Amber Guyger Trial Begins

Jmartjrmd

Could have been a retaliation killing as more info comes to light.........

Brown had been shot before

Brown had survived a shooting nearly a year before his death, Merritt said.

He was shot near a strip club in Dallas in November 2018, Merritt said. Another person
was killed in the shooting, Merritt told CNN by phone Sunday.

Both Brown and his family believed he was targeted in that shooting by someone he knew and had grown up with.

"And he was concerned that that person might try to come back and finish the job," Merritt
said, adding that the shooter in that case hasn't been caught.

Relatives of the person who was killed, Nicholas Shaquan Diggs, blamed Brown for his death, according to Merritt. He said they "promised retribution," but he did not say who told him so.
Brown moved out of South Side Flats about three months after Jean was killed in September 2018, according to Merritt. He tried to keep a "low profile intentionally until some of the heat from the shooting in November passed over," Merritt added.
He was subpoenaed to testify

Yet, he was thrust into the spotlight of a major trial.

"He did not want to testify in that trial," Merritt said. "He made it clear he had no interest in testifying in open court in that trial."
Despite his protestations, Brown was subpoenaed to testify, according to Merritt, who is also an attorney for Jean's family.

The attention that came with being a part of a high profile trial didn't sit well with Brown, who was bothered by the attention, Merritt said.

"(Brown's mother) knows that her son was really bothered by the fact that he was given a lot of exposure from the trial, a lot of unwanted attention," he said.

Although Merritt said the family wasn't aware of specific threats against Brown for testifying, they did know about comments online calling him a "snitch" and saying he was cooperating with the state.

No suspect

The Dallas Police Department hasn't identified a suspect publicly in Brown's death and does not yet have a motive, according to a statement released Sunday by police chief Renee Hall.

Witnesses told police they saw a silver, four-door sedan leaving the parking lot at a high rate of speed following the shooting and police have asked the public to come forward with information on the case.

Mayor Eric Johnson said in a tweet Sunday that the department would "conduct a thorough investigation into the death of Joshua Brown," and urged people to not speculate about the case before the investigation is completed.

Other officials shared his sentiment Sunday. Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins, who is not a court judge, but is head of the county commissioners said in a tweet Saturday that he shared "the community's profound sense of shock and anger over this evil murder." He said the county and city would "work to ensure a transparent and thorough investigation," adding that career professionals were hard at work on the case and should be extended "grace."

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I’ve been holding my tongue about Joshua Brown but I strongly suspected somebody who been looking for him caught up after seeing him on tv.

Is it possible that the police pointed that person in the right direction? Yes. But cops didn’t do a drive by on a witness days after a controversial court case.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
@Crackers Phinn
Unfortunately, I too held back and was hoping it would not turn into this kind of case as I was hoping for the best for his family. Although I did not watch him in the trial, I did notice in the picture of him in court that he had a lot of tats. I did not want to jump to the conclusion of gang related violence.... but...I did wonder that if it was not a police related retaliation, then who else?

Jmartjrmd

I’ve been holding my tongue about Joshua Brown but I strongly suspected somebody who been looking for him caught up after seeing him on tv.

Is it possible that the police pointed that person in the right direction? Yes. But cops didn’t do a drive by on a witness days after a controversial court case.
Right..

there has been no reliable info coming out in this case yet. Family always says they have no known enemies.

There is even conflicting info as to where he was shot. Attorney Merritt should stop making some many factual statements when he doesnt yet know himself.

Still I hate it for this young man. by all accounts from his old teammates and friends he seemed like a good person who didn't need to succumb to this type of violence.

Crackers Phinn

@Crackers Phinn
Unfortunately, I too held back and was hoping it would not turn into this kind of case as I was hoping for the best for his family. Although I did not watch him in the trial, I did notice in the picture of him in court that he had a lot of tats. I did not want to jump to the conclusion of gang related violence.... but...I did wonder that if it was not a police related retaliation, then who else?

Right..

there has been no reliable info coming out in this case yet. Family always says they have no known enemies.

There is even conflicting info as to where he was shot. Attorney Merritt should stop making some many factual statements when he doesnt yet know himself.

Still I hate it for this young man. by all accounts from his old teammates and friends he seemed like a good person who didn't need to succumb to this type of violence.
The "no known enemies" statement is what set off bells in my head. That statement is straight out the "no snitching but we know/suspect who did it" handbook. Considering that dude was injured in a shooting a year ago, that's a pretty good indication that somebody out there might not like him just a little bit.

Again, I'm not saying the police are above doing dirt. They obviously do dirt. But they don't usually do dirt this sloppily when there's a spot light on them.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Do you think the Dallas PD isn't aware of the first shooting of Joshua?
Right..

ThirdEyeBeauty

Poor Mr. Brown. He did not want to show up to testify. I wonder if there will be any display of compassion for this man and his family.

He must have an interesting criminal record for the judge to react the way she did about him showing up. He burned some bridges somewhere or owed something for someone.

I'm looking forward to the comparisons.

TrulyBlessed

Joshua Brown, the slain Amber Guyger trial witness, was killed in a drug deal gone wrong, police say

(CNN) — Joshua Brown, a key witness in the murder trial of a former Dallas police officer convicted of the shooting their neighbor in his own apartment, was shot and killed during a drug deal gone wrong, Assistant Chief Avery Moore said.
Brown was killed after an argument with one of three men from Louisiana who had met him in Dallas for a drug purchase, Moore told reporters.

A conversation between Brown and Thaddeus Green, 22, escalated into a physical altercation in which Brown allegedly shot and wounded Jacquerious Mitchell, 20, according to Moore. Green then shot Brown twice, police said. Green took a backpack from Brown as well as the gun used to wound Mitchell.

After receiving tips, police obtained a search warrant and recovered 12 pounds of marijuana, 143 grams of THC cartridges, and $4,000 in cash from Brown's apartment.

"As you know, there's been speculation and rumors that have been shared by community leaders claiming that Mr. Brown's death was related to the Amber Guyger trial, and somehow the Dallas Police Department was responsible," Moore said.

"As you know, there's been speculation and rumors that have been shared by community leaders claiming that Mr. Brown's death was related to the Amber Guyger trial, and somehow the Dallas Police Department was responsible," Moore said.

"I assure you that is simply not true. And I encourage those leaders to be mindful of their actions moving forward because their words have jeopardized the integrity of the city of Dallas as well as the Dallas Police Department."

Police have obtained arrests warrants for the three men, including Michael Diaz Mitchell, 32, who was driving the car, Moore said. Only Mitchell is in custody. He's expected to be charged with capital murder.

Brown, 28, was fatally shot Friday at his home in the Atera Apartments, about five miles from his former complex where he, former officer Amber Guyger and their neighbor Botham Jean lived.

Brown teared up as he testified last month in Guyger's murder trial.
After Brown was killed Friday, witnesses told police they saw a silver, four-door sedan speed from the parking lot after the shooting, and police had asked the public to come forward with information on the case.

Almost a year before he testified at Guyger's trial, Brown was wounded in a shooting at a Dallas strip club that left another man dead, police said.

Brown believed he was the target in that November 23 shooting and felt there were "still people out there who wanted to do him harm," said attorney S. Lee Merritt, who represents Brown's family.

Merritt on Tuesday called for Dallas police to recuse themselves from the investigation into Brown's shooting.

Several presidential hopefuls have urged authorities to solve the case. Merritt has called for an independent investigation into the killing, acknowledging that speculation has begun to spread. He said it "doesn't mean there's evidence" of police involvement or connection to the Guyger case.

The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) also requested an investigation into Brown's death.

Jean was shot and killed by Guyger on September 6, 2018. On November 23, Brown was shot at a strip club, Dallas Cabaret South, according to a police blotter item. A full police report on that shooting was not immediately available.

Citing an affidavit, the Dallas Morning News reported that a man had waited for Brown outside the club and the two fought. The man started shooting when Brown tried to leave, wounding his foot, the newspaper reported. Nicholas Shaq'uan Diggs, 26, was killed.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/08/us/joshua-brown-shooting-tuesday/index.html

Crackers Phinn

Yeah, as much as I believe a drug deal gone wrong is possible, I still want an independent law enforcement office to have a looksy cuz I don't trust Dallas PD.

What this story is telling me is that Joshua Brown was a drug dealer who actually gave the police a statement about a murder. What's odd about that is that drug dealers usually don't like talking to the police for any reason.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
Can someone please share what Judge Tammy said about the hug, please? I think my blood pressure may go through the roof if I watch the video, lol, not lol.

Kanky

"I assure you that is simply not true. And I encourage those leaders to be mindful of their actions moving forward because their words have jeopardized the integrity of the city of Dallas as well as the Dallas Police Department."
:lachen: Cops murdering people in their own apartments and having other cops testify that it was justified “jeopardized the integrity of the Dallas Police Department”.

As far as I am concerned they are all murderers. And the weed thing is just lazy. They could’ve at least sprinkled some crack on him. :ohwell:

Jmartjrmd

I don't trust the PD either however all we knew about Joshua was the brief moments he was on the stand. He did not want to testify but was threatened with arrest had he not. I mean we know he smoked weed...he admitted he and Bothom smoked together the day Bothom was murdered. So him having weed isn't far fetched.

I hope his family finds peace that those responsible are identified and hopefully all will be in custody soon.

FelaShrine

I don't trust the PD either however all we knew about Joshua was the brief moments he was on the stand. He did not want to testify but was threatened with arrest had he not. I mean we know he smoked weed...he admitted he and Bothom smoked together the day Bothom was murdered. So him having weed isn't far fetched.

I hope his family finds peace that those responsible are identified and hopefully all will be in custody soon.

smoking weed doesnt suddenly make you a weed dealer. No bg time dealer is going to put themsleves on the stand exposing their lives especially when speaking against a cop. They tried that whole weed bs with Bothom as well so..

discodumpling

Theory: Josh Brown was an unwilling sacrifice. All the buffoonery in the courtroom is beginning to make sense. Bothams Mamas speech makes sense. The hugging of the murderer makes sense. They knew what was coming and possibly what is to come. They were trying to get a head of it.
I am concerned that the violence and get back will reach St. Lucia. There is no telling the limits of the corruption!

Evolving78

Amber was messing with Jean? Just putting a conspiracy theory out there.. maybe Brown was going to testify that Amber and Jean had sex and he played her after that.. that’s why that stupid story of her going to the wrong apartment doesn’t make sense.