American Tourist Returns To Anguilla For Murder Trial

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
An American tourist is accused of killing a hotel worker in Anguilla. He says it was self-defense
By Dakin Andone, AJ Davis and Madeleine Thompson, CNN
Updated 12:09 AM ET, Sat April 27, 2019

Gavin Hapgood

(CNN) A vacationing Connecticut man is accused of killing a worker at a resort on the eastern Caribbean island of Anguilla, according to local authorities.

According to a statement from the Royal Anguilla Police Force, Gavin Hapgood, 44, faces a charge of manslaughter in connection to the death of 27-year-old Kenny Mitchel, a Dominican national and maintenance worker at the Malliouhana resort, in Anguilla -- a British territory in the Caribbean that's a popular tourist destination.

A representative for Hapgood, who was vacationing with his family, said the killing was in self-defense, and that Mitchel was "armed and demanding money" when he showed up to Hapgood's hotel room uninvited on April 13.

The circumstances surrounding Mitchel's death remain unclear.

It's also unclear whether Hapgood has hired a US-based attorney. Reached for comment, Thomas Astaphan, a defense attorney for Hapgood in Anguilla. declined to comment.
An autopsy revealed the cause of death was "prone restraint and positional asphyxia." There were also signs of blunt force trauma to the head, torso and abdomen, Anguilla police spokesman Randy Dick said in a statement.

"His (Hapgood's) daughters were present when the incident occurred," Dick told CNN in an email.

Police said they had no prior interactions with the Hapgood family, and that there was no available security-camera footage of the incident from the hotel.

Hapgood was subsequently arrested and charged with manslaughter, according to police. He was arraigned on April 17, and was initially denied bail, police said.

But after an appeal by his attorney, he was granted a $75,000 bond and left the territory, on the conditions that he return for an August 22 court date and return within three days of each subsequent hearing.

"Based on the legal advice that was given a decision was made to charge Mr. Gavin Hapgood for the offence of manslaughter," Dick said in a statement on the police department's Facebook page.

The spokeswoman for Hapgood said Mitchel had come to the room uninvited and "attacked without warning" before he was killed.

"Neither invited nor expected, the worker showed up unannounced in uniform at the hotel room, claiming he was there to fix a broken sink before carrying out his sudden, violent attack on the family," Kelcey Kintner, a spokeswoman for Hapgood, said in a statement.

"A dedicated father and husband and respected member of his community," she said, "(Hapgood) and the members of his family have been traumatized by the assault they survived and are thankful to be alive."

But Mitchel's uncle, Victor Mitchel, denied that claim to CBS News.

"Kenny was just not a person who'd give anybody problems," he said.

CNN's Paul P. Murphy, Augusta Anthony, Taylor Barnes and Chandler Thornton contributed to this report.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
In reading Caribbean postings... that he caught the guy coloring his wife.. but there are others

https://onemileatatime.com/anguilla-hotel-murder/

The stories never mention the tourist's wife or of her being present on the trip. I'm not denying what you are saying. If she was on the trip, it is odd that there is no mention of her. Inferring that something seems to be amiss.

HappilyLiberal

The stories never mention the tourist's wife or of her being present on the trip. I'm not denying what you are saying. If she was on the trip, it is odd that there is no mention of her. Inferring that something seems to be amiss.

One of the stories said she was videotaping the incident on her iPad. I don't believe he was sleeping with the mans wife; otherwise, both he and the wife would be dead if he was that enraged. Plus, their children were in the room at the time of the incident.

What was he doing in their hotel room? And, why didn't the security people stop the altercation when they showed up. Mitchell was still alive when they showed up! Unfortunately, dead men tell no tales.

Kiowa

^^I doubt he'll be returning....file under #HowToGetWayWithMurder...
One article said that someone from the room called the front desk and asked for him to come to the room by name.

Also he was killed in front of security and staff who begged the killer to let go of him. That's murder smh

Why didn't the security and staff pull the killer off him? They stood they and let him die...aren't they equally Quilty

Supposedly the killer was an ex-military- a marine, which is why he knew how and what hold to enforce...

intellectualuva

I'm glad I kept reading. How was he able to kill the guy in front of security!!?? I don't get why they stood there.

Why does Hapgood sound familiar to me?? Hmmm

intellectualuva

According to the PR firm he hired :drunk:, he nor his daughters called for the guy to come to the room. There is no mention of a wife. They claim the guy showed up claiming he was maintenance to fix the sink and things went south there.

Some interesting quotes
https://darienite.com/scott-hapgood...d-to-death-of-anguillan-maintenance-man-44828

Tensions have been high in the country, particularly on social media, leading to police and the head of the island’s government to issue statements asking people to trust law enforcement authorities to handle the case.

They also reminded the public that tourism is a big industry for Anguilla, and the nation of less than 15,000 could suffer if the public’s reaction caused vacationers to avoid the place.

On-the Record Statement by Kelcey Kintner, Spokeswoman for Scott Hapgood

• Attacked without warning in his family’s hotel room by a maintenance worker who was armed and demanding money, Scott Hapgood acted in self-defense to protect the lives of his young daughters and himself.
  • Despite false reports to the contrary, the Hapgoods never called maintenance. Neither invited nor expected, the worker showed up unannounced in uniform at the hotel room, claiming he was there to fix a broken sink before carrying out his sudden, violent attack on the family.
  • A dedicated father and husband and respected member of his community, Scott and the members of his family have been traumatized by the assault they survived and are thankful to be alive.

I doubt he will face any consequences regardless if he is guilty of murder. smh.

dancinstallion

What good is it to be black in a Black Country if a white man on vacation can kill you in a room full of your own people and be back home comfortable before your funeral?

Reminds me of Emmitt Till, how he was dragged out of the house in front of his family. I mean we all would have had to die that day because I couldn't have just stood there and watched.

What good is security if they aren't going to do anything but watch.

LiftedUp

True. I didnt think about rape...just consensual sex. Either way he may not want the world to know.

I really want to know if they or even his daughters called the frontdesk to ask for him really happened.

I understand now that's what the poster meant. I was confused.