? The sister made it sounds like her little brother is healed because of his actions. Forgiveness is more than a show for us to see.

prettyinpurple

Of course but I'm never shocked when bm act like this. I'm shocked that this rat-faced murderer was somehow able to get these bw under her spell, too. One of the BW jurors did an interview this morning taking about how the prosecutors wanted 28 years but "I just couldn't do it. Amber Guyger will never be the same. She showed remorse and now she has to deal with this for the rest of her life."

I've never seen anything like it.
That interview angered me so much.

Also, they show the white guy who speaks well then put that black woman who does not next to him. We know that was purposely done (unless she was the only black juror dumb enough to do the interview).

I'm mad that the white guy explained things better and gave us an an actual idea of what happened during deliberations. He was pretty emotional. Then the black woman comes along talking about some non-existent remorse was shown. Nope.

Were there no decent Christian Universities with better diversity than the below average for ethnicity at Harding University that is even less diverse than the city it sits in that has a black population of 7%?

Why all the show for the tv? The sister made it sounds like her little brother is healed because of his actions. Forgiveness is more than a show for us to see.
It seems like these Christian school recruit immigrants pretty heavily :/

almond eyes

The family is on Dr. Phil. I enjoy the interview, the mother and sister outraged by the entire thing and the lawyers are on point. They just seem like a family in a lot of shock and pain they are not in denial even the mother mentioned the issue of white privilege. But yes, the younger son is processing everything from the interview and you can see that on his face. I would not want to judge his actions because grief is a crazy thing.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

Jmartjrmd

Now little brother says he didn't know the cameras were on. He thought his hug heard around the world was a private moment.

After sleeping on it I do agree he has to do what he feels is right for him to have peace. Not for me to understand why.

I'm glad mom and sis clarified that they thought the sentence was too light but can't fault them for standing behind lil bro as I did yesterday.

Its been a good distraction discussing this case with you ladies.

Wonder what yhe next big one will be. whatever it is I'll be here lol.

Jmartjrmd

The family is on Dr. Phil. I enjoy the interview, the mother and sister outraged by the entire thing and the lawyers are on point. They just seem like a family in a lot of shock and pain they are not in denial even the mother mentioned the issue of white privilege. But yes, the younger son is processing everything from the interview and you can see that on his face. I would not want to judge his actions because grief is a crazy thing.

Best,
Almond Eyes
Thanks for posting this. Not a fan of Dr. Phil but i'd like to see the interview. Off to find it.

FelaShrine

Of course but I'm never shocked when bm act like this. I'm shocked that this rat-faced murderer was somehow able to get these bw under her spell, too. One of the BW jurors did an interview this morning taking about how the prosecutors wanted 28 years but "I just couldn't do it. Amber Guyger will never be the same. She showed remorse and now she has to deal with this for the rest of her life."

I've never seen anything like it.

Gross. This really has been an irritating week with this mess.

Did any judge hug Treyvon's prents when Zimmerman was let go? whole thing is beyond disgusting.

FelaShrine

I

Her older one is actually starting to understand it because he has gotten pulled over multiple times at night by cops. They assume he doesn’t live in the area or that his car isn’t his. It doesn’t help that he chose to pierce his ears and have dreadlocks. In these white areas you need to be clean cut like Botham. They will still stereotype you but not as much as with dreads and piercings.

Botham and his cleancutness is dead and his killer only got 10 years and getting a hugging tour so..

spacetygrss

I'm torn. I'm like halfway righteous indignation and halfway.. this is not MY pain and I have no right to dictate how others should act about Thier loss.. what his sister said well He did what HE needed to do.. keep the negativity out of your mouth.. i feel like i have to respct atht

The family has the right to feel how they want to feel, but what they DON'T have the right to do is tell other people how to feel. They had NO PROBLEM with people sharing in their grief, so they are going to have to deal with how people react to the verdict and the brother and judge's actions after the trial. This trial gripped this city and the nation. It's a package deal.

luthiengirlie

The family has the right to feel how they want to feel, but what they DON'T have the right to do is tell other people how to feel. They had NO PROBLEM with people sharing in their grief, so they are going to have to deal with how people react to the verdict and the brother and judge's actions after the trial. This trial gripped this city and the nation. It's a package deal.

Understood... man
. This is a mess

BellaRose

Oh geez. I just read an article where it is said the witness got murdered on Friday night. RIP Joshua Brown. This was a message. Don't talk against the police.

Last edited:

Farida

This is why I was
Botham and his cleancutness is dead and his killer only got 10 years and getting a hugging tour so..
Not saying that people won’t go after black people no matter what...but we all know a huge reason we had the outcome is because they tried their darnedest and could only find weed about Botham.

Anyway, I only told that story to illustrate how my friend’s kids don’t have fear and don’t seem to understand what it means to black in this country.