An Accidental bit of Moisturizing Mojo....

jujubelle

O great. just as I got weaved up. I have added salt to my conditioner before and it did make a difference. My ends are my main problem in retaining length so I can't wait to take down this install in 4 weeks and do this dc!

davisbr88

Just mixed 3/4 tsp of a mixture of table and sea salt in 3/4 cup of Aussie Moist. No foaming but when I mixed with a spoon, it did come out like whipped frosting, but I don't know if that's because of the salt or if Aussie Moist just makes that texture when it's mixed up...
Will leave it on for about 30 minutes (cause I'm scared) with no heat or cap (cause I'm scared) and will report back!

FRESHstart101

salt huh ?...hmmmmmm (devilish grin) I'll try it :). I take out these funky a$s braids in 7 days and counting ... be back with the results then

lwilliams1922

Ok, I just read mostly all of the pages of this thread (pretending that I dont have a TON of things to do).

I do have some questions...

who is still using it?
any long term effects?
What is the verdict on cones? salt + cone (or NO CONE) is better?
anyone try it with WEN, AOHSR,

I've tried Baking soda and vingar in the past and my hair hated it. :nono: stripped.

NaturalBeauty<3

Ok ladies...So i JUST did this outta pure curiosity....lol.
I mixed mine with aussie moist, honey, salt...lemon juice....n evoo
i kinda just threw all of it in a bowl, no exact measurements. Imma beast like that, lol. :lachen:

It didn't foam...but it was like whipped. I guess? I sat under the dryer for like...30...n my hair got hard n I got semi-nervous. Guessing it was the honey? Idk.
Anyways...when i washed it out....:lick:
butttttta, ladies. But.tta.

It was basically already detangled. N i took a picture for my loves. :grin:
My hair feeeeels soooooo mooooisturized. Soft n fluffy. Even gave a finehaired like me some volume. I'm LOVING it.

O...and I did something I've never done. Maxiglided on 5. I kno, right?! I'm Natural 3c/4a...
sn: Please ignore my makeup-less face n bill cosby pajamas...lol

Last edited:

classychic1908

I still do the fizzle, most of the time I cowash with nature's gate jojoba conditioner mixed with a teaspoon of kosher salt. The best detangler I have ever experienced hands down!

(I sometimes add 1/2 tsp of acv, its not necessary with this conditioner, but with some others, I get better results by using both).

curlyninjagirl

I haven't read this thread but I do know that salt is corrosive and can make the hair dry and brittle. The reason it gives softer hair as a result for some is that it is most likely softening hard water for those of us in areas that have hard water. The results vary and for those of us that don't live in hard water areas, the negative effects of salt would probably be instantaneous.

curlyninjagirl

Just mixed 3/4 tsp of a mixture of table and sea salt in 3/4 cup of Aussie Moist. No foaming but when I mixed with a spoon, it did come out like whipped frosting, but I don't know if that's because of the salt or if Aussie Moist just makes that texture when it's mixed up...
Will leave it on for about 30 minutes (cause I'm scared) with no heat or cap (cause I'm scared) and will report back!

Salt is sometimes used as a cheap conditioner thickener, that's why the texture changed.

Irresistible

Ok, I just read mostly all of the pages of this thread (pretending that I dont have a TON of things to do).

I do have some questions...

who is still using it?
any long term effects?
What is the verdict on cones? salt + cone (or NO CONE) is better?
anyone try it with WEN, AOHSR,

I've tried Baking soda and vingar in the past and my hair hated it. :nono: stripped.
For me the first feeling of it was good, but as I dealt with my hair more , it was stripped, , stripped of oils and protein, didn't feel like 'my hair' but once I put oil and protein back it was all good. I think the initial good feeling is a 'clarified' feeling without the totally stripped feeling ' it's different' that's for sure. I personally didn't do it again. Or didn't see the need to and probably never will. my hair foamed for the longest , that was freaky:lachen: yeah I admit I was freaking out and scared at first, but it was all good with a few oil treatments and protein

now I know I would at least try this if I ever were to get protein overload tho- I think.....I dunno

eta: by the way I did post my results in this thread back then, or a link to another thread I do believe

Last edited:

Irresistible

I haven't read this thread but I do know that salt is corrosive and can make the hair dry and brittle. The reason it gives softer hair as a result for some is that it is most likely softening hard water for those of us in areas that have hard water. The results vary and for those of us that don't live in hard water areas, the negative effects of salt would probably be instantaneous.
you sound like someone when I was panicking after the salt, scaring the ish out of me on my thread. I will never forget that day. It's funny now, but was so not funny then. I do have hard water.....so.....that might be why I was at least ok....but still would not continue to do this....but as we have witnessed many have raved about their results with this. I dunno this one confused me. Plus I still can't believe I was that brave......usually I am not with new things and my hair

davisbr88

So... I did this last night and I have to say that no one here is exaggerating!
My hair felt soooooooo smooth and my curls were so weightless and defined. It felt more like smooth velvet more so than silk. I've never had my hair feel like this before! I was so in love.
And then, I sprayed my hair with my ACV mix (1/4 tsp ACV to 6 oz water) like I usually do after a DC and the softness kinda went away. I don't know what happened - I'm sure there's some chemical explanation.
All I know is, I'll be using this before I straighten next week and will skip the ACV then!
Thanks JustKiya!

SimpleKomplexity

Did I ever post in this thread? I just wanted to say that I tried it. :yay: and I LOVED it :love:

I put 2 teaspoons of salts, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and 1.5 tablespoons of baking soda in a container and mixed them together. I added it on top of Keracare Humecto and my hair was soooo soft after sitting under the dryer for 15 minutes. I had forgotten all about this, but my ends don't look all that smooth so I'm trying it again. *crosses fingers*

davisbr88

Tried it again the other day with Garnier Sleek n Shine DC. Whomp.
I'm sticking with Aussie Moist from now on when I do this!
Thanks again JK :yep:

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
I just tried this with a pinch of salt (I was scared) and my conditioner, EVOO, Jojoba oil and honey and let it sit for 10-13 minutes or so and my hair does feel better and more moisturized...next time I am going to try the whole concoction with lemon juice, baking soda and salt (more than a pinch) and layer it on top of my deep conditioner and then sit under a dryer for a while...then I'll report back, I'm sub'ing! Thanks!

classychic1908

I don't have hard water. I guess this is just one of the many things that works for some and not for others :scratchch

Last edited:

OsnapCnapp!

I have heard of doing this but with that organic sea salt. I am willing to try this because im sick of dry brittle ends regardless of what I put on them

chelseatiara

I just spent two days deep conditioning my hair and now yall want to tell me??! im sooo trying this the next time i wash.....

Louisex3

i tried it, i put a bit in my ors replenishing pak but it made it really thin, like water
got it on now, shall post results :)

Hysi

I tried it te first time with just the salt and the next time I did it I used salt and bs. The first time i didn't really notice anything. The second time the only thing I noticed is my WNG's were better, but that could be attributed to using right on lotion and a little gel. My flat iron was nothing to brag about, but that could have been me. I will see the next flat iron, but I won't use the "potion" as I don't want to do it too frequently.

Sidenote: my shedding is better, but then again that could be the treatments I'm doing, lol. womp womp woommmppppp:look: