Ammonium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate question

scorpian

I don't usually use shampoos with sulfates because I thought that they were too drying on the hair.I recently purchased Queene Helene garlic shampoo and it has Ammonium lauryl sulfate
I also used to have a shampoo from Ashea that had Ammonium sulfates and Pantene shampoos
My question is is this bad for our hair???
Ouidad who is a stylist who specializes in curly hair of all textures says in her book that Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate is gentler that SLS it is derived from natural coconut alcohols,reduces static,increases pliability,and provides essential moisture

There was also an exert on an Essence website here is the link I also put an exert below http://www.lumiverse.com/p/articles/mi_m1264/is_10_33/ai_97117947
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
What it is: A gentle cleanser. What it does: Removes dirt and product residue, and softens the hair. Product pick: Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo
I had read on another site that Ammonium Laurel Sulfate repels dirt and static so the cuticle stays cleaner longer
After using the garlic shampoo my hair had a nice sheen and was soft
I cond and didn't need as many finishing products
I'm just wondering is anyone else using a shampoo with ALS and having success or was this just a fluke
I was really happy with the results but not sure if it will be damaging in the long run to keep an ALS shampoo as part of my regimen
Any suggestions??

macherieamour

Ive been using shampoos with ALS for the longest. My hair doesnt feel stripped. It actually feels clean but not squeaky clean.

And it hasnt dried out my hair at all so I guess its ok.

It prob depends on the persons hair tho. ALS may be stripping for some people.

scorpian

Macherieamour,

thanks for your response:) My hair is 4b relaxed and I was suprised that it responded so well to this shampoo it was clean just like you said but not stripped
It makes me feel a lot better to know that you use shampoos with ALS(keracare) and you have still have very pretty healthy hair(My hair is nowhere near your hairs length you are one of my inspirations)
now I won't have to give this one up(garlic shampoo)because of the ALS:D :D :D

macherieamour

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah try it out and chuck it if it starts to dry you out.

P.S. How do you like the garlic shampoo?? My pjism is kickin in. Im SUPPOSED to be on a no new products challegne tho:look:

scorpian

I looove the garlic shampoo :D it was only $3 and some change and it is a nice size bottle. they had a lot of different brands I bought the Queen Helene.